Would It Be Good For Us To Go Down?

with a couple of games in hand. we are a midtable team and only that. we might not be there at the moment but we will be att he end of the season.

relegation would be disasterous but if we went down and came back up playing better football, wouldnt that be better than going up and finishing bottom? i dont want to go down but football is football at any level and id prefer to see winning football than depressing football. we'd probably lose more fans in the long run going up too.

You'll get your wish when a plucky bunch of Latics semi-professionals are stringing together a winning run in the Conference North.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe some people see going down as a better option than going up!

Some Latics fans have become frightened of their own shadows. That's why the prospect of a little lower division stadium in Failsworth is so appealing-it takes off any pressure to succed. They can settle back and enjoy those compelling local derbies with Bury, Stockport, Rochdale (?) and Crewe.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Definitely not. We would lose our best player and asset in Chris Taylor. The crowds would drop and if we are realistic we probably wouldn’t be good enough to come straight back up. We would no longer get a decent travelling support from the Leeds/Huddersfield/Leicester/Wednesday type sides that constantly find themselves in league one. Our biggest away crowds would be Rochdale and Bradford.

If we went down would we retain Penney? Or would we get rid of him for taking us down when the season before we were a decent team. If we got rid of him we would have to bring in a new manager and new players. Upsetting any kind of balance of rhythm we may have. Notts County have as good a, if not better squad than we do and they are hardly setting the league alight!

On the plus side Parker might turn into a 6 a season striker.

People said exactly the same thing after the previous two relegations.

What will happen is that the club will, as usual, 'cut it's cloth accordingly, ' and after a short time we'll find ourselves struggling to retain FL status.

and the club won't cut the cost of watching the games neither = further depleted fan base. The only way is up.

and the club won't cut the cost of watching the games neither = further depleted fan base. The only way is up.

If we go down, all that will have happened is that the fate we escaped at the end of Ritchie's first season in charge will have been delayed by eleven years.

Back then I remember people calling us the new Doncaster. The only difference is that there will be no quick recovery at this club.

Definitely not. We would lose our best player and asset in Chris Taylor. The crowds would drop and if we are realistic we probably wouldn’t be good enough to come straight back up. We would no longer get a decent travelling support from the Leeds/Huddersfield/Leicester/Wednesday type sides that constantly find themselves in league one. Our biggest away crowds would be Rochdale and Bradford.

If we went down would we retain Penney? Or would we get rid of him for taking us down when the season before we were a decent team. If we got rid of him we would have to bring in a new manager and new players. Upsetting any kind of balance of rhythm we may have. Notts County have as good a, if not better squad than we do and they are hardly setting the league alight!

On the plus side Parker might turn into a 6 a season striker.

Every cloud's got a silver lining.....

with a couple of games in hand. we are a midtable team and only that. we might not be there at the moment but we will be att he end of the season.

Let's be realistic; there are very few teams that we have two games in hand over, and a fair few who've played the same number we have.

We're a midtable team if and when we get into midtable. But don't kid yourself, as things stand, we're in a relegation battle. And how many times have we seen teams who saw themselves as 'too good/big to go down' make the drop?

Have it your way, but it's more than obvious really.

I'm sorry fo dragging this one up as it was slipping down the board.

CJ, ur gonna have to explain this one to me. I don't want to sound blonde or anything but how the hell can we, the fans, be frightened of succeeding?

Do u really think we go and sit in the cold praying we lose so we don't have to suffer promotion? Or is it the thought of bigger clubs bringing more fans that you think maybe has us trembling?

I don't get it?

What about Doncaster? They were on the verge of going under and playing to crowds of a few hundred when they got relegated to non-league. A bit of stability followed, then a push for promotion and suddenly the crowds were flying back in and they were getting a few thousand by the time they were near the top of the conference.

The club and the town needs some sort of 'feel good' factor. Even if, by some miracle, we scraped a run together and got promoted (not going to happen but just say it did) there would be little change in the crowds in the Championship. People would be preparing themselves for relegation and at the first sign of trouble we would be back to 5000 again.

When was the last 'feel good' time at BP? 1990-94?

All the marketing gurus and ideas in the world won't attract crowds back to BP. Promotion probably wouldn't either. One thing that might is a squad of local youngsters starting from scratch together, building a style of play, building understanding and working their way up the league. To be honest, I can't see that happening in this division as the demand to get out sees the constant short-sighted purchasing of journeymen and dodgy loan signings.

Just to clarify, I don't want to get relegated. What fan would? Just suggesting a possible silver lining, irrespective of how unlikely it might be. I'm just an optimist.

The club and the town needs some sort of 'feel good' factor. Even if, by some miracle, we scraped a run together and got promoted (not going to happen but just say it did) there would be little change in the crowds in the Championship. People would be preparing themselves for relegation and at the first sign of trouble we would be back to 5000 again.

When was the last 'feel good' time at BP? 1990-94?

All the marketing gurus and ideas in the world won't attract crowds back to BP. Promotion probably wouldn't either.

I'm just an optimist.

Well there u go. Damned if we do, damned if we don't. We may as well just throw it all in now and all go support utd or city.

If that's ur idea of optimism I'd had to see ur dark side.

I bet Simon Corney must have the headache of doom if he's reading this stuff.

Well there u go. Damned if we do, damned if we don't. We may as well just throw it all in now and all go support utd or city.

If that's ur idea of optimism I'd had to see ur dark side.

I bet Simon Corney must have the headache of doom if he's reading this stuff.

Mmm. End of the world was not quite what I was going for. First up, I was trying to offer a potential positive side to relegation. Secondly, I was saying that promotion wouldn't guarantee a big increase in crowds. But I suppose if you're going to be selective with quotes from my post then I guess it could have got misconstrued. And I said I was an optimist, not a blind optimist.

There is an attitude that comes across on here of negativity. This wouldn't vanish if we went up. We'd be moaning about not spending enough, not winning enough, not being entertaining enough and the crowds would soon drop if we were struggling. People are looking around and saying "why can't we be like them? We were in the prem 15 years ago". As far as I'm concerned, supporting a team like Latics isn't about being in the premiership and having a team full of free transfer foreigners. Going to Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge, putting 11 men behind the ball and praying for a 0-0.

I'd be much happier being lower down the food chain but with a team full of youth team products who play like they actually give a flying frig.