Minus Lee Hughes

155 members have voted

1. 1. Would last season have been any different to this...had we not had Lee Hughes at the club?

• Yes
    • No

Utterly pointless stats though, as without Hughes someone else would have been playing in his position and would presumably have scored at least some of his goals (and some he didn't).

As for the end of last season, with hindsight we can say the season probably didn't finish much if any better than it would have done under Shez, but I am absolutely certain it wouldn't have finished any better than it did if Shez had stayed.

For all the talk about Penney, budgets, right or wrong to sack Shez...I've one simple question...

Personally, I think Shez had all the real coin left in the club in his 1st 2yrs and that Shez, Penney or Mourinho would've been in the same :censored: last season, but for Lee Hughes, as this season. So changing managers won't make a difference unless we stop bargain hunting.

For crying out loud, it's been confirmed just last week, by one of the few men who can could do such a thing, that Penney's budget is GREATER than Sheridan's was last season. Now, I will concede you have adapted your 'blame Shez and TTA to defend Penney' stance accordingly, and now say Sheridan "had all the money during his first two seasons before having his budget reduced as he was meant to have his squad in place", but I'd challenge that rubbish with one simple question of my own....

Did all the players 'in place' take a pay-cut over the summer of 2008, or something? :unsure:

Fact is, like Shez or loathe him, and in spite of his few petty failings, he overperformed relative to his budget where as Penney has absolutely failed to deliver in pretty much every aspect.

Am I the only one who thinks this is an utterly pointless question?

It's certainly not as pointless as your remark.

If the question is pointless then surely football forums as a whole are?

Edited by Stitch_KTF

For all the talk about Penney, budgets, right or wrong to sack Shez...I've one simple question...

Personally, I think Shez had all the real coin left in the club in his 1st 2yrs and that Shez, Penney or Mourinho would've been in the same :censored: last season, but for Lee Hughes, as this season. So changing managers won't make a difference unless we stop bargain hunting.

Yeah I would agree wholeheartedly about the Hughes question. Not so sure on the budget, if DP has spent on Furman and Colbeck, then I can see where money has gone.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

Calm down, dear. Hardly. By that rationale everything on this board is either worthwhile or pointless.

My point was it's an impossible question to answer. No one can say this team is equal to last season's minus Hughes. Football doesn't work like that.

We were better last season we could score. Parker and Hazell are our second top scorers with 2 goals this year. most the team got more than that last season.

We took games to people too. We weren't afraid of the so called big clubs and took the game to them. We struggled when people came to BP and sat 10 men behind the ball. Then we struggled to break them down.

We were better last season we could score. Parker and Hazell are our second top scorers with 2 goals this year. most the team got more than that last season.

We took games to people too. We weren't afraid of the so called big clubs and took the game to them. We struggled when people came to BP and sat 10 men behind the ball. Then we struggled to break them down.

Lee Hughes on Radio Manchester last night. Just to paraphrase what he said: I enjoyed my time at Latics and still look for their results. They should be doing better than they are at the moment - I don't know what's happening there really. I'm sure with the players they have they will improve.

I still keep in touch with lots of the players - Rubes, Taylor (some more who I can't remember! - Thats me not Hughesy).

Oldham got rid of me so there was nothing I could do but I have a lot of time for the club and the fans (who were always great to me) because they gave me the chance to rebuilt my career.

I think he'd come back tomorrow. :deal2::dance:

Calm down, dear. Hardly. By that rationale everything on this board is either worthwhile or pointless.

My point was it's an impossible question to answer. No one can say this team is equal to last season's minus Hughes. Football doesn't work like that.

Yes, sorry Stevie. There was no need for my first sentance in reply to you, I was wretched this morning.

For crying out loud, it's been confirmed just last week, by one of the few men who can could do such a thing, that Penney's budget is GREATER than Sheridan's was last season. Now, I will concede you have adapted your 'blame Shez and TTA to defend Penney' stance accordingly, and now say Sheridan "had all the money during his first two seasons before having his budget reduced as he was meant to have his squad in place", but I'd challenge that rubbish with one simple question of my own....

Did all the players 'in place' take a pay-cut over the summer of 2008, or something? :unsure:

Fact is, like Shez or loathe him, and in spite of his few petty failings, he overperformed relative to his budget where as Penney has absolutely failed to deliver in pretty much every aspect.

See sadly for you, the "and now say Sheridan" and tailoring arguments accordingly to back DP is blown out of the water by the fact I've said (and you know this, but have selectively forgotten) that about Shez having all the coin in Season 1 and 2 for about 15 months now!!! (I pointed this out when the wheels started coming off for Shez last season and he cried about his budget!!!)

As for them having a 2008 paycut....if it need spelling out...the point is about ADDING players to his squad! Not about those already budgeted for on existing contracts (a lot of which came to an end by the end of last season.)

Shez failed badly on a healthy 3-yr budget...2 of which had most of the coin while year 3 was significantly scaled down. And yes, DP will maybe have more than Shez last season. So he should in year 1 of building his own squad....but there's no way this budget matches Shez's 1st or 2nd season. I don't see a Gregan 4k a week or a Lee Hughes coming in anytime soon. Do you???

Edited by boundaryblue80

Thats because we have got 10 men behind the ball as well, which is how you get the mind numbing game of football that was the Tranmere match, neither team wanted to or was capable of scoring a goal or winning the game.

See sadly for you, the "and now say Sheridan" and tailoring arguments accordingly to back DP is blown out of the water by the fact I've said (and you know this, but have selectively forgotten) that about Shez having all the coin in Season 1 and 2 for about 15 months now!!! (I pointed this out when the wheels started coming off for Shez last season and he cried about his budget!!!)

As for them having a 2008 paycut....if it need spelling out...the point is about ADDING players to his squad! Not about those already budgeted for on existing contracts (a lot of which came to an end by the end of last season.)

Shez failed badly on a healthy 3-yr budget...2 of which had most of the coin while year 3 was significantly scaled down. And yes, DP will maybe have more than Shez last season. So he should in year 1 of building his own squad....but there's no way this budget matches Shez's 1st or 2nd season. I don't see a Gregan 4k a week or a Lee Hughes coming in anytime soon. Do you???

Sorry mate, I'm not with with you here. :unsure:

Based on what I can fathom, some points which spring to mind.....

1) It doesn't matter how long you've been saying it - it's still bollocks.

2) To make a fair assumption, budgets are set year by year, with any and all existing contractual liabilities deducted from that particular season's budget. If you sign a player on a three year contract his entire cumalative salary does not come out of the budget for the season during which he was signed, which leads me on to point 3....

3) If Gregan was earning £4k a week during 2006/2007, then he was earning £4k a week during 2008/2009 (out of this supposed "significantly scaled down budget"). Likewise, Hughes also earnt during 2008/2009 whatever he earnt during 2007/2008. Believe it or not, this is why clubs often look to get contracted players off the wage bill to, consequently, free up some of their budget.

Points 2 and 3 are glaringly obvious but your second paragraph infers that you must somehow think otherwise, and we are "spelling things out" now, aren't we? :wink:

4) Penney has probably spent more on transfer fees than Shez did (in any one season at least), which blows what little relevance your ADDING players comment had 'out of the water'. Furthermore, the players I recall Shez paying a fee for, O'Grady and Davies, have since been sold on for profit.

5) Any extra money Shez did have over Penney was deserved, simply because his tenure attracted significantly more paying attendees and he achieved some success in the cup.

For the record, I would be inclined to agree that Sheridan's budget was reduced for the third year of his reign (the first budget set following the global financial crisis, and at a time when budgets were accordingly being reduced across the Football League), however I don't believe it was a particulary great reduction. After all, the 2008/2009 squad and it's supplimentary loanees was hardly drastically different to the 2007/2008 one. So, seeing as DP's budget IS greater than last seasons (not "maybe"), in spite of the reduced season-tickets sales, I would deduce that it is similar, or at least approaching, Sheridan's initial budget.

You, on the other hand, are constantly making out as though Big Bad John blew the family silver (whilst yet failing to retain players such as Wellens and Porter and instead being forced to shop around in the bargain basement for players such as McDonald, Allott, Hazell and Whittaker), thus leaving DP with nothing to work with.

Lastly, I can only imagine you spout this :censored:e in order to further your agenda of deflecting criticism away from the deserving Dave Penney and towards the less deserving TTA, as you 'campaign' for a change of ownership (and whilst also managing to bash Shez a little more as a bit of a BB80 Bonus).

Lee Hughes on Radio Manchester last night. Just to paraphrase what he said: I enjoyed my time at Latics and still look for their results. They should be doing better than they are at the moment - I don't know what's happening there really. I'm sure with the players they have they will improve.

I still keep in touch with lots of the players - Rubes, Taylor (some more who I can't remember! - Thats me not Hughesy).

Oldham got rid of me so there was nothing I could do but I have a lot of time for the club and the fans (who were always great to me) because they gave me the chance to rebuilt my career.

I think he'd come back tomorrow. :deal2::dance:

You'd be surprised how little he wanted to stay here, especially when you consider how many he's scored at County and was open to negotiation.

Add to the equation that he loved it at the club, wanted to stay, really appreciated and wanted to repay the loyalty from certain members within the club but was just asking for a little extra as he was effectively commiting himself to his final contract in professional football at this level.

When you see some of the players we've signed since, it was a major mistake by the owners and those who influenced the decision not to keep Lee here.

We've missed our opportunity once County came in and even if they have to offload then I'm confident that they'd be clubs around offering more than we're prepared to offer despite us wasting even more on wages for other players who have come and gone.

You'd be surprised how little he wanted to stay here, especially when you consider how many he's scored at County and was open to negotiation.

Add to the equation that he loved it at the club, wanted to stay, really appreciated and wanted to repay the loyalty from certain members within the club but was just asking for a little extra as he was effectively commiting himself to his final contract in professional football at this level.

When you see some of the players we've signed since, it was a major mistake by the owners and those who influenced the decision not to keep Lee here.

We've missed our opportunity once County came in and even if they have to offload then I'm confident that they'd be clubs around offering more than we're prepared to offer despite us wasting even more on wages for other players who have come and gone.

Sadly, I agree Midsblue. He was our prize asset and we let him walk away... :disappointed:

I did write to AH at the time pleading for the club to go that extra mile and I was asked to contribute towards his wages! I thought that I was by a range of items season tickets, lotto,world and texts....

So we acquired a range of clapped out bangers instead... no doubt paying more than LH wanted.