Would It Be Good For Us To Go Down?

Just a thought, but could getting relegated do us a favour?

The club's going stale and people are drifting away from the team, and let's face it we aren't going to rectify that by going up. If we were to go down this season we'd lose Taylor, but if we could bring in about £500k for him and invest a little of it then a year in League 2 could give us the opportunity to actually win a few games and experience some success. Assuming that we kept a pretty standard line-up then you could guarantee that guys like Furman, Whitaker, Colbeck and Smalley would all find it easier going and it could provide them with the confidence boost and the game time to take their games to a higher level.

Young guys like Brooke could get a serious first-team game against a lower standard of opposition which may bring them on, and if we were to get straight back on it and start the season well then a push for promotion could turn out to be the shot in the arm that we need to bring some fans back into the stadium.

A number of teams have succeeded after coming up from League 2, and maybe a good promotion year could give us the momentum to challenge at the right end of the table with a team who know how to win.

Just a thought.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. No, no and thrice no. (ok that's four...)

This idea that dropping down to then gain some momentum to rise miraculously like a phoenix through the leagues is absolute rubbish.

If we go down, I predict we will not come up again under the current ownership and never will unless or until we are bankrolled by a new multi-millionaire owner. And yes I'm willing to put any amount of money you care to mention on that.

Just a thought, but could getting relegated do us a favour?

The club's going stale and people are drifting away from the team, and let's face it we aren't going to rectify that by going up. If we were to go down this season we'd lose Taylor, but if we could bring in about £500k for him and invest a little of it then a year in League 2 could give us the opportunity to actually win a few games and experience some success. Assuming that we kept a pretty standard line-up then you could guarantee that guys like Furman, Whitaker, Colbeck and Smalley would all find it easier going and it could provide them with the confidence boost and the game time to take their games to a higher level.

Young guys like Brooke could get a serious first-team game against a lower standard of opposition which may bring them on, and if we were to get straight back on it and start the season well then a push for promotion could turn out to be the shot in the arm that we need to bring some fans back into the stadium.

A number of teams have succeeded after coming up from League 2, and maybe a good promotion year could give us the momentum to challenge at the right end of the table with a team who know how to win.

Just a thought.

Have a serious word with yourself

NO NO NO

Im gonna put my big coat on here cos i fear i may get snowballed by u all but.....

I dont want it to happen, i dont think it'll happen, but if we did go down i agree with Rosa that the crowds will fall BUT if we are doing a Newcastle and flying by November they'll drift back....

I expect Dales crowds have increased as their success is starting to look more like they could be serious for the title (i know its still early in season for that) and i also expect they will get even bigger if they're still top at the beginning of April. I will go as far as to stick my neck out and say i think we would have a larger crowd April 2011 if we are top of league two than we will this april.

That make sense? I know what i mean anyway!

The term i was looking for is what i put. If your real oldham you support them through good & bad.

+ 1,000,0000

Who gives a :censored: what division we're in ? Is it all about winning ? Because if it is then we're following the wrong team and might as well get a season ticket at Wastelands.

You support your club through good times and bad times - if you're supporter. If you're customer, well.....what the :censored: is a customer of a football team - see gloryhunter ?? Dunno, but sounds like one to me..

And by the way, I'm not saying all anyone should ever do is go and watch Oldham every Saturday...no way. People get girlfriends, wives, kids, jobs, unemployed, go traveling, get sent to prison, want to go shopping, go on holidays..whatever..I appreciate there's far more to life than football/OAFC, and only the very few can and will commit to week in, week out

BUT to :censored: your club off because they've got relegated is wrong.

+ 1,000,0000

Who gives a :censored: what division we're in ? Is it all about winning ? Because if it is then we're following the wrong team and might as well get a season ticket at Wastelands.

You support your club through good times and bad times - if you're supporter. If you're customer, well.....what the :censored: is a customer of a football team - see gloryhunter ?? Dunno, but sounds like one to me..

And by the way, I'm not saying all anyone should ever do is go and watch Oldham every Saturday...no way. People get girlfriends, wives, kids, jobs, unemployed, go traveling, get sent to prison, want to go shopping, go on holidays..whatever..I appreciate there's far more to life than football/OAFC, and only the very few can and will commit to week in, week out

BUT to :censored: your club off because they've got relegated is wrong.

I used to think like you but plenty of fans on here convinced me I was nothing more than a customer... :(

Although some of the same fans attack me for not stumping up £20 every week... It seems people change their mind of this one depending on the debate / ego this wish to massage...

Edited by ste1987