stadium design

When did the passport control booths get taken down in oldham?

My mum and Dad moved to Oldham in the early 70s. They were not <SHOCK, HORROR> from oldham.

OH MY GOD!

A bloke from Manchester and his wife moving to Oldham. How did this happen.

Let's face facts, there are probably more people living in Oldham that attend Manure and Citeh games than attend Oldham, games.

ALL of the towns around manchester are to some degree populated by mancunians. oldham is not a local town for local people. That's what Shaw is for. :wink:

We live in a multi-cultural world, where people access music from every nation and embrace it. We travel to every country and eat their food (except Koran dog recipes and French horse meat). And yet we find an HUGE issue ove a 3 mile move to a place that has been part of Oldham borough for as long as Chadderton, Shaw and Royton; and never been part of manchester.

If you want to just look for differences, you can always find them, whether it's between residents of derker and moorside or residents of australia and america.

I guess it's just down to your outlook.

All irrelevant when you consider that there is almost no history of support for the club in Failsworth, and that, rightly or wrongly, a part of the dewindling fanbase seems to be saying that they will not go to Failsworth.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's because it's in...Oldham. But, as I say, it's culturally Mancunian, and most people in Failsworth would consider themselves Mancunians.

Why don't they move back to Mancunia then? Failsworth is in Oldham and Oldham Athletic are going to build a new ground in Oldham.

They probably do, but everyone else thinks they are plastic mancs. I doubt when we play MK Dons etc, they will be thinking why are they playing in Manchester??? no they will be none the wiser, so move on.

It doesn't matter what everybody else thinks. That's the whole point.

They are Mancunians to all intents and purposes. The number of Mancunians who moved to Failsworth in the 1960s and '70s was vast. Most of those born in Failsworth since then probably have Mancunian parents.

All irrelevant when you consider that there is almost no history of support for the club in Failsworth, and that, rightly or wrongly, a part of the dewindling fanbase seems to be saying that they will not go to Failsworth.

All talk, the diehards will be there no matter where they play (I come from Whitworth and it doesn't put me off). The addition support will depend on how the team is playing.

Edited by bowl

It doesn't matter what everybody else thinks. That's the whole point.

They are Mancunians to all intents and purposes. The number of Mancunians who moved to Failsworth in the 1960s and '70s was vast. Most of those born in Failsworth since then probably have Mancunian parents.

I got fooled, this is supposed to be about stadium design not a debate on Failsworth. Must have got sidetracked...again.

MarkOasis is from Smithy bridge and Bigfin is from Huddersfield by way of Glasgow and Gothenburg and both of them fall into the Mancunian orbit, who gives a toss about whether you think the people of Failsworth are, "culturally Mancunian," whatever that means? It's a couple of miles down the road.

MarkOasis is from Smithy bridge and Bigfin is from Huddersfield by way of Glasgow and Gothenburg and both of them fall into the Mancunian orbit, who gives a toss about whether you think the people of Failsworth are, "culturally Mancunian," whatever that means? It's a couple of miles down the road.

I only think it matters because we seem set to lose a portion of our fanbase who will not be replaced to any significant extent by the residents of Failsworth and the parts of Manchester and Tameside that surround it.

I only think it matters because we seem set to lose a portion of our fanbase who will not be replaced to any significant extent by the residents of Failsworth and the parts of Manchester and Tameside that surround it.

Any alternative location will be objected to for one reason or another, and well you know it. The people who know for a fact that some proposed golf course in Sholver is perfect won't be happy if we build on the Our Lady's site. I'm from Rochdale and my parents came there from Preston and County Derry, both via Manchester and with a stint in Royton, these divisions in your mind just don't mean a lot to most people in this day and age.

who gives a toss about whether you think the people of Failsworth are, "culturally Mancunian," whatever that means? It's a couple of miles down the road.

I said, by the way, that I was uncomfortable with the term culturally Mancunian. All I mean is that, being from traditionally Mancunian families, if not Mancunians themselves, people in Failsworth identify with Manchester and its outlook and ways, rather than those of Oldham or any of the other surrounding former mill towns. Those differences may, in reality, be small, especially in these days of cultural homogeneity (sp.), but it is at such times that people tend to cling to their own sense of identity. Hence some Latics fans downright refusal to consider Failsworth part of Oldham, even though, technically, it is.

Th ere seem to be diehards on here saying that they won't go to Failsworth, for a start

Well if the so called diehards dont follow the team to Failsworth, we shall just have to move on without them,

Edited by 100milesaway

Any alternative location will be objected to for one reason or another, and well you know it. The people who know for a fact that some proposed golf course in Sholver is perfect won't be happy if we build on the Our Lady's site. I'm from Rochdale and my parents came there from Preston and County Derry, both via Manchester and with a stint in Royton, these divisions in your mind just don't mean a lot to most people in this day and age.

I'm not pretending that there is an alternative site. As I said, it's Failsworth or nothing, but Failsworth is the least suitable place in the borough.

The divsions are far from being in my mind alone, as you can see from the comments of others on this board.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

I'm not pretending that there is an alternative site. As I said, it's Failsworth or nothing, but Failsworth is the least suitable place in the borough.

The divsions are far from being in my mind alone, as you can see from the comments of others on this board.

So Failsworth is also the best place in the borough. It's just how you prefer to look at it.

Th ere seem to be diehards on here saying that they won't go to Failsworth, for a start

Well if the so called diehards dont follow the team to Failsworth, we shall just have to move on without them,

Yes-most likely on to the fourth division or the conference.

We might end up with all the 'self-sustaining' facilities we want at Failsworth (or we might not...), but it's all going to be a bit academic if the team is playing in front of 3000 every fortnight.

Perhaps the bit you see as irrelevant is the most relevant factor.

Whatever part of the fanbase we "might" lose, we would lose a part of that wherever we move/if we stay and build something they don't like/if the wind changes.

Erm, well, I should perhaps clarify that it's maybe the bit that you in fact see as the most relevant factor may be the most relevant reason to move. It's just that you can't grasp the logic behind it.

Oh, and perhaps your "small ground, we'll never fill it, down, down, down into the pools of blackness, black, black, the dark and black, down, down" line has now reached saturation point? Which is a nice co-incidence.

Edited by real

I said, by the way, that I was uncomfortable with the term culturally Mancunian. All I mean is that, being from traditionally Mancunian families, if not Mancunians themselves, people in Failsworth identify with Manchester and its outlook and ways, rather than those of Oldham or any of the other surrounding former mill towns. Those differences may, in reality, be small, especially in these days of cultural homogeneity (sp.), but it is at such times that people tend to cling to their own sense of identity. Hence some Latics fans downright refusal to consider Failsworth part of Oldham, even though, technically, it is.

can you prove any of this.....have you gone out to failsworth and asked people who they think they are etc etc..or is it just another crock o :censored: from you all over again......read the title of the thread,stadium design,feck all to do with your perpetual slagging of the club and its continuous downsizing..

have you rung mr corney yet to set up this meeting he said people could have????

No-one would EVER say Middleton is in Rochdale. So, why do people find it easy to say Failsworth is in Oldham ? It isn't. It's served by Oldham MBC, for logistical and political reasons, that's all. Same as Middleton's served by Rochdale MBC.

But actually for me it's not really the postcode or district name of the place we're moving to that is so worrying, it's the fact we're going right out of our heartland and into hostile territory. It might be the only site presently suitable, but it doesn't mean it's not a crazy decision.

No-one would EVER say Middleton is in Rochdale. So, why do people find it easy to say Failsworth is in Oldham ? It isn't. It's served by Oldham MBC, for logistical and political reasons, that's all. Same as Middleton's served by Rochdale MBC.

But actually for me it's not really the postcode or district name of the place we're moving to that is so worrying, it's the fact we're going right out of our heartland and into hostile territory. It might be the only site presently suitable, but it doesn't mean it's not a crazy decision.

I've said Middleton is in Rochdale (then again I've said its in Manchester too- it has a Manchester postcode too). But then again considering I don't necessarily think Lancashire ends at the River Mersey names of locations don't mean much (or sorry old names). Failsworth may be hostile territory but I'd wager there are more Oldham fans in Failsworth than many other mooted locations- heck I reckon half of Oldham's fans don't live in Oldham MBC but some people have this big hang up about keeping Oldham in Oldham.

Whereabouts is Stamford Bridge, Craven cottage, the old Wimbledon ground, Arsenal's new base, Old Trafford etc. locations boundaries are arbitory and have drawn up by some busy body from hundreds of years ago to last christmas it doesn't matter. I will watch Oldham (when I can) if we were playing in Stockport, Yorkshire, Failsworth or BP and I will travel a darn site further than most of the people moaning about it moving a few miles down the road, you cannot be a hardcore supporter and say otherwise.

Having said that it doesn't mean I'm pro-Failsworth I just don't see much of the fuss made by some- maybe if some people realise that the world doesn't end when you reach a sign that says welcome to Manchester Oldham Athletic would be in a better position.

It might be getting boring but it certainly isn't nonsense. We are moving to Manchester.

And when was it proposed we were moving to Rochdale ? It wasn't. There were a few rumours, and TTA squashed those.

Winding back a page or so....

You misread my post. I wasn't talking about recent Rochdale rumours, I was talking about when Boundary Park was built. On the Oldham boundary. Hence the name. Ok, it was the boundary with Royton (in those days an entirely separate town to Oldham) not Rochdale, but I was simply aping the geographic inaccuracy of claiming that the Failsworth site is in Manchester.

P.S. Actually I do think of Middleton as being kind of part of Rochdale.

This whole argument is pointless anyway. The simple fact is that as far as the club is concerned the proposed Failsworth site is the only one available in the Oldham borough. And given that Latics is, for now, the only professional football club in the borough I tend to think it's perfectly ok to presume that it represents Oldham the borough rather than Oldham the town. If you think the latter, then surely you'd be just as upset at the location of Boundary Park, being practically in Royton... :blink: