Would It Be Good For Us To Go Down?

I'd be much happier being lower down the food chain but with a team full of youth team products who play like they actually give a flying frig.

This is precisely what you won't get if we get relegated into the basement division. Who would 'give a frig' about a club that doesn't seem to care if it ekes out an existence at the bottom level of English professional football.

Not to mention the fact that a team full of youth products would almost certainly soon see us lose Football League status.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a thought, but could getting relegated do us a favour?

The club's going stale and people are drifting away from the team, and let's face it we aren't going to rectify that by going up. If we were to go down this season we'd lose Taylor, but if we could bring in about £500k for him and invest a little of it then a year in League 2 could give us the opportunity to actually win a few games and experience some success. Assuming that we kept a pretty standard line-up then you could guarantee that guys like Furman, Whitaker, Colbeck and Smalley would all find it easier going and it could provide them with the confidence boost and the game time to take their games to a higher level.

Young guys like Brooke could get a serious first-team game against a lower standard of opposition which may bring them on, and if we were to get straight back on it and start the season well then a push for promotion could turn out to be the shot in the arm that we need to bring some fans back into the stadium.

A number of teams have succeeded after coming up from League 2, and maybe a good promotion year could give us the momentum to challenge at the right end of the table with a team who know how to win.

Just a thought.

No no no

Mmm. End of the world was not quite what I was going for. First up, I was trying to offer a potential positive side to relegation. Secondly, I was saying that promotion wouldn't guarantee a big increase in crowds. But I suppose if you're going to be selective with quotes from my post then I guess it could have got misconstrued. And I said I was an optimist, not a blind optimist.

There is an attitude that comes across on here of negativity. This wouldn't vanish if we went up. We'd be moaning about not spending enough, not winning enough, not being entertaining enough and the crowds would soon drop if we were struggling. People are looking around and saying "why can't we be like them? We were in the prem 15 years ago". As far as I'm concerned, supporting a team like Latics isn't about being in the premiership and having a team full of free transfer foreigners. Going to Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge, putting 11 men behind the ball and praying for a 0-0.

I'd be much happier being lower down the food chain but with a team full of youth team products who play like they actually give a flying frig.

I kinda agreed about the going down, bouncing back up thing earlier in the thread.......

I kinda agreed about the going down, bouncing back up thing earlier in the thread.......

NZLatics thinking on this matter seems to anticipate what I suspect would happen if we did go down to the fourth-tier. All of a sudden we'd hear talk coming out of the club of exciting products of the youth system being the way forward. The rest is entirely predictable.