Dean Furman

What are peoples views of him now?

I just think atm if he is thinking of an international spot he can think again , isnt living up to the hype. Although he was much better with Worthy , I dont think playing with Whits is helping his game

thoughts?

I just think atm if he is thinking of an international spot he can think again , isnt living up to the hype. Although he was much better with Worthy , I dont think playing with Whits is helping his game

thoughts?

Doesn't pass the ball forward, unwilling to run with the ball - takes the easy option every time. Not good enough Dean - another 4th Division signing. Allott was average but he put a shift in and scored the odd goal.

What has Stephens got to do to get a go?

As for Slaphead, I was gutted when we signed him - I knew he simply wasn't good enough, and yet another cheap option. The first choice midfielders :censored: apart will see the club relegated simple as. Every team needs goals from Midfield, we've scored one goal from centre-mid in 22 games.

Is it the players or Talbot's (sorry Penney's) :censored:e tactics?

Yes. He shouldn't be defending.

He came with the tag of an attacking midfielder - when will he be played as one?

Mentioned it last night, we had a chance of a break and the forwards were breaking their necks trying toi get forward, Furman simply passed backwards to Whitaker who was camped on the edge of his own box - at that point I felt like weeping and throwing my £350 season ticket onto the pitch... :disappointed:

thoughts?

Big disappointment.

He is supposed to be a ball playing midfielder, yet he (and Casper) never looks for the ball. Never demands it from his team mates or gives them the option, and often wastes it when he has it. If you compare him to Kilkenny for Leeds last night, he always wanted the ball. I know Kilkenny plays with better players, but that kind of behavior can spread through the team...your midfielders start moving into space and wanting the ball and magically, players in other positions start doing it aswell.

Big disappointment.

He is supposed to be a ball playing midfielder, yet he (and Casper) never looks for the ball. Never demands it from his team mates or gives them the option, and often wastes it when he has it. If you compare him to Kilkenny for Leeds last night, he always wanted the ball. I know Kilkenny plays with better players, but that kind of behavior can spread through the team...your midfielders start moving into space and wanting the ball and magically, players in other positions start doing it aswell.

Leeds movement off the ball last night was a masterclass, ours was simply woeful and such an indicator of why we fail...

thoughts?

Few passes come off that he tries and to me very very lightweight in the middle of the field!

He's still young and was severely over hyped. He is going to get better and I'm confident he'll prove to be a good player for us but for now our midfield is weak, lacking creativity, strength and fight.

That for me is the key with the Furman. He was massively over hyped as our midfield saviour that would be sold on again in January as he would be too good for us and scouts would be flocking from all corners to watch him play.

As is, for me; he’s been a disappointment all told. He is a “neither” midfielder; in that he is neither a yard-dog battler nor is he a creative attacking ball player. When you add that to playing with Danny Whitts; who I will get onto in a minute (!) it’s a central midfield disaster.

Furman needs to develop his game & quickly really. He needs to grasp that the whole drive of a team; the tempo and the ‘umph’ if you will comes from central midfield. He needs to look no further than Neil Kilkenney’s performance on Tues for that. Furman should be coming to show for the ball & take it off the back four; then drive onwards & look for passes that take us forwards. He has shown flashes so far that mean he could do this job; but they have been few & far between.

Our midfield; particularly the central 2, are the weak link in our team (now that the GK has been solved; albeit short term with Daryl). We have 2 player when its DW & DF that offer nothing as a defensive screen nor do they offer a creative spark. We have been constantly out fought & out passed in the centre this season as these 2 are simply not doing the business.

Now, for me its Whitts that is the problem – when Furman was playing with Worthy; he was the one who pushed on a tad with Worthy being the bulldog sitting deep & moping up / giving it simple. At this time; early season, Furman looked a promising player playing higher up the park. Since Whitts has come in, Furman is playing deeper but that isn’t his game; and Whitts offers nothing as creative force ergo we have 2 midfielders offering zip-all to the team.

Whitts doesn’t go in for challenges with any conviction, he rarely even bothers to jump for headers let alone actually try & win them and his passing has been too crab like & lacking in any spark. He is the problem for me in this area – drop Whitts and we’ll start to see a better Furman in my opinion.

Options for a replacement? Well, I think until Worthy is back to fitness then we need to look to freshen up – either give Dale Stephens a shot finally or try Andy Holdsworth in there; he’s looked a steady player when he played & Vs Colchester after they went to 10-men; he was basicially playing in midfield & did well.

Until the central midfield is sorted out; we’ll continue to struggle as it’s the fulcrum of the team & in its present guise its failing badly!!

I think Sly has got it right. Furman looked excellent when I first saw him at Halifax (yes, I made it over there yet now can't even be arsed with league games at home) and promising against Stockport, both alongside Worthy. Ever since he has looked like a good player playing badly and lacking in confidence, a little like Taylor when he plays. Can't imagine why.

I agree that the real problem is Whittaker. I now even have bets with the guys sat around me as to whether Whitts will actually make a tackle in the game!! playing alongside him means that Daen has to spend his time ball chasing all the time and covering for lazy and back-out merchant at the side of him. if this isn't sorted out, we won't see the best of Dean in breaking forward which is what he was signed for. Interesting point is that Whittaker never gets injured, easy really when you never leave the ground or put a foot in.

Still going to Norwich though as ever the optimist!!

I think people were expecting a Wellens type of player who would run the whole midfield, which isn’t Furman at all. I think he’s one of those players who would shine if the players around him were on form, but doesn’t bring much to the table when the team is playing poorly, if the movement around him isn’t good his job of keeping the ball rolling doesn’t achieve a lot.

I think people were expecting a Wellens type of player who would run the whole midfield, which isn’t Furman at all. I think he’s one of those players who would shine if the players around him were on form, but doesn’t bring much to the table when the team is playing poorly, if the movement around him isn’t good his job of keeping the ball rolling doesn’t achieve a lot.

That's very true - he'd look the part in a better; Championship midfield. Not saying he's Championship standard; that's not my point - what i'm saying is that he looks the type of player to me that would slot in and look the part in a midfield that offers movement & freedom; like you find in Championship midfields.

I watched Watford on sky not long ago; and Furman would look a hell of lot better player than he does right now playing alongside Landsbury or Cleverley instead of Whitts.......

That's very true - he'd look the part in a better; Championship midfield. Not saying he's Championship standard; that's not my point - what i'm saying is that he looks the type of player to me that would slot in and look the part in a midfield that offers movement & freedom; like you find in Championship midfields.

I watched Watford on sky not long ago; and Furman would look a hell of lot better player than he does right now playing alongside Landsbury or Cleverley instead of Whitts.......

Who's the lad they've got on loan in their midfield? Lansbury? On loan at Scunny last year? Superb player, there are good young 'uns available as we saw with KK and Hughes, we just need to scout, network and communicate. That's why TP should have a closer relationship on first team scouting matters...

Edited by oafcprozac

Who's the lad they've got on loan in their midfield? Lansbury? On loan at Scunny last year? Superb player, there are good young 'uns available as we saw with KK and Hughes, we just need to scout, network and communicate. That's why TP should have a closer relationship on first team scouting matters...

Henri Lansbury, on loan to them from the Gunners.

Was indeed at Scunny last season too on loan. John Bostock is on loan at Brentford from Spurs; heck of a talent but Brentford; yes Brentford have got him. Weird. Surely between Man U, Man City, Bolton, Blackburn (i know Blackman & :censored: are from them) & Burnley we could draft in a youngster or an out of favour older type who can make a difference in our midfield??

For me Whits was the problem last season and its the same again this season. When the going gets tough he doesnt go looking for the ball or put in the challenges. He can look very good when given space or against weaker opposition but I just dont think he is good enough to be playing week in week out at this level. You do have to wonder how bad the reserve midfielders must be though if he is keeping them out of the team.

Quick edit to address the OP. I don't think Furman has anywhere near lived up to the hype, I am prepared to give him time but we will have to see. Good central midfielders are hard to get hold of at this level though. I think we have been spoiled in recent years with Wellens and Kilkenny and further back players like the Sheridans and Murray, Duxbury.

Edited by wozz_oafc

Henri Lansbury, on loan to them from the Gunners.

Was indeed at Scunny last season too on loan. John Bostock is on loan at Brentford from Spurs; heck of a talent but Brentford; yes Brentford have got him. Weird. Surely between Man U, Man City, Bolton, Blackburn (i know Blackman & :censored: are from them) & Burnley we could draft in a youngster or an out of favour older type who can make a difference in our midfield??

Always amazes me why we don't get any more decent players from the big North West clubs :angry: