oft whats the best free antivirus on the net

byrnes boots

You may find this interesting:

Product Removal of malware removal of leftovers

McAfee average average

Sophos average average

Microsoft good good

Full comparison report at : http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stor...emoval_2009.pdf

I use comodo, before that I used AVG and I haven't had a problem either virus, trojan, malware or anything like that nor have I had a slow system. But this raises a couple of points, I am pretty careful what I do with my windows pc, I don't open stupid attachments, install dodgy software or any of the other no nos so theoretically I could have been running no AV product and been perfectly fine apart from sasser I think, that was a good bit of code.

Plus my pc is reasonably decent spec so a bit of processing power and ram devoted to AV doesn't hurt. But it makes you wonder what the AV products are actually doing? Are they doing anything worthwhile at all? Plus they tend to be reactive rather than proactive. Big grey area if you ask me, the best thing you can do is be a sensible web user.

AVG's free antivirus used to be one of the best, but I get the impression it has fallen back.

If you don't want to pay (circa £30-40 a year) then the best bet is to trawl internet review sites and go for a combination of free offerings to provide anti-virus, email scanning, ad-blocking etc.

I've got the full AVG Internet Security and am happy with it, but the latest versions of others such as Norton also rate well.

(Norton used to be terrible for using up processor resource, but the latest version of its Internet Security package has resolved that.)

I've just put the latest version on my lappy and don't have any speed issues. When I first bought the lappy I tried to put it on then (about 18 months ago), it ran slower than a dead snail. I used comodo for a while, but am now back at AVG and all seems well.