All this negativity

Have I missed something, has the world ended?

The amount of negativity on here is ridiculous. Admittedly, I'm not exactly jumping for joy over the last couple of performances, but at the same time, I'm not booking myself an appointment at Dignitas.

OK, we were not great on Saturday, but with the striking options we had, that was always going to happen (and I accept that many believe that this is DP's fault for not signing any more strikers but considering that it was the middle of last week before we knew that Pav and Blackman were not going to be available, I'm not convinced I wanted him rushing to sign someone who wasn't going to add much to the team).

Since the Bristol Rovers game, ten matches ago, we have lost twice in the league, and once in the cup against three teams with budgets we could only dream of. In that same period, we have Carlisle, Brighton, MK Dons and Southend and picked up draws against Charlton and Yeovil.

I would say that the only really below par result there is the draw against Yeovil.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that we should be losing against Udders, Leeds and Southampton but doing so doesn't suddenly make us sh*te.

I would have expected us to pick up about eleven points from those eight league games. We actually picked up 14.

Get behind the lads. If we get Taylor and Smalley performing on the wings and Blackman gets back to the form he showed before his injury, this could still turn out to be a decent side we've got here and if we can get on a bit of a roll, we could actually be bloody good when Pav comes back.

Anyway, no doubt I'll get a load of abuse now for seeing a positive side.

Edited by Latics & England

Thanks for that L & E, it was like a breath of fresh air on this fine frosty morning.

Samuel Johnson said “When any fit of gloominess, or perversion of mind, lays hold upon you, make it a rule not to publish it by complaints“.

Someone else said:

In trying to get our own way, we should remember that kisses are sweeter than whine.

Instead of complaining that the rosebush is full of thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.

Bring on the Gills! :bluearmy:

Have I missed something, has the world ended?

The amount of negativity on here is ridiculous. Admittedly, I'm not exactly jumping for joy over the last couple of performances, but at the same time, I'm not booking myself an appointment at Dignitas.

OK, we were not great on Saturday, but with the striking options we had, that was always going to happen (and I accept that many believe that this is DP's fault for not signing any more strikers but considering that it was the middle of last week before we knew that Pav and Blackman were not going to be available, I'm not convinced I wanted him rushing to sign someone who wasn't going to add much to the team).

Since the Bristol Rovers game, ten matches ago, we have lost twice in the league, and once in the cup against three teams with budgets we could only dream of. In that same period, we have Carlisle, Brighton, MK Dons and Southend and picked up draws against Charlton and Yeovil.

I would say that the only really below par result there is the draw against Yeovil.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that we should be losing against Udders, Leeds and Southampton but doing so doesn't suddenly make us sh*te.

I would have expected us to pick up about eleven points from those eight league games. We actually picked up 14.

Get behind the lads. If we get Taylor and Smalley performing on the wings and Blackman gets back to the form he showed before his injury, this could still turn out to be a decent side we've got here and if we can get on a bit of a roll, we could actually be bloody good when Pav comes back.

Anyway, no doubt I'll get a load of abuse now for seeing a positive side.

Stop being so negative, you should be jumping for joy.

"The duty of criticism is neither to depreciate nor dignify by partial representations, but to hold out the light of reason, whatever it may discover; and to promulgate the determinations of truth, whatever she shall dictate."

Johnson: Rambler #93 (February 5, 1751)

I think it's all about expectations, there were many on here at the start of the season talking about us in terms of promotion/playoff material, which for me we never were with the type of budget we have available. So now we are looking like the mid-table side we clearly are, many are very disappointed.

I'm not a happy clapper, nor a doom and gloom merchant, I think I sit somewhere in the middle of that. The one thing I would say though is that the thing that most frustrates me these days is the lack of entertainment, I find going to the games a total bore with no excitement. We had some very bad years even under the god that is Joe Royle, but more often than not I came away from BP at least feeling like I'd had a good day out and seen some decent football even if it was only in patches. Like I say, these days the product on the pitch is woeful, and the atmosphere totally non-existant.

I guess that we just have to keep the faith and hope that at some point the worm turns...... and before we see another 30% or so disappear from the gate.

I think it's all about expectations, there were many on here at the start of the season talking about us in terms of promotion/playoff material, which for me we never were with the type of budget we have available. So now we are looking like the mid-table side we clearly are, many are very disappointed.

I'm not a happy clapper, nor a doom and gloom merchant, I think I sit somewhere in the middle of that. The one thing I would say though is that the thing that most frustrates me these days is the lack of entertainment, I find going to the games a total bore with no excitement. We had some very bad years even under the god that is Joe Royle, but more often than not I came away from BP at least feeling like I'd had a good day out and seen some decent football even if it was only in patches. Like I say, these days the product on the pitch is woeful, and the atmosphere totally non-existant.

I guess that we just have to keep the faith and hope that at some point the worm turns...... and before we see another 30% or so disappear from the gate.

Good post Ghost, and pretty much where I am up to this season. Top-half will be a bonus but unless we sign cover for Pav we may well on occasion flirt with the bottom four. I thought we'd be pretty average when the squad was assembled over the summer, I've seen nothing to change that opinion really.

I think most of the dissapointment comes from the fact that we will have no cup run. I think most didn't expect us to rip up trees this season in the league but if we had a cup run and the possibility of playing a prem or big championship side meaning the possibility of a full house at BP or a big day out it would of atleast given us something to get excited about this season. I won't be jumping of a cliff either and will be attending all the home games and a few aways I will no doubt see this team play some good football at times and enjoy myself along the way. It would just be nice to have abit more to look forward too than the possibility of finishing top 10 which would be a good season for us.

Losing football games is a fact that nearly all football fans get used to and accept. And I have come away from a number of defeats in generally good spirits feeling that I have seen a good game of football in which my team participated equally.

I accept that with the budget, and therefore the squad we have, that we are not going to dominate the league and win most of our games.

We have to remember that we have lost 2 games in a row against much better funded teams, and the home defeat before that against the Saints would be another well funded team.

However, whilst I came out of the Southampton game frustrated at the result, for long periods of the second half we played good, exciting football and was it not for (another) defensive lapse might have got a point.

Huddersfield / Leeds games were different. I felt that as well as the result, the performances were very poor and without many (if any) redeeming features. I never felt in either game that we were going to score a goal - yes a couple of opportunites arrived during the game (not taken), but they were out of the blue and gone as soon as they came (rather than a result of sustained pressure and good football).

We can look back at the league table, and points from the last few games and make ourselves feel a bit better. But after two crap performances on the bounce I find it hard to feel optimistic and therefore I am not surprised that this board is full of people being down. I am down too.

However, give me a few days, and I'll start to look at the fixtures/table/players coming back from injury etc and start to get positive again. Though I am on holiday for a couple of weeks so my next game back is....Leeds home. Time to get down again?

I think most of the dissapointment comes from the fact that we will have no cup run. I think most didn't expect us to rip up trees this season in the league but if we had a cup run and the possibility of playing a prem or big championship side meaning the possibility of a full house at BP or a big day out it would of atleast given us something to get excited about this season. I won't be jumping of a cliff either and will be attending all the home games and a few aways I will no doubt see this team play some good football at times and enjoy myself along the way. It would just be nice to have abit more to look forward too than the possibility of finishing top 10 which would be a good season for us.

I agree.

Excitement and big games are highlights of the season, and we have very few in the pipeline (Leeds H&A, Southampton A, Hudds A).

Everton and Wolves over the last few years have been great days out. Even taking the JPT trophy seriously and a chance at Wembley.

Another so-so season awaits.

The last fifteen years have proved that unless something drastic changes on the money side, nothing will change. The reason for such low crowds is that an increasing number of people are realising this. The death of hope.

Where there's life there's hope!

I've posted this on another thread but just so it gets read and in case anyone has any ideas:

"Maybe I'm being a bit of a dreamer, but I wonder if there isn't something that us fans can do (after all we will be the ones that will still care long after TTA, Dave Penney or the current crop of players etc) to buck this downwards spiral? We are fairly powerless in terms of pumping money in, our having the skills to change things on the pitch but I wonder what part can we play in terms of halting the slide and turning it around?"

"In other words do we accept what has happened and is happening, or do we give up? I know what I think we should do."

I've posted this on another thread but just so it gets read and in case anyone has any ideas:

"Maybe I'm being a bit of a dreamer, but I wonder if there isn't something that us fans can do (after all we will be the ones that will still care long after TTA, Dave Penney or the current crop of players etc) to buck this downwards spiral? We are fairly powerless in terms of pumping money in, our having the skills to change things on the pitch but I wonder what part can we play in terms of halting the slide and turning it around?"

"In other words do we accept what has happened and is happening, or do we give up? I know what I think we should do."

I have advocated getting behind the team at home, as we do at away games, until I'm blue in the face, but nearly everyone is waiting for the team to play well before they react positively. Chicken and egg situation.

I believe chanting, singing and creating a good atmosphere can lift the team when things are not going well and confidence is low, but it seems not many agree with me. :disappointed:

I have advocated getting behind the team at home, as we do at away games, until I'm blue in the face, but nearly everyone is waiting for the team to play well before they react positively. Chicken and egg situation.

I believe chanting, singing and creating a good atmosphere can lift the team when things are not going well and confidence is low, but it seems not many agree with me. :disappointed:

Diego, i agree with your suggestions about creating an atmosphere but the club has split its home support by promoting the RRE as an optional home end but this maybe could be solved if the club used the lookers paddock as access to each end ie - the fans could sit behind which ever end were attacking to create said atmosphere ?

Diego, i agree with your suggestions about creating an atmosphere but the club has split its home support by promoting the RRE as an optional home end but this maybe could be solved if the club used the lookers paddock as access to each end ie - the fans could sit behind which ever end were attacking to create said atmosphere ?

For the last two home games the home support has been in the Chaddy but, apart from the drum, the atmosphere has not changed. Hwever, if we'd scored.....who knows?

Those were the days when you waited for the toss, to see which way we were playing, before running round the back of the Broadway Stand to get behind the goal being attacked. Health & Safety has put a stop to that mallarkey! :disappointed:

We can a bit we can put forward suggestions to the club of how to attract more fans i.e. marketing and we have on a few other threads I think some of these should be put forward more directly to the club if they say no you can say atleast we tried nothing ventured nothing gained.

You're right, Diego, It can and does lift the team. But there's just not enough people willing to get involved and they're not sat in the same place.

It's not a problem particular to us - it happens at all league grounds, and especially amongst home fans. I've been to many other grounds as a nuetral, and it is exactly the same. The away fans make more noise, and the home fans only really get behind their team when the play rouses the passions.

It's the way it's always been, and is the way it WILL always be. So as much as I admire your sentiment, I'm afraid you're going to have get used to going blue in the face.

You're right, Diego, It can and does lift the team. But there's just not enough people willing to get involved and they're not sat in the same place.

It's not a problem particular to us - it happens at all league grounds, and especially amongst home fans. I've been to many other grounds as a nuetral, and it is exactly the same. The away fans make more noise, and the home fans only really get behind their team when the play rouses the passions.

It's the way it's always been, and is the way it WILL always be. So as much as I admire your sentiment, I'm afraid you're going to have get used to going blue in the face.

I agree, generally speaking away fans make more noise than home fans. I think it's a combination of alcohol fuelled journeys and the sense of comeraderie that seems to exist more away than it does at home.

But there are exceptions to the rule, Pompey for instance always seem like a group of supporters who get behind their team come what may, and maybe we can aim to be more like this. I'm sure the (lack of) aatmosphere at BP these days is a reason that people aren't getting full value for the experience.

Hell I can remember jumping around in The Chaddy singing "John Kettley is the Weatherman" before a ball had even been kicked years ago :grin: ...... that's the type of thing we need to get back to..... it's the only thing us fans can do to effect change at the club really.

It matches my eyes! :grin:

we all know were going to be developing a ground in failsworth..so maybe its time the club actually listened to its fans rather than cow towing to other agencies and just make the home end the rre and the away end the chaddy....

you can like diego has said scream shout chant clap whatever you do to create atmospher until you are indeed blue in the face,but because of the roof design you just dont hear it,it might carry slightly onto pitch level but nowhere near as much as it carries from the rochdale road end.

if were here at bp for another 2 seasons i think the club needs to implement this change....

it might not make us play any better,but it will definatley give us the edge over bigger support from away teams.

it has to be worth a shout doesnt it ???

Maybe we could be the club that bucks the trend.

IMO all it involves is the club designating a singing section in the ground. Then people can go in that section to sing with all the other like minded people and more importantly stand for most of the match. Yes I know your not supposed to stand but lots of people do, will and want to despite of the rules and I would wager that most of those also sing and get behind the team.

I am probably well wide of the mark, but I would personally go in a singing section knowing I was amongst likeminded individuals. Would anyone else?

you can like diego has said scream shout chant clap whatever you do to create atmospher until you are indeed blue in the face,but because of the roof design you just dont hear it,it might carry slightly onto pitch level but nowhere near as much as it carries from the rochdale road end.

if were here at bp for another 2 seasons i think the club needs to implement this change....

it might not make us play any better,but it will definatley give us the edge over bigger support from away teams.

it has to be worth a shout doesnt it ???

I can't let this opportunity go by without pointing out, yet again, that this is an urban myth. In the old days before the roof was replaced yiu could here the Chaddy End crowd on Rochdale Road and Featherstall Road. When the new roof was fitted it was to exactly the same design, confirmed by Alan Hardy in an email, so all that's changed is the willingness of the crowd to raise the roof!

Maybe we could be the club that bucks the trend.

IMO all it involves is the club designating a singing section in the ground. Then people can go in that section to sing with all the other like minded people and more importantly stand for most of the match. Yes I know your not supposed to stand but lots of people do, will and want to despite of the rules and I would wager that most of those also sing and get behind the team.

I am probably well wide of the mark, but I would personally go in a singing section knowing I was amongst likeminded individuals. Would anyone else?

I would.