Jim Gannon

just read on sky he has gone from motherwell after relationship with the board broke down, i remember a strong following wanting him for gaffer before penney, anybody still intersted or happy to have avoided considering why he left motherwell (always thought he was an stubborn bugger!)??

just read on sky he has gone from motherwell after relationship with the board broke down, i remember a strong following wanting him for gaffer before penney, anybody still intersted or happy to have avoided considering why he left motherwell (always thought he was an stubborn bugger!)??

I think it's pretty irrelevant given that Penney has only been in the job a matter of months and hasn't done anything particularly worthy of sacking. The football hasn't been great but neither has his budget or his luck. I don't really know that much about Gannon other than he did pretty well at Stockport with a limited budget playing passing football, but Penney did exactly that at Darlo given a bit of time to sort things out.

I think it's pretty irrelevant given that Penney has only been in the job a matter of months and hasn't done anything particularly worthy of sacking. The football hasn't been great but neither has his budget or his luck. I don't really know that much about Gannon other than he did pretty well at Stockport with a limited budget playing passing football, but Penney did exactly that at Darlo given a bit of time to sort things out.

this was not a penney sacking thing, just thought i'd ask for an opinion whether with the beauty of hindsight we went with the right choice thats all!

Spot on.

Penney's team hasn't been pretty to watch but he should be a million miles off getting the elbow.

(The ever relaible Sun have Gannon going to Crewe).

Edited by opinions4u

Where does this nonsense that his budget isnt great come from?

Both Corney and Barry Owen have publicly stated he's got the same budget as Sheridan did last season when he had us in the playoffs until March. Unfortunately for us, Penney has blown most of his budget on :censored:e like Colbeck, Furman and sicknotes like Worthington, Holdsworth and, dare I say it, Abbott.

Spot on.

Penney's team hasn't been pretty to watch but he should be a million miles off getting the elbow.

(The ever relaible Sun have Gannon going to Crewe).

Considering he had the same budget as Shez surely what Shez did is the benchmark ?

Someone correct me if I am wrong but we wasn't this far down the league under Shez ?

Edited by oafc0000

Considering he had the same budget as Shez surely what Shez did is the benchmark ?

Seems reasonable.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but we wasn't this far down the league under Shez ?

Pretty sure we were during 2007/8, espeically nearer the start of the season.

The Shez benchmark surely comes after you've had time to get a team to gel, overcome the excessive number of injuries etc and allowed reasonable time for it all to tick. 4 months playing time is not "reasonable time" unless you're called John Barnes (who, as he was driving Tranmere in to oblivion, should have been given the job for life!).

Edited by opinions4u

Seems reasonable.

Pretty sure we were during 2007/8, espeically nearer the start of the season.

The Shez benchmark surely comes after you've had time to get a team to gel, overcome the excessive number of injuries etc and allowed reasonable time for it all to tick. 4 months playing time is not "reasonable time" unless you're called John Barnes (who, as he was driving Tranmere in to oblivion, should have been given the job for life!).

Well to be frank, some of the fan base who post here held up one of the positives (in my opinion fecking madness) of sacking Shez with 9 games to go would be a new manager would have more time to clear the decks, rebuild and then pull his side together in time for the new season. Dave Penney took over at the end of April. He has been in charge now for 8 months. The playing time lark only counts so much in my opinion. He had a whole summer plus the end of last season to shape his squad and gel it in time and what has resulted has not been good.

Shez is the benchmark. He has been brought in to better what Shez did and to be quite frank he is WAY below that mark at this moment in time. His first half of season in charge has been something of a disaster. Friends who do not follow the club keep asking me what the hell has gone wrong.

We can argue all day about when it is fair to judge him. I personally think you make the call around March and if relegation is a real possibility then we may need to act. I really do not think it is too early now to start reviewing DP though. The league table to does not lie and even when fully fit this squad did not look the best. In my eyes he has a three or so months to turn it around otherwise the pressure is going to start to tell in more ways than one.

DP is currently a epic fail. I hope he can turn it around though.

Edited by oafc0000

Why use Sheridan as a benchmark? He got Ronnie Moore's team to the playoffs, then when he had to bring his own players in we got progressively worse :lol:

Well if you apply the same logic / outcome to DP then god help us... :)

Edited by oafc0000

I am not going to enter into stupid debate like this....

:grin:

Merely making the point that the league table does lie at various stages during a season - especially if a team is going through an injury crisis.

Look, with the exception of the MK Dons game and 25 minutes against 10 man Colchester I've seen little to impress me about the performances from DP's team (perhaps with the exception of Gregan who has been immense).

I think most expected a mid-table season and a couple of players returning from that long injury list would be the difference between 19th position and 12th position come May.

If we are 19th place at the end of March, would you sack Penney? I wouldn't.

Would anyone take 20th place now if offered? I'd snap their friggin hand off!!!

No I wouldn't I'd be thoroughly disappointed with 20th I think the players coming back will be enough to see us climb the league not the play off but enough to allow us to get well away from trouble. If we finnish in the bottom 3rd we have had a poor season IMO.

Does he have the same budget Shez did?

Also, if you are going to compair him to Shez, you need to have a look at the squads they both inherited. They could both have had the same budgets but Shez might not have needed to get as many players in as DP

Edited by daniel8157

And Simon Corney at the Failsworth meeting.

I think the general line of thought though offered by some is this might of been a lie ( the same people who says we should be trusting regarding the move to failsworth :petesake: )

Edited by oafc0000

You have to remember that Penney inherited a god awful sqaud. The 2nd most off form team in the division in the 2nd half of the season and we got pasted 5 0 by the most off form team before Christmas had even come. I think our players get bigged up a bit too much sometimes. By the end of Shez's reign we were :censored:e.

Saying Penney has the same budget as Shez is stupid anyway. Overall it may well be the same. He has had to inherit a number of Shez's players still under contract. I would expect some of those who are or have been regular first teamers to be amongst the bigger earners at the club too.

It would be the same if Penney got sacked at the end of the season and the new manager had the same budget as Penney, he would still have to put up with the players Penney has given 2 or 3 year contracts to.

The only way to really see exactly what Penney can do with the same budget would be if all the players were released so he had the whole budget, or, and here is a novel idea, GIVE HIM ENOUGH TIME to completely overhaul the squad and add to the players he has bought in and then see what happens. Then if he fails fine get rid, at least he and us will know he has had a fair crack at it and not been up to the job.