stadium design

They have proved that there are no alternatives to Failsworth.

However, what this means is that we will never establish ourselves in the Championship again. In turn, this means that crowds will never rise much above the current level. People will not turn up in droves to watch a club whose main concern is to merely survive at the current level or below.

I'd love to know how you can prove that. Of course, it is merely you're opinion.

Should you not be working on the 2010 book, Nostradamus?

I am sure there are 10,000 disaffected Tics saying to themsleves " I think Latics main concern is to merely survive at the current level or below, so I am not going." My supposition is that more pressing matters weigh far more heavily:

a) Poor performance on the pitch

B) 3 sided ground

c) League position

d) Christmas

e) The economy

Not neccesarily inv that order.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most overused platitude in the English language nowadays. If it were 'Build it and then spend substantially and wisely on a quality squad that forms the basis for an attempt at a sustained period in the Championship they will come', that would be different.

But we know that this isn't the aim

So let's just all feck it off then and not bother hey.

That's not going to happen Corp - going off what you continually say, the 3rd and 4th division clubs would have no fans - as they harbour no desire to be a sustainable championship club - apart from one offs like Notts County, who are likely to go tits up anyhow - most clubs in the lower tier are realistic to their fanbase and ambitions to survive in the global greed game, if we are one of them clubs, then so be it - it is Oldham Athletic we follow, not the debt ridden ambitions of some idiotic chairman who would rather see the club short term promoted than long term survival.

Exactly - the days of the bandwagon brigade are long gone and for a very short period, we inherited 9'000 fans. Many of These fans we are unlikely to see again, which leaves us with what we have had for the majority of the last 30 years - moving to Failsworth will not alter our averag fan base so dramatically, despite the doomed mongering that has and is still going on and on and on and on and on and on........

Moving to Failsworth may not alter the fanbase drastically, but unless something truly dramatic happens on the pitch, it will steadily fall to a level that renders all talk of 'sustainability' redundant.

Past crowds do show that the latent fanbase is substantially bigger than the active support. Most of these people are in Oldham, or places traditionally associated with Oldham, which Failsworth is not.

By disregarding the so-called bandwagon brigade we are assuming that there will never again be anything to attract them back. Which, of course, sums up the whole meaning of a move to a sub-12000 stadium in Failsworth.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

how can it be a gues...he is stating they are set to leave us behind..not probably or maybe..but leaving us behind....

even if they do get promoted i think they are a long way off leaving us behind

I know you apologised for being dumb earlier, but that doesn't give you free reign to get dumber with every post. :blink:

Ok, if it makes things simpler for you, yes the Corporal can see into the future. What he writes is future fact. He is our Oracle. Believe Him or die.

That better? <_<

So let's just all feck it off then and not bother hey.

That's not going to happen Corp - going off what you continually say, the 3rd and 4th division clubs would have no fans - as they harbour no desire to be a sustainable championship club - apart from one offs like Notts County, who are likely to go tits up anyhow - most clubs in the lower tier are realistic to their fanbase and ambitions to survive in the global greed game, if we are one of them clubs, then so be it - it is Oldham Athletic we follow, not the debt ridden ambitions of some idiotic chairman who would rather see the club short term promoted than long term survival.

I'm not saying we won't have fans. But when we are treading water at this level or below, in a place that, rightly or wrongly, many Oldhamers do not think of as home, they will definitely be less in number than we see currently.

Either the club does something to attract the 'bandwagon brigade,' or else the club drifts in the lower divisions until those divisions go semi-professional. A neat little stadium will not attract them on a sustained basis, no matter how nice the facilities, if the product on the pitch remains the same. And it undoubtedly will. That's why we're building a stadium with a lower division capacity.

The most overused platitude in the English language nowadays. If it were 'Build it and then spend substantially and wisely on a quality squad that forms the basis for an attempt at a sustained period in the Championship they will come', that would be different.

But we know that this isn't the aim

In your opinion which ultimately means nothing

I know you apologised for being dumb earlier, but that doesn't give you free reign to get dumber with every post. :blink:

Ok, if it makes things simpler for you, yes the Corporal can see into the future. What he writes is future fact. He is our Oracle. Believe Him or die.

That better? <_<

Anybody would think that all my major predictions haven't come true, when even a cursory glance at my posting history on here would reveal that I've been continually right about where this club is heading.

It isn't even as if this is difficult to do.

Moving to Failsworth may not alter the fanbase drastically, but unless something truly dramatic happens on the pitch, it will steadily fall to a level that renders all talk of 'sustainability' redundant.

Past crowds do show that the latent fanbase is substantially bigger than the active support. Most of these people are in Oldham, or places traditionally associated with Oldham, which Failsworth is not.

By disregarding the so-called bandwagon brigade we are assuming that there will never again be anything to attract them back. Which, of course, sums up the whole maning of a move to a sub-12000 stadium in Failsworth.

Whilst understanding your point regarding on the pitch, I'm not so sure OAFC disregarded the "so-called bandwagon brigade", as most of them had already jumped the sinking ship before Graeme Sharp took the skint poisoned chalice on board. the board/club at that time had the opportunity to change this clubs future and they didn't - whether it was down to finances (which i suspect!) or down to lack of ambition then, we lost any chance then of sustaining that level of football at a key time in the games history.

For reasons documented/guessed/known.....this board currently cannot/will not financially cripple the club long term in chasing a short term, financially unsound dream and as much as we'd all have loved to see a 20'000 sportspark, or an 18'000 upgraded BP, the reality is that we are currently attracting below 5'000 fans to BP. To think that we would want to spend any more money on 4-6 thousand extra seats that are highly unlikely to be regularly filled in your lifetime, is not a very sensible thing to do.

I'd love to know how you can prove that. Of course, it is merely you're opinion.

Should you not be working on the 2010 book, Nostradamus?

I am sure there are 10,000 disaffected Tics saying to themsleves " I think Latics main concern is to merely survive at the current level or below, so I am not going." My supposition is that more pressing matters weigh far more heavily:

a) Poor performance on the pitch

B) 3 sided ground

c) League position

d) Christmas

e) The economy

Not neccesarily inv that order.

And you seem to be following The Idiot Diet lately, as well.

That better? <_<

hmmmm,maybe still tired from working 12 hour night shift...or lack of alcohol

in that case then could i please have the numbers for the euromillions then please..or saturdays lottery,which ever is easier to predict..if its not a bother to you

So by saying Rochdale are set to 'leave us behind' you are saying that they are going to get promoted and will perform better than us in League 1? Which, to say we are looking at mid-table obscurity, will mean they will be making an assault on the play-offs? And by 'leave us behind' you surely ultimately mean they will achieve Championship status 'leaving us behind' in League 1?

That's a cracking achievement for a team that plays in a 10,000 capacity stadium and averages home attendances around the 2,500 mark. You'd led me to believe that teams like that are consigned to lower league football forever. Funny how the rules change when it's a team other than Oldham..

Woof.

Ahem?

Woof.

Whilst understanding your point regarding on the pitch, I'm not so sure OAFC disregarded the "so-called bandwagon brigade", as most of them had already jumped the sinking ship before Graeme Sharp took the skint poisoned chalice on board. the board/club at that time had the opportunity to change this clubs future and they didn't - whether it was down to finances (which i suspect!) or down to lack of ambition then, we lost any chance then of sustaining that level of football at a key time in the games history.

For reasons documented/guessed/known.....this board currently cannot/will not financially cripple the club long term in chasing a short term, financially unsound dream and as much as we'd all have loved to see a 20'000 sportspark, or an 18'000 upgraded BP, the reality is that we are currently attracting below 5'000 fans to BP. To think that we would want to spend any more money on 4-6 thousand extra seats that are highly unlikely to be regularly filled in your lifetime, is not a very sensible thing to do.

Again we have talk of an 18000 or 20000 stadium, when all most sceptics seem to be wondering is why a full 4000 seats, a full one quarter of the projected capacity for the BP redevelopment, was lopped off overnight and with no discussion-not even a warning from the Nodding Dog-in-Chief who is rumoured to be 'our voice on the board.' That's a 16000 capacity. That's all. Not exactly overambitious when you consider what similar clubs in similar towns to Oldham manage to pull off.

Perhaps the board, like those in the past, would do well to consider exactly why we are curently attracting 'financially crippling' numbers to BP. They might even start to learn how to join the dots.

Always an excuse as to why Oldham has to be sub-standard. Perhaps one reason why the good folk of Failsworth don't like to be associated with Oldham is that they don't like the stench of continual failure. Ah well.

hmmmm,maybe still tired from working 12 hour night shift...or lack of alcohol

As it's the season of goodwill, I'll forgive you (again). :wink:

in that case then could i please have the numbers for the euromillions then please..or saturdays lottery,which ever is easier to predict..if its not a bother to you

Ah, didn't I mention? The Corp doesn't gamble. :grin:

Woof what? It's a non-point really. I'm sure the club will try to sell our own struggle to get in the fourth division play-offs as success as well.

How they will laugh in Bolton, Burnley or Preston. If they notice anything at all.

The non-point being the one you originally made? At least have the humility to admit when you've posted something which contradicts every point you've ever made.

Woof.