Rubbish but not relegation material

Having finally sampled the delights of the current team yesterday I drew the conclusion that we are pretty pap... Made to look passable by some pretty shocking opposition...

Add in the 5 or 6 players out injured and we are probably going to look good for a decent mid table finish, without them I suspect bottom half but doubt this team will go down.

I do realise I am basing this off ONE game...

The team lacks any quality... Gregan now stands out like a swore thumb as being the only player on the field who looks like being passable as having some talent.

Pretty accurate.

I think Hefferlump up front could be a useful finisher alongside Abbott. I hope the opportunity to pair the two together arrives as we have no obvious partner for the Pole.

I'd be comfortable with Taylor and Parker on the wings - assuming Penney can motive Parker.

Still need to look at what happens balance wise in the middle of the park though.

Pretty accurate.

I think Hefferlump up front could be a useful finisher alongside Abbott. I hope the opportunity to pair the two together arrives as we have no obvious partner for the Pole.

I'd be comfortable with Taylor and Parker on the wings - assuming Penney can motive Parker.

Still need to look at what happens balance wise in the middle of the park though.

Yeah I agree with all of that... I do not think the situation is as bad as people first feared. It looks like we are capable of turning over the lower opposition in the league which will see us stay up if not better.

The Heff showed what he can do yesterday, got himself in some decent space unnoticed for his goal and off he went... I would look at securing him... I think he has a lot more to give.

Edited by oafc0000

i'll go with your " just based on one game" opinion there.

exeter were one of the poorest teams i've seen this season-they looked like us at norwich last week.

but,you can only beat who is in front of you,so the job had to be done.

wycombe tranny and hartlepool will be far bigger tests and though i still don't think we have turned any corners after yesterday,at least we go into these 3 very important games with a win and some confidence.

the "relegation material" tab will be attached or not after the xmas / new year results.

To be fair, I thought Stephens was a bonus, and I'd like to see him given an opportunity to shine more often.

As much as I like Furman, I thought we became less of a threat when he came on, and were lucky not to have conceeded a couple in the last 10 minutes.

To be fair, I thought Stephens was a bonus, and I'd like to see him given an opportunity to shine more often.

As much as I like Furman, I thought we became less of a threat when he came on, and were lucky not to have conceeded a couple in the last 10 minutes.

stephens was for me the positive note from norwich game.he carried on that good work yesterday.

no frills but some effective work and running.

oh...he can take a corner too.. :grin:

as for furman.."its a mystery..oh its a mystery..tooo me! " B)

His pass to Smalley for the first was quite threatening.

yeah it was, but we haven't seen enough of these killer passes from him.

the guy obviously has the talent and a reputation of doing great things, but i just haven't seen a convincing performance from him this season..

it'll come ,i'm sure, but time isn't on our side when we are scrapping the barrel for every goal and point.

Edited by johnny punkster

Yeah I agree with all of that... I do not think the situation is as bad as people first feared. It looks like we are capable of turning over the lower opposition in the league which will see us stay up if not better.

The Heff showed what he can do yesterday, got himself in some decent space unnoticed for his goal and off he went... I would look at securing him... I think he has a lot more to give.

i think if we can get taylor fit and parker running past people on the wing and firing in crosses then pav and heff will do ok

heff showed why lots of teams were after him,knows how to turn and create space,just a shame nobody on the team knows how to utilise that at present,nobody runs into space to drag a defender wide leaving a gap,or gambles on going down the wing to byline and thumping it in

yeah it was, but we haven't seen enough of these killer passes from him.

the guy obviously has the talent and a reputation of doing great things, but i just haven't seen a convincing performance from him this season..

it'll come ,i'm sure, but time isn't on our side when we are scrapping the barrel for every goal and point.

Not disagreeing with any of that.

Getting the midfield balance right cost us the play-offs last season.

I'd like to think it's something Dave Penney will crack sooner rather than later.

I thought we still very poor yesterday and if it wasn't for the terrible opposition we would have drawn yet another blank.

Exeter wouldn't have scored if we were still playing now!!!

Apart from the goal, I thought Smalley's contribution was woeful and when everybody is fit his position will surely come under threat!!

Dale Stephens did well and he would be a good player in a better all round team but generally the midfield who had a lot more of the ball than usual still failed to create very much and yet again a lack of crosses from the wide positions. I can't remember Colbeck getting past his fullback once in the entire 90mins!!!

One plus point....at last we have someone who can take a decent corner................we still don't look like scoring from one mind you!"!!

A mate of mine's a bristol rovers fan - they played exeter 2 weeks ago and won 1-0, he said it was daylight robbery. Rovers are 6th, we are a long way from there, but I'd say we deserved our win;

And we had a fairly patched up side - it's ridiculous that 1 centre half out means we're playing a full back / centre mid there, but both did their job. We're missing taylor, abbott hugely. IF we can get those 2 back, we should be ok. imo.

I thought jacobson played well, smalley was like the player we remember, whitts seemed to respond to the work rate around him.

A mate of mine's a bristol rovers fan - they played exeter 2 weeks ago and won 1-0, he said it was daylight robbery. Rovers are 6th, we are a long way from there, but I'd say we deserved our win;

And we had a fairly patched up side - it's ridiculous that 1 centre half out means we're playing a full back / centre mid there, but both did their job. We're missing taylor, abbott hugely. IF we can get those 2 back, we should be ok. imo.

I thought jacobson played well, smalley was like the player we remember, whitts seemed to respond to the work rate around him.

Smalley......like the player we remember!"...............................I must have been watching a different game!!!

when everyone is fit again personally id put worthington and furman in center taylor and parker on wings and abbott and heff up front.

bit of fire in the centre of midfield and abit of pace on the wings. two good finishers up front.

:censored:?

(not arguing with what you say - just pondering, unsuccessfully, to work out how to balance our midfield).

Edited by opinions4u

:censored:?

(not arguing with what you say - just pondering, unsuccessfully, to work out how to balance our midfield).

By the time everyone is back at match fitness he will be back at blackburn.

we have so many midfielders.

Purdie, worthington, furman, whits, taylor, :censored:, smalley, colbeck, parker

:censored: did so well yesterday at centre back its going to give penny a selection headache.

Edited by LaticsLee

By the time everyone is back at match fitness he will be back at blackburn.

we have so many midfielders.

Purdie, worthington, furman, whits, taylor, :censored:, smalley, colbeck, parker

:censored: did so well yesterday at centre back its going to give penny a selection headache.

We have :censored: on loan for the full season now.

:censored: and Stephens in the middle for me based on recent performances and form.

Furman has not yet delivered what we expected, Worthington is out for a long spell yet, Whittaker is more like casper and performs 1 game in 10, Purdie? will we ever see him in a Latics shirt?

Whilst Taylor can play central midfiled, he is seen primarily as a winger and thats where he will play unless Penny plays him just behind Abbott/Heff as a 2nd striker.

2 from Taylor, Smalley, Parker and Colbeck for the wing positions.

His pass to Smalley for the first was quite threatening.

I know Deane scored but I thought Furman had plenty of room to get his own shot away tbh, very unselfish or displaying his own lack of confidence around the oppo's box? May be an explanation for his lack of penetration?

I was at both games and totally agree with your mate, Exeter passed them off the park that night as they have to many teams this year, but Exeter's problem is they usually don't make the pressure pay and get caught on the break.

Yesterday they were poor, but I think that was down to the high tempo our midfield played at which didn't give them the time to build up possession until the last 20 minutes.

furman set up goal #1 and came on half way through 1s half allowing ALEX "i wont pass and move despite having tons of ability" :censored: to slot in alongside Greegs. We certainly improved.

Stephens looked very assured on the ball and is the first CM since kilkenny whio actually drops deep to ask for the ball which is refreshing, though I'm glad we won yday cos it should give him a good run in team which he defo needs as game certainly passes him by at times. not criticising as that is to be expected from a lad who even at Bury never got a decent run of games in a row.

I thought we still very poor yesterday and if it wasn't for the terrible opposition we would have drawn yet another blank.

Exeter wouldn't have scored if we were still playing now!!!

Apart from the goal, I thought Smalley's contribution was woeful and when everybody is fit his position will surely come under threat!!

Dale Stephens did well and he would be a good player in a better all round team but generally the midfield who had a lot more of the ball than usual still failed to create very much and yet again a lack of crosses from the wide positions. I can't remember Colbeck getting past his fullback once in the entire 90mins!!!

One plus point....at last we have someone who can take a decent corner................we still don't look like scoring from one mind you!"!!

were u even there?

MOM without a doubt. Greegs and Casper were good too BUT smalley looked threatening all match untill Penney switched him and Parker at 2-0 which subsequently resulted in a downturn in our attacking play. Only man in first half working AND finally looks match-fit after being thrown in cold during november after missing 2 months plus pre-season.