Now don't get me wrong, I love my club...

The total number of goals in our league games is 29 (13 scored, 16 against). By far the lowest in our league.

Our attendances are amongst the lowest in our league and have been dropping in recent years.

The atmosphere at games has been described by our fans and others as awful (see Hudds cartoon match report) and we are nowhere near filling our ground.

We are at a standstill in terms of progressing as a club until things are sorted with the new stadium, at least a couple of years away.

Although not being awash with cash, we are not seriously financially unstable.

We are not in urgent danger of relegation (yet) but are nowhere near challenging the top six.

The squad is small but full of hard-working, honest and seemingly decent characters...but how many of our players would anyone call inspiring?

This is how our last 3 games have been decided:

Hudds - a speculative free kick badly dealt with by our 'keeper. But barring that set-piece not many incidents in the game.

Leeds - an excellent but hopeful long range shot and a goal on the break with the team committed up the pitch. Not much happened apart from that.

Today - listened to most of it, lost due to by the sounds it a harsh penalty. Again barring that not much happened.

In all three games, we've created next to nothing.

I'm happy with our defence being boring and, looking at the games above, they've not been making many mistakes and have been mostly unlucky. But if we continue to be so poor going forward the defence will be put under so much pressure in the future that they are sure to make more mistakes.

The only quick fix I can think of is by getting in an exciting striker who can jolt this place back into life with consistency, pace and finishing. Unfortunately I think we would struggle to afford this kind of player. However, I really think we should push the boat out if we can find this striker as imo it is the difference between us being described as hard to beat and well...boring.

Still, can't wait for the Exeter game! :scarf001:

The total number of goals in our league games is 29 (13 scored, 16 against). By far the lowest in our league.

Our attendances are amongst the lowest in our league and have been dropping in recent years.

The atmosphere at games has been described by our fans and others as awful (see Hudds cartoon match report) and we are nowhere near filling our ground.

We are at a standstill in terms of progressing as a club until things are sorted with the new stadium, at least a couple of years away.

We are not in urgent danger of relegation (yet) but are nowhere near challenging the top six.

The squad is small but full of hard-working, honest and seemingly decent characters...but how many of our players would anyone call inspiring?

Hudds - a speculative free kick badly dealt with by our 'keeper. But barring that set-piece not many incidents in the game.

Leeds - an excellent but hopeful long range shot and a goal on the break with the team committed up the pitch. Not much happened apart from that.

Today - listened to most of it, lost due to by the sounds it a harsh penalty. Again barring that not much happened.

I'm happy with our defence being boring and, looking at the games above, they've not been making many mistakes and have been mostly unlucky. But if we continue to be so poor going forward the defence will be put under so much pressure in the future that they are sure to make more mistakes.

The only quick fix I can think of is by getting in an exciting striker who can jolt this place back into life with consistency, pace and finishing. Unfortunately I think we would struggle to afford this kind of player. However, I really think we should push the boat out if we can find this striker as imo it is the difference between us being described as hard to beat and well...boring.

Wooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance:

The only quick fix I can think of is by getting in an exciting striker who can jolt this place back into life with consistency, pace and finishing. Unfortunately I think we would struggle to afford this kind of player.

i would prefer exciting, high scoring games with shaky defense AND attack but IIRC, the highest we have won by this season is 2-0 vs carlisle (correct me if im wrong) i didnt go today or listen and i could have easily predicted the match report. we need one player, as you say, to liven things up becuase we will lose fans playing like this. it is alright keeping a tight defence but only if you have the ability to score goals. it seems we have built a team around abbott and now he is injured, we are a mediocre side with no outstanding players you can rely on to be a threat. i will carry on supporting the club but others wont so dp needs to sort this out in january if we want to get anything worthwhile out of the season, including consolidation for next year.

penney needs to start looking at huddersfield games on dvd to see what a half decent team can acheive playing with confidence & a sense of optimism,not the total crap he expects the fans who pay bloody good money to watch week in week out

penney needs to start looking at huddersfield games on dvd to see what a half decent team can acheive playing with confidence & a sense of optimism,not the total crap he expects the fans who pay bloody good money to watch week in week out

...and what :censored:loads of money can do for you.

We are dull, dour, boring and a million other ways of putting it. But, what the hell else can you do when you have little money and half of your team has seen more doctors than fans this season.

:ranting::ranting:

We are dull, dour, boring and a million other ways of putting it. But, what the hell else can you do when you have little money and half of your team has seen more doctors than fans this season.

well the only person you can blame for the majority of the early injuries is the piss poor pyhsio these past 2 seasons half the team have been injured before the season has started due to his (lets get in early & get fitter than the rest of the teams )policy.

well the only person you can blame for the majority of the early injuries is the piss poor pyhsio these past 2 seasons half the team have been injured before the season has started due to his (lets get in early & get fitter than the rest of the teams )policy.

Not sure about the piss poor physio. But, we have had a major injury problem for quite a few years now (Since before the current physio - this season, Sheridan's second season and Dowies season stand out). Is this a training ground issue? Not sure. But it does appear to be worse than average.

In my view, we had our attacking/entertaining manager on small wages. He was deemed not good enough and ditched last year largely due to fan pressure.

Not sure about the piss poor physio. But, we have had a major injury problem for quite a few years now (Since before the current physio - this season, Sheridan's second season and Dowies season stand out). Is this a training ground issue? Not sure. But it does appear to be worse than average.

In my view, we had our attacking/entertaining manager on small wages. He was deemed not good enough and ditched last year largely due to fan pressure.

Penney needs to bring in an attacking coach - he has it right defensively it seems - give Philliskirk more say I say :wink:

We weren't exactly injury ravaged last sseason.

How do you know this are you in the bushes with your camo gear on taking video of the training from the moment the players arrive to the moment they leave?

Lets run through the current injury list shall we

Purdie- Osteitis pubis- this is a very rare bone injury, especially in men- something similar happens in women- which isn't caused by overuse or underuse it is one of those things which happens.

Jacobsen- see Purdie

Taylor- see Purdie

Worthington- ?Fracture fibula- this was done in a game where he twisted his ankle wrong nothing the physio could do about that

Abbott- Hernia- This is the sort of thing which happens a lot in professional footballers, most of us will carry on with one unless it was really serious, it isn't an overuse injury and can't be prevented by warming up (as the muscles used aren't under any form of control from the brain they just work)

Smalley- Sciatica- Again another one of those things which happens- he could have got this picking something up at home, he could have got it from a kick to the back, not the physios fault

Alessandra- I'm not sure what he is out with but I'm fairly certain it happened whilst out on loan- so outside the physios control and I know he has a complication from my :sauce: which is out of the physios control.

Anyone else I've missed?

As you can see none of them are the physios fault- I'm not saying the warm-up doesn't need looking at but I think that's a common problem for a lot of football teams.

This has been to first ever season i have actually made money watching Latics. Every week i place two bets that it will either be 0-0 or lose 1-0. Its netted me a pretty nice profit thus far. For once Latics are predictable! Im starting to wonder if we will ever score again.

What would have helped greatly would have been to go all out to ensure that the team didn't squander in the most pathetic fashion it's golden chance (the last one, actually) to get out of this division. This is what happened in 2007, and we're still feeling the effects. Learning from mistakes and pushing on, and not following that season up with a drifting, up- and- down season and then another false promotion charge would also have helped. The current drifting mediocrity is simply the result of the club reaping what it has sown. All sense of direction has been lost, and the fans are fed false hopes and fairy tales.

Recognition of this within the club is precisely why a permanent lower divison future is being planned, with a stadium of a size to reflect that kind of ambition.

A lot of our lapsed fans will simply look at our results and see the 'goals for' column and won't be tempted back till results and performances improve. The entertainment value at BP at present is not value for money and it's only the diehards in attendance these days

Until we start to entertain i can only see this status quo continuing.

I've been going to latics for over 38 years now and it's only blind loyalty keeping me going at present.

Something needs to change quickly!

A lot of our lapsed fans will simply look at our results and see the 'goals for' column and won't be tempted back till results and performances improve. The entertainment value at BP at present is not value for money and it's only the diehards in attendance these days

Until we start to entertain i can only see this status quo continuing.

I've been going to latics for over 38 years now and it's only blind loyalty keeping me going at present.

Something needs to change quickly!

The promise of the new stadium and the (albeit welcome) appointment of a marketing man is what will be sold to us as change.

Talking of change, what's really changed since the days of Brierley and Stott wringing their hands and telling us how it's all basically hopeless? At least they didn't peddle false promises, berate the fans and rely on spin.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

The promise of the new stadium and the (albeit welcome) appointment of a marketing man is what will be sold to us as change.

Talking of change, what's really changed since the days of Brierley and Stott wringing their hands and telling us how it's all basically hopeless? At least they didn't peddle false promises, berate the fans and rely on spin.

Barry owens' plea to the fans to explain why they don't attend anymore has really come back to bite him on the backside. Even he and TTA can't be puzzled as to why crowds are small at present.

£20 is quite a luxury to a lot of people in oldham just now, and when you leave shaking your head at another insipid performance in the present decrepit surroundings...you don't have to be a rocket scientist to work it out.