Would It Be Good For Us To Go Down?

I used to think like you but plenty of fans on here convinced me I was nothing more than a customer... :(

Although some of the same fans attack me for not stumping up £20 every week... It seems people change their mind of this one depending on the debate / ego this wish to massage...

Just to make it clear, that bit you bolded was not aimed at you or anyone else on here.

Edited by Yard Dog

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a thought, but could getting relegated do us a favour?

The club's going stale and people are drifting away from the team, and let's face it we aren't going to rectify that by going up. If we were to go down this season we'd lose Taylor, but if we could bring in about £500k for him and invest a little of it then a year in League 2 could give us the opportunity to actually win a few games and experience some success. Assuming that we kept a pretty standard line-up then you could guarantee that guys like Furman, Whitaker, Colbeck and Smalley would all find it easier going and it could provide them with the confidence boost and the game time to take their games to a higher level.

Young guys like Brooke could get a serious first-team game against a lower standard of opposition which may bring them on, and if we were to get straight back on it and start the season well then a push for promotion could turn out to be the shot in the arm that we need to bring some fans back into the stadium.

A number of teams have succeeded after coming up from League 2, and maybe a good promotion year could give us the momentum to challenge at the right end of the table with a team who know how to win.

Just a thought.

Absolutely not. It would cripple us! Are crowds not low enough as it is? I will support the club through thick and thin but thousands of others obviously wont. If we get relegated crowds of less than 3000 every home game gauranteed IMO!

Im gonna put my big coat on here cos i fear i may get snowballed by u all but.....

I dont want it to happen, i dont think it'll happen, but if we did go down i agree with Rosa that the crowds will fall BUT if we are doing a Newcastle and flying by November they'll drift back....

I expect Dales crowds have increased as their success is starting to look more like they could be serious for the title (i know its still early in season for that) and i also expect they will get even bigger if they're still top at the beginning of April. I will go as far as to stick my neck out and say i think we would have a larger crowd April 2011 if we are top of league two than we will this april.

That make sense? I know what i mean anyway!

Yeah, but I think 'Dale are a shoe in for promotion this year (if their squad isnt decimated this month). How do you think Dale being league 1 and us being in the basement would affect crowds? Theres enough on here who are drifting over to Spotland as it is... and we probably could be considered the hardcore of our support....

Going down would batter this club. Crowds of 2000 odd and even more gloom about the move. I'd say that going down would also give Corney and Co the green light to totally strip the club to pieces and utterly rebrand. By the tme we get to failsworth there would be nothing left of the club we know now...

We cant go down... seriously...

Supporters would continue to be that. People who didn't support aren't supporters.

However going down would be a very bad blow - maybe not a disaster - but something that has to be avoided .

I don't claim to have the gift of prophecy and couldn't say if would become another Wrexham or York or Chester - or Doncaster. But I want Latics to be as succesful as possible, and relegation doesn't compute into that.

Im gonna put my big coat on here cos i fear i may get snowballed by u all but.....

I dont want it to happen, i dont think it'll happen, but if we did go down i agree with Rosa that the crowds will fall BUT if we are doing a Newcastle and flying by November they'll drift back....

I expect Dales crowds have increased as their success is starting to look more like they could be serious for the title (i know its still early in season for that) and i also expect they will get even bigger if they're still top at the beginning of April. I will go as far as to stick my neck out and say i think we would have a larger crowd April 2011 if we are top of league two than we will this april.

That make sense? I know what i mean anyway!

Apparently not, there was a report on the BBC saying they are actually 500 down on last season. I expect if they are in this position come March/April though they will start to increase.

Some predictable hysteria on here...

I'd be interested to know how many clubs have actually gone into complete freefall through the divisions after relegation - I suspect that it isn't as many as night-terrors would make it out to be. Teams have bounced up and down with a fair bit of success in the past, and I'm surprised that anybody seriously thinks it would decimate support. As some young scamps have announced; you are bound to your club forever and ever ad infinitum amen, and so would crowds really drop off that far? I doubt it. We're pretty close to rock bottom with regards home support, and given that our current league has almost no local rivals the loss of away support would hardly impact on us.

Oh, and as to the posts about us staying down there... come on lads, think about it. The post was kind of premised on our going well next season - I don't need to canvass opinion as to whether getting relegated and staying down is a good thing for the club.

Edited by De_La_Vega

would crowds really drop off that far?

I genuinely believe you'd be in for a massive shock. It'd be the final straw for more people than you'd care to imagine.

Of course, if we started like a locomotive people would start coming back. But there's no guarantee that we would; in fact, the odds are probably stacked against us in that respect.

The club's going stale and people are drifting away from the team, and let's face it we aren't going to rectify that by going up. If we were to go down this season we'd lose Taylor, but if we could bring in about £500k for him and invest a little of it then a year in League 2 could give us the opportunity to actually win a few games and experience some success. Assuming that we kept a pretty standard line-up then you could guarantee that guys like Furman, Whitaker, Colbeck and Smalley would all find it easier going and it could provide them with the confidence boost and the game time to take their games to a higher level.

Young guys like Brooke could get a serious first-team game against a lower standard of opposition which may bring them on, and if we were to get straight back on it and start the season well then a push for promotion could turn out to be the shot in the arm that we need to bring some fans back into the stadium.

A number of teams have succeeded after coming up from League 2, and maybe a good promotion year could give us the momentum to challenge at the right end of the table with a team who know how to win.

Just a thought.

Bloody hell De La Vega, end up drinking all night on Saturday did you? ^_^

If we did go down then this scenario would of course be the optimists take. It could pan out that way, though I'd rather not have to find out.

Yes, mainly fuelled by what happened the previous times we've been relegated. Like Bradford, Crewe, Port Vale and Wrexham, it certainly isn't all roses and spanking cannon-fodder every week, it's like quicksand and even harder to get out, unless you orginise yourself and adapt quickly.

Some teams in the past have coped well with relegation, such as Walsall, Swindon and Gillingham but it's a complete lottery. Some do, and some don't. We may, or we may not, there's no easy-to-spot solution. It's ludicrous to suggest definitely not, but I wouldn't like to take that chance.

Truthfully, I'm confident we'll move away from the bottom four once we have more fit players returning.

So far, midtable? Wow, your outlook's pretty rosy. We're a single point outside the relegation zone.

with a couple of games in hand. we are a midtable team and only that. we might not be there at the moment but we will be att he end of the season.

relegation would be disasterous but if we went down and came back up playing better football, wouldnt that be better than going up and finishing bottom? i dont want to go down but football is football at any level and id prefer to see winning football than depressing football. we'd probably lose more fans in the long run going up too.

Personally I could imagine it being a fun season if it worked out as per DLV’s scenario, but of course it might not do. Winning games and a promotion, and lots of new grounds etc would be fun, but I think it would be fairly bad in terms of moving the club forward, the new stadium etc

Just a thought.

People said exactly the same thing after the previous two relegations.

What will happen is that the club will, as usual, 'cut it's cloth accordingly, ' and after a short time we'll find ourselves struggling to retain FL status.

+ 1,000,0000

Who gives a :censored: what division we're in ? Is it all about winning ? Because if it is then we're following the wrong team and might as well get a season ticket at Wastelands.

You support your club through good times and bad times - if you're supporter. If you're customer, well.....what the :censored: is a customer of a football team - see gloryhunter ?? Dunno, but sounds like one to me..

And by the way, I'm not saying all anyone should ever do is go and watch Oldham every Saturday...no way. People get girlfriends, wives, kids, jobs, unemployed, go traveling, get sent to prison, want to go shopping, go on holidays..whatever..I appreciate there's far more to life than football/OAFC, and only the very few can and will commit to week in, week out

BUT to :censored: your club off because they've got relegated is wrong.

After 37 years, I will not be following the club into the fourth division. Not only fifteen or so years after we saw the PL. Current attendances suggest that many people feel the same. More will join them if we get relegated and no amount of ranting from yourself, or anybody else, can change this one iota.

Edited to correct earlier bad editing.

I'd be interested to know how many clubs have actually gone into complete freefall through the divisions after relegation - I suspect that it isn't as many as night-terrors would make it out to be. Teams have bounced up and down with a fair bit of success in the past, and I'm surprised that anybody seriously thinks it would decimate support. As some young scamps have announced; you are bound to your club forever and ever ad infinitum amen, and so would crowds really drop off that far? I doubt it. We're pretty close to rock bottom with regards home support, and given that our current league has almost no local rivals the loss of away support would hardly impact on us.

Oh, and as to the posts about us staying down there... come on lads, think about it. The post was kind of premised on our going well next season - I don't need to canvass opinion as to whether getting relegated and staying down is a good thing for the club.

What other clubs have done has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on what happens at this club.

You should have learned that by now.

I genuinely believe you'd be in for a massive shock. It'd be the final straw for more people than you'd care to imagine.

Of course, if we started like a locomotive people would start coming back. But there's no guarantee that we would; in fact, the odds are probably stacked against us in that respect.

First season in this divsion under Warnock we started pretty well. Look what happened and what it's led to. There is the lesson.