All this negativity

I can't let this opportunity go by without pointing out, yet again, that this is an urban myth. In the old days before the roof was replaced yiu could here the Chaddy End crowd on Rochdale Road and Featherstall Road. When the new roof was fitted it was to exactly the same design, confirmed by Alan Hardy in an email, so all that's changed is the willingness of the crowd to raise the roof!

Sorry but we have to disagree on this one Diego, and all I can say is sit in The Main Stand and you will hear it for yourself.

Yes if everyone were singing in The Chaddy it would be heard loud and clear no doubt. But honestly, 300 singing at the top of their voices in the RRE is louder than 300 siging at the top of their voices in The Chaddy. It's just a fact I'm afraid...... I have no hidden agenda on this one I sit in The Main Stand (although I was in The Chaddy for the Leeds game) and have no axe to grind with this.

Sorry but we have to disagree on this one Diego, and all I can say is sit in The Main Stand and you will hear it for yourself.

Yes if everyone were singing in The Chaddy it would be heard loud and clear no doubt. But honestly, 300 singing at the top of their voices in the RRE is louder than 300 siging at the top of their voices in The Chaddy. It's just a fact I'm afraid...... I have no hidden agenda on this one I sit in The Main Stand (although I was in The Chaddy for the Leeds game) and have no axe to grind with this.

Fans arriving at kick-off time tell me they can here the Chaddy (when the RRE is not in use) from up Sheepfoot Lane. Also the (fit) players are not in the Main Stand and, with only about twenty fans in the Chaddy asking for a wave from the manager, they get their request granted. So if enough people get behind the team the players will certainly hear it and then it's up to them to respond. They always say they look forward to the bigger games because of the bigger crowd and better atmosphere. In more recent years, even bigger crowds have rarely produced a better atmosphere.

I respect what you're saying but It seems like it's the Main Stand with the acoustic black spot, which doesn't really matter.

Fans arriving at kick-off time tell me they can here the Chaddy (when the RRE is not in use) from up Sheepfoot Lane. Also the (fit) players are not in the Main Stand and, with only about twenty fans in the Chaddy asking for a wave from the manager, they get their request granted. So if enough people get behind the team the players will certainly hear it and then it's up to them to respond. They always say they look forward to the bigger games because of the bigger crowd and better atmosphere. In more recent years, even bigger crowds have rarely produced a better atmosphere.

I respect what you're saying but It seems like it's the Main Stand with the acoustic black spot, which doesn't really matter.

Again I might be labouring the point, but I agree with you that you can hear The Chaddy, I'm not arguing against that, just that the RRE pound for pound is louder.

But I'm being a tad pedantic here....... your of course right that the principle of if everyone in The Chaddy was singing it would create a great atmosphere, I'm just saying if only a few hundered are prepared to get sore throats, their efforts maybe rewarded better at the opposite end of the stadium.

It was the same from where I used to sit on the half way line in the lookers. RRE is louder.

The last fifteen years have proved that unless something drastic changes on the money side, nothing will change. The reason for such low crowds is that an increasing number of people are realising this. The death of hope.

true corp. wasnt the reason we got rid of andy ritchie that he was a no ambition, happy with mid-table finishes manager. now sometime later we seem exactly that. mid-table material.

also the fact that we are out of all 3 cups by november 7th. and with no chance of the top 6 realistically our season is now over.

true corp. wasnt the reason we got rid of andy ritchie that he was a no ambition, happy with mid-table finishes manager. now sometime later we seem exactly that. mid-table material.

also the fact that we are out of all 3 cups by november 7th. and with no chance of the top 6 realistically our season is now over.

It seems curious, too, that most of those who like to constantly emphasise how relaint the club is on the generosity of TTA, seem unconcerned about the fact that the money-spinning potential of good runs in those cups has been snuffed out at the first hurdle, while the willingness to accept a mid-table finish (it's a 'season of transition'...again...) indicates a lack of concern that there'll be no money forthcoming from the play-offs either.

Still, it all aids the expectation-lowering process that will see 3500 of us 'thankful that we've still got a club to support,' as we take our seats in the neat little ground on the Manchester border.

The bus marked Project Lickle Oldham ('a family club') trundles ever closer to the point of no return.

But maybe if the town backed the team the above would not have to happen?

The town does back the team when it does something worth taking note of. That's why our gates were more than three times what they are now when we won the old Second Division, for instance. And averaged 10000 last time we won this one. As I say in another thread, Latics are far from unique in having large numbers of stayaways when all that's on offer is failure after failure.

The backing of the latent fans has to be earned.

Can we name any clubs that have experienced a sudden drastic upsurge in support when nothing of note is going on on the pitch?

Can we name any clubs that have experienced a sudden drastic upsurge in support following a drastic improvement on the pitch not brought about by being able to afford better players?

The town does back the team when it does something worth taking note of. That's why our gates were more than three times what they are now when we won the old Second Division, for instance. And averaged 10000 last time we won this one. As I say in another thread, Latics are far from unique in having large numbers of stayaways when all that's on offer is failure after failure.

The backing of the latent fans has to be earned.

Too many of those who backed the team when it was doing well are now content to admire their Premier League shirts and watch videos of the glory years.

Can we name any clubs that have experienced a sudden drastic upsurge in support following a drastic improvement on the pitch not brought about by being able to afford better players?

Answering a question with a question isn't an answer.

I suppose you might be getting at the fact that we improved without spending big under Royle? But it was another era that's probably gone forever. And we did pay transfer fees back then, even if not vast ones. We didn't have a constant turnover of mediocre journeymen and loanees.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Too many of those who backed the team when it was doing well are now content to admire their Premier League shirts and watch videos of the glory years.

Yes, yes, I know. As I've been trying to explain, it's because they don't see any point in shelling out a not inconsiderable amount of money when the club seems to be going nowhere, the entertainment on offer minimal, the facilities dire and the ground deteriorating. And, whether technically accurate or not, some will doubtless see Failsworth as the club moving out of Oldham.

Answering a question with a question isn't an answer.

I suppose you might be getting at the fact that we improved without spending big under Royle? But it was another era that's probably gone forever. And we did pay transfer fees back then, even if not vast ones. We didn't have a constant turnover of mediocre journeymen and loanees.

That's what Rick Holden and Big Joe said and therein lies the problem. We'll never see the likes of that era again.

Meanwhile we have a Club to support in the hope that a stadium producing enough non-football finance will keep it going in the future.

That's what Rick Holden and Big Joe said and therein lies the problem. We'll never see the likes of that era again.

Meanwhile we have a Club to support in the hope that a stadium producing enough non-football finance will keep it going in the future.

Yes, as I said to real-at permanent lower division level. Which will only lose us fans, rather than the opposite.

Without the hope or dreams of one day hitting the big time what is the point ? Even the smallest team in the land have hopes and dreams of working there way up the football league...

If its JUST about survival and not progression we will slowly die... You have to aim to move forward...

Edited by oafc0000