Jim Gannon

You have to remember that Penney inherited a god awful sqaud. The 2nd most off form team in the division in the 2nd half of the season and we got pasted 5 0 by the most off form team before Christmas had even come. I think our players get bigged up a bit too much sometimes. By the end of Shez's reign we were :censored:e.

Saying Penney has the same budget as Shez is stupid anyway. Overall it may well be the same. He has had to inherit a number of Shez's players still under contract. I would expect some of those who are or have been regular first teamers to be amongst the bigger earners at the club too.

It would be the same if Penney got sacked at the end of the season and the new manager had the same budget as Penney, he would still have to put up with the players Penney has given 2 or 3 year contracts to.

The only way to really see exactly what Penney can do with the same budget would be if all the players were released so he had the whole budget, or, and here is a novel idea, GIVE HIM ENOUGH TIME to completely overhaul the squad and add to the players he has bought in and then see what happens. Then if he fails fine get rid, at least he and us will know he has had a fair crack at it and not been up to the job.

I take issue with this... That "god awful squad" had been fighting for promotion all season. If that was "god awful" what the hell is the current setup ?

Edited by oafc0000

I take issue with this... That "god awful squad" had been fighting for promotion all season.

They gave up the fight in January.

Tactical failures from the manager and extraordinary gutlessness from a number of professional footballers.

In 30+ years of watching football I have never seen such capitulation from a team that actually had some genuine talent in it.

They gave up the fight in January.

Tactical failures from the manager and extraordinary gutlessness from a number of professional footballers.

In 30+ years of watching football I have never seen such capitulation from a team that actually had some genuine talent in it.

.... Yet people are saying the squad was awful ? People all over the place again...

They had the guts to win a number of games comfortably and in style.

Indeed. Where the hell did that go?

As it stands Shez was 10x the Latics manager Penney is. Though this may (and probably will) change, surely nobody can dispute it, as it stands.

I rather hope it does change!

Half way through last season, Sheridan was starting to face some of the bullets - although from a different gun - that DP is starting to face off some of you after only 4 months into the season.

The crippling injury list that we have had this season to ALL of our KEY players has been nothing short of unbelievable and whilst we knew that even with this new squad, we were not expecting to mount a serious promotion push this season, but with some luck on the injury front and consistency, we may have been able to mount a play off push. However, we have had many injuries and therefore inconsistent performances at times, with DP unable to field his strongest 11, he has had to chop and change and at time square pegs into round holes have had to be put - all not ideal for a new manager.

One of the main criticisms of Sheridan that possibly aided towards his departure, was the 'players' culture' and ill-discipline that seemed to be creeping in - DP seems to have rectified that, with a hard working, honest group of players, playing to a system. Another of Sheridans seemed failings, was the use of the 'loan system', with seasoned pros jumping on board and putting as much into their performances as most blokes put into housework.

DP seems to have rectified this, - Flahavan - success, - Heff, although a lone man for most of his time here and goal ratio suffering due to lack of players around, seems to have shown more than the 3/4 duckeggs that Shez brought in - Kabba, Ormerod, Windyass and Byfield.

Our away form has been encouraging and given the lack of personnel, can see why it has been negative at times - results away from home are more important than the performance - unfortunately this has been the case at home, showing little creativity/guile - although looking a useful passing side.

Whilst understanding that the league table doesn't lie and our position currently does look precarious, I have no doubts that, once dealing with a full deck of playing cards, DP, given time, will play the right hands.

The grass isn't always greener and patience is indeed a virtue -

Looking at what Shez is doing with Chesterfield its kind of frightening how often the ones in the know around here call it wrong...

I maintain that Sheridan will become a decent manager one day, but it was never going to be with us. He needed the kick up the arse of being booted out. The club were right to get rid.

I maintain that Sheridan will become a decent manager one day, but it was never going to be with us. He needed the kick up the arse of being booted out. The club were right to get rid.

If they got rid in the summer instead of when they did I might well agree.

I take issue with this... That "god awful squad" had been fighting for promotion all season. If that was "god awful" what the hell is the current setup ?

Doing slighty better during the first half of this season than the 2nd half of last.

If anything Shez got the squad playing well above itself during the first few games of last season. Who knows could it have been the momentum gained from that superb comeback vs Milwall on the opening day? Its all ifs and buts but what is clear is that over the course of the whole season the squad was no way near good enough for promotion. And we werent really "fighting for promotion", that makes it sounds like we were going for automatic, we were fighting for a play off place.

Did you bury your head in the sand for the 2nd half of last season, we were woeful, even before the second half of last season we turned in some very poor performances. Maybe it was wrong to sack Sheridan with a small number of games to go, but the crowd had turned on him, the team was in free fall and I guess the TTA decided to take a gamble on Joe coming back which did not work. If you factor in all the off field problems too, then it was pretty obvious that something was not right.

I dont think we have had a squad geared up for promotion since Shez's first season in charge to be honest, players like Wellens and Porter have not been replaced to this day.

I think a fresh start was needed by all, I too think he could become a good manager.

The crippling injury list that we have had this season to ALL of our KEY players has been nothing short of unbelievable and whilst we knew that even with this new squad, we were not expecting to mount a serious promotion push this season, but with some luck on the injury front and consistency, we may have been able to mount a play off push. However, we have had many injuries and therefore inconsistent performances at times, with DP unable to field his strongest 11, he has had to chop and change and at time square pegs into round holes have had to be put - all not ideal for a new manager.

Pav and Taylor aside, which one of the ex-Darlington or Huddersfield reserves that are currently playing for Latics and are injured, would you regard as "Key"??

The "injury" excuse is the the thing that p!sses me off most about Penny at the moment. He seems to think that the injury list somehow justifies the awful tactics he comes up with. The post-match interview at Norwich pretty much sums this up with his "I'm not suprised we got beat" attitude - does he not realise we're supposed to compete in every game, regardless of injuries??