Brighton phone-in

Just listening to the Brighton phone-in on Latics Player. What fun!

"Miserable, miserable, miserable" was the opening summary. Commentator gave Brighton 3/10.

They thought the officials looked too much like the Oldham outfield players in the second half.

"Oldham just couldn't believe their luck in the second half. We were architects of our own downfall."

5 home defeats now. Could be the end of their manager, they think.

:cardinal:

Russell Slade (manager) "We weren't so bad between the two boxes. But two soft goals. And a couple of good chances we missed. Oldham were well organised. Better opportunities fell to us. First goal slightly unfortunate, took a deflection. We didn't get too many chances nor did they. We had lots of set pieces and we came mightily close to scoring."

I would class us as average. Would you think we are better?

Brighton are unbeleiveably poor. I don't understand why, but they are.

Yep average, and thats being kind.

Got a team of triers and not much quality but if we're pulling out 2-0 results at a ground we dont have the best of records it'll do for me.

Russell Slade (manager) "We weren't so bad between the two boxes. But two soft goals. And a couple of good chances we missed. Oldham were well organised. Better opportunities fell to us. First goal slightly unfortunate, took a deflection. We didn't get too many chances nor did they. We had lots of set pieces and we came mightily close to scoring."

Excellent summary from him.

Brighton fans have mainly described us as a very poor side.

And Charlton described us as "boring". If we get such negative comments from away fans for the rest of our away games I'll be very happy as it means we are doing something right.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

How refreshing this is compared to the roll over and die attitude we displayed for large parts of last season, nothing like a team that can win ugly with hard graft away from home.

Totally agree with this.

Whether Penney has done a good job or not cannot realistically be judged at this stage. But he has certainly made big changes in a short space of time which is promising for the future.

I don't think there is really anything wrong with boring and dull away from home if it gets results. But I do think we need to turn it on a bit at home, that's really the only way to put bums on seats week after week.

Exactly, when we played under Dowie not only were we very hard to beat both home and away at home we murdered teams- Mansfield 6-0 and Hudders 4-0 in early september spring to mind.

Having said that I think with some of our injuries to key players (and upcoming op for our player of the season so far) DP does have an excuse for simply trying to grind out results at both home and away. When DP wants though we can play some nice attacking football- the last 20 minutes against Stockport being a reasonable example.

I don't think there is really anything wrong with boring and dull away from home if it gets results. But I do think we need to turn it on a bit at home, that's really the only way to put bums on seats week after week.

agree, its alright being boring and getting results away.

but as soon as the floating voters read these comments they will think we are boring at home too and not come to the next match.

Exactly, when we played under Dowie not only were we very hard to beat both home and away at home we murdered teams- Mansfield 6-0 and Hudders 4-0 in early september spring to mind.

Having said that I think with some of our injuries to key players (and upcoming op for our player of the season so far) DP does have an excuse for simply trying to grind out results at both home and away. When DP wants though we can play some nice attacking football- the last 20 minutes against Stockport being a reasonable example.

we were :censored:e at home for a few periods under Dowie, other times as you say we destroyed teams, it was a case of once we got the second goal we were able to play freely. if we didn't get the second we invariably lost or drew.

lost vs Cardiff, Wycombe, Luton, Cheltenham in the cup, Wigan, Crewe, Plymouth and Carlisle in the LDv

drew vs Cheltenham, Blackpool, Peterborough, Notts County, QPR, Port Vale and the costliest draw of all v QPR in the Play offs (and another home draw v Burton in the cup)

away we were awesome - we're not exactly there under DP but we do have that steely resolve not ot lose.