We are woeful

I said it after Hartlepool and Ill say it again, this is possibly one of the worst OAFC teams I have ever seen, and they show no bottle whatsoever. Whittaker, Coelbeck, Smalley, Parker, Furman, Holdsworth, absolute bottle jobs. Not interested in even wanting to win the game. I actually cant believe these people earn a wage for doing that at work.

I said it after Hartlepool and Ill say it again, this is possibly one of the worst OAFC teams I have ever seen, and they show no bottle whatsoever. Whittaker, Coelbeck, Smalley, Parker, Furman, Holdsworth, absolute bottle jobs. Not interested in even wanting to win the game. I actually cant believe these people earn a wage for doing that at work.

its funny how u said it after hartlepool and after today - two defeats.

if it is the worst oldham team ever and Whittaker, Coelbeck, Smalley, Parker, Furman, Holdsworth are bottle jobs as u put it. you would be saying it after every game regardless of the result. if they are bottle jobs they would be bottle jobs win lose or draw and the team would be worst oldham team ever regardless of win lose or draw. youve obviously bin today not happy and blowing one defeat out of all proportions. a defeat that wasnt at all helped by the conditions and injuries. and the fact that we lost to one of the highest budget teams and most fancied teams in the league by just a very good freekick. get over it and accept that it happens. wouldnt be suprised if you tuned round and sed they are the only two games u av bin to.

and to make any judgement on smalley after today is absolutly rediculous and screams of someone who knows very little about football. he has been out long term has played at most two games for the reserves and not full games at that and seems to have been rushed back seen as he wasnt ment to be back till after xmas give the lad a break

I've heard that training regimes as individuals in the gym doesn't help.......sort your :censored:ing acts out!!!!!

I have a theory that a significant number of "fans" actually prefer it when we lose. For a start, being Oldhamers they're never happier than when they're complaining about something. Added to that, they love to come on here afterwards and go on about how rubbish the team are because it gives them a rare feeling of superiority, a fake idea that they know best.

All they really prove is that, generally speaking, football fans are stupid, have a memory of no more than 7 days, genuinely think their team does have a divine right to win every week (despite their protestations to the contrary), and respond like spoilt four year olds when they don't.

Dress it up however you want - yes, Huddersfield won via a free kick, but they were better than us. We were poor today, as we were against Soton and Hartlepool, and Yeovil. Just not good enough.

Penney promised much, but his team has delivered little.

No doubt I'll be another labelled as a "Doom and Gloomer", but we don't seem to be at the races.

Keeper with no confidence or any kind of judgement of a ball in the air, no second balls picked up by midfield, posession given away too easily, no play through midfield.

It's hit and hope over the top half the time, and it's rubbish.

And I'm one of the optimistic ones :shock:

Dress it up however you want - yes, Huddersfield won via a free kick, but they were better than us. We were poor today, as we were against Soton and Hartlepool, and Yeovil. Just not good enough.

Penney promised much, but his team has delivered little.

No doubt I'll be another labelled as a "Doom and Gloomer", but we don't seem to be at the races.

Keeper with no confidence or any kind of judgement of a ball in the air, no second balls picked up by midfield, posession given away too easily, no play through midfield.

It's hit and hope over the top half the time, and it's rubbish.

And I'm one of the optimistic ones :shock:

You can be optimistic and still full of knee jerk reaction bull****. Where were you after the Brighton game last week? Yeovil we were ok but didn't finish some golden chances in the first half, Southampton we played ok but gifted them goals, Hartlepool we were awful, but did you really expect us to be winning every game? DP has a much smaller budget than Shez or RM had and yet we're still hovering around the playoffs. We lack a bit of quality, but we have Taylor and Purdie to come back, Taylor who is possibly our best player and Purdie who has come here with rave reviews from the Darlo fans. Every defeat you see pretty much the same posters on here spreading the cancer, but they're never to be seen after a win, unless they can have a go at Brill for something.

and who says ambition isn't being scaled back... :petesake:

I can accept being mid table because we are a team in transition but this statement worries me...

It is accepted the manager is on a small budget, however what is not acceptable is players not putting a full shift in and ducking out of physical challenges.

Midtable isn't woeful for a club our size.

Also it's quality, not effort, that our team lacks.

Too many years at mid-table in the third division, coming after almost a quarter-century at a higher level, is what threatens the very existence of the club.

The club, in thinking the same way seeks to cement our existence at this level with a stadium built for lower division purposes. And if it doesn't get built it may well be the end of the club.

I think a lot of us felt we were no better than lower to mid table at the start of the season

That was the thinking on here and, I suspect, among the lapsed and occasional fans. It was also quite clearly the thinking at the club. The result? People simply think to themselves, 'Why bother attending BP on a regular basis when the thinking is so small-time and mediocre?'

maybe they should:

1/be supervised when in the gym

2/have their mobile phones confiscated.

if they act like kids, treat em like kids,and stop their pocket money/wages.

Nail on head firmly in place on both points, a PTI from one of the forces would be quite good, preferably one who has a real chip on his shoulder with primadona football players doing nothing but rubbing their hands when the securicor van turns up at their front door at the end of each month with their wage slip.

and who says ambition isn't being scaled back... :petesake:

I can accept being mid table because we are a team in transition but this statement worries me...

I'd like to think that I'm quite ambitious in that I believe our club could be in a similar situation to Blackpool now and consistently maintain Championship status a few years down the line......but right now?

Attendances are often strongly linked to size of club (and rightly so imo) and we are 5th from bottom in League 1 for average attendances at present, no Championship club has a lower average than us and 4 (nearly 5) League 2 clubs have better averages than us. Obviously this doesn't directly link to performances on the pitch but it certainly makes a difference in terms of what we can afford budget wise and the options we have available to us.

We are punching above our weight this season for the size of club that we are right now imo and if we are in transition to be successful in future seasons as you say we are then it really could be going a hell of a lot worse (see Tranmere).

I'd like to think that I'm quite ambitious in that I believe our club could be in a similar situation to Blackpool now and consistently maintain Championship status a few years down the line......but right now?

Attendances are often strongly linked to size of club (and rightly so imo) and we are 5th from bottom in League 1 for average attendances at present, no Championship club has a lower average than us and 4 (nearly 5) League 2 clubs have better averages than us. Obviously this doesn't directly link to performances on the pitch but it certainly makes a difference in terms of what we can afford budget wise and the options we have available to us.

We are punching above our weight this season for the size of club that we are right now imo and if we are in transition to be successful in future seasons as you say we are then it really could be going a hell of a lot worse (see Tranmere).

People have been saying these things for years. Everything will somehow be better at some undefined point in the future. 'In transition' is a meaningless term when a club has nearly a complete new squad every two years or so.

When it still looked like the club was serious about promotion gates modestly rose. Now that the club seems set on a permanent lower division existence, gates fall. As the stature of the club shrinks, expectations are lowered and more fans drift away, thus reducing budgets and making promotion an ever receding dream.