Haven't scored in the first half for 10 games?!

All things being equal, and one should be given time to prove one's worth - you couldn't tip your hat. Stats in football mean rock-all - you know they're not the same as baseball or cricket - so perhaps we can give the quite frankly irrelevant stats a rest for a bit?

:laught16: How ironic this is Blue Pizza (or possibly his other pseudonymms) going on about stats. God how I would love to be your bookie- did you put a four figure sum on us winning last night or was that Billy Big :cenosored: talk again? First you say stats say one thing then when that's proven wrong you say a different stat shows something else entirely. TBH prior to the Walsall game we hadn't scored in the first half of 9 games yet you were going on how we were going to win because we had do so previously. Now we haven't scored in the first half of 10 games you say this is worrying- do you know what the difference between 1 in 9 and 1 in 10 is its 1.1 (reocurring) % not exactly a significant difference. I can probably find a stat that shows 75% of your predictions fail miserably. Stats mean nothing and its getting rather boring for some of the brighter posters to have to keep pointing this out to you.

How do stats mean nothing? :unsure: Sure, they're not everything, but to say they mean nothing is a silly generalistation in my opinion.

Do goal ratios mean nothing? Do clean sheet records mean nothing? Booking tallies? Stats will often reflect relevant happenings, even in football.

The "stats" as they are being thrown about on here are at best being used to turn a few screws. They mean :censored: all. Especially when carefully omitted records aren't present. See other threads.

As I pointed out in the chat room the other day, 100% of heroin users started on milk. Andyb100 claimed it was 99.9%, as some babies are lactose intolerant, but he never explained how they found this out :tongue:

Actually Andyb100 is perhaps the more accurate (but for the wrong reason) as extremely premature babies aren't milk fed, so those that become Heroin addicts didn't start on milk. The lactose intolerant however do start on milk especially as lactose intolerance doesn't present from birth.

More of a worrying trend than a stat

The thing is to tell the difference between a stat and a trend. “Always beating Chelsea,” is a FACT, but if we played them tomorrow I wouldn’t put my last fiver on us. In the age when clubs change their whole squad every other year these things only matter to the fans. Pointing out that we don’t do so well when the other side score first isn’t all that interesting, for starters it means that the other side have scored and we, erm, haven’t, which isn’t a great starting place for scoring points. It might be worth looking at if we only score in the second half though, as it might indicate what we all know, that we are starting too many games as if we are aiming for a draw and thereby inviting pressure until it’s too late.

The thing is to tell the difference between a stat and a trend. “Always beating Chelsea,” is a FACT, but if we played them tomorrow I wouldn’t put my last fiver on us. In the age when clubs change their whole squad every other year these things only matter to the fans. Pointing out that we don’t do so well when the other side score first isn’t all that interesting, for starters it means that the other side have scored and we, erm, haven’t, which isn’t a great starting place for scoring points. It might be worth looking at if we only score in the second half though, as it might indicate what we all know, that we are starting too many games as if we are aiming for a draw and thereby inviting pressure until it’s too late.

FACT: We haven't scored a goal in the first half for 10 games!!!

Is that a club record? Seriously bad stat. Add to that no team has scored less than us in this league and its very worrying.

Congratulations sir! I now know what bets im going to start putting on:)

Prepare to see us score numerous goals in the first half from tuesday onwards :wink:

• 1 month later...