Dear Barry

I'd like to know if they'd like ME to stay.

I'm 50 years old and have supported Latics since i was six. I've lost count of the season tickets i've blindly renewed, year after year often simply because i just couldn't imagine not returning whatever the circumstances. It's very unlikely i wouldn't renew again next year but i have to confess that despite being in possession of my ticket, i often need to really drag myself to BP these days.

Fact is.....i'm one of the lucky ones with a disposable income that isn't affected by whether i renew my ticket or not....and even i'm becoming fed up with Latics. What chance those not so fortunate? Well, let me tell you Barry, if i had to make those choices right now, i'd be dropping the sporting love of my life for the telly because there is NOTHING to warrant spending £20+ for what is on offer either on or off the pitch. Huge mistakes have been made. The heart has been ripped out of the matchday experience by taking away first the Clayton arms and second the Lookers. IMHO, those two decisions affect each home attendance by at least 500 spectators, let alone the associated revenue from the bars. I could understand it if Failsworth was a done and dusted deal.....but come on.....huge mistakes.

So....what is in it for me Barry.......what do TTA promise to deliver to keep me interested......then remember i'm one of the lucky ones who you or TTA don't actually have to try all that hard to keep on board......what will the board be doing for the dwindling remainder?

I'm 50 years old and have supported Latics since i was six. I've lost count of the season tickets i've blindly renewed, year after year often simply because i just couldn't imagine not returning whatever the circumstances. It's very unlikely i wouldn't renew again next year but i have to confess that despite being in possession of my ticket, i often need to really drag myself to BP these days.

Fact is.....i'm one of the lucky ones with a disposable income that isn't affected by whether i renew my ticket or not....and even i'm becoming fed up with Latics. What chance those not so fortunate? Well, let me tell you Barry, if i had to make those choices right now, i'd be dropping the sporting love of my life for the telly because there is NOTHING to warrant spending £20+ for what is on offer either on or off the pitch. Huge mistakes have been made. The heart has been ripped out of the matchday experience by taking away first the Clayton arms and second the Lookers. IMHO, those two decisions affect each home attendance by at least 500 spectators, let alone the associated revenue from the bars. I could understand it if Failsworth was a done and dusted deal.....but come on.....huge mistakes.

So....what is in it for me Barry.......what do TTA promise to deliver to keep me interested......then remember i'm one of the lucky ones who you or TTA don't actually have to try all that hard to keep on board......what will the board be doing for the dwindling remainder?

I couldn't have put it better myself, exactly the same for myself and my wife.

The closure of the Lookers was a shocking decision even without the benefit of hindsight. There are countless loyal season ticket holders who used to sit in the Lookers who no longer attend. We went to the RRE and are now in the main stand paddock, neither of which has the same,allbeit limited,appeal.What about the kids? Never mind the diehard adults,the future of the club is also being sold down the river,what affinity can boundary blues have,without even a home in the ground?

and me.. and at the start of this season I purchased and extra season ticket and donated it back to the club for it to be given to someone who needed the help.

I have since cancelled Latics World, The Lotto and SMS Texts.... after the sale of O'Grady. If the club folded tomorrow I wouldn't be too concerned.

and me.. and at the start of this season I purchased and extra season ticket and donated it back to the club for it to be given to someone who needed the help.

That was a great jesture

I have since cancelled Latics World, The Lotto and SMS Texts.... after the sale of O'Grady.Understandable

If the club folded tomorrow I wouldn't be too concerned. I'm sorry but that is just wrong..... The Passion maybe low but the love is deeper than TTA involvment in the club

Thought i was reading about myself for a minute -

Spot on

OTID - that is one of the best posts I have read in a long while and perfectly sums up the feeling of apathy that is rife concerning the club at this moment in time.

Dereliction, devoid of the match-day experience, devoid of emotion, devoid of direction and almost devoid of fans.

Who in their right state of mind wants to keep paying £20+ to watch dross in a run down stadium, with a dismal lack of atmosphere?

The board will do nothing...the land is their saviour...Boundary Park is in peril of dying as a sporting venue. The entire club may go the same way.

Very very good post.

Great post, I have to agree on the Lookers stand. I loved sitting in there and have tried the other 3 stands since and its just not the same. Im getting to a point now where I would be glad to forget about a new stadium and and just built a new stand to replace the Lookers

Great post, I have to agree on the Lookers stand. I loved sitting in there and have tried the other 3 stands since and its just not the same. Im getting to a point now where I would be glad to forget about a new stadium and and just built a new stand to replace the Lookers

Me too and then slowly upgrade the other stands over time. Sadly we have been told this is not an option :disappointed:

Knocking the Lookers down, in hindsight, would appear to have been an own goal of spectacular proportions. I'd say this was the single biggest contributing factor to the negativity around the matchday experience (perhaps with the exception of the product on the pitch which is a complete variable).

Superb post

WHoose fault is the lack of atmosphere? surely that 90% the fans? TTA allowed fans to move into the Roachdale Road end after people came up with the idea of the accustics.

OK the stadium looks a mess with 3 stands but we as fans need to get behnd the team and the atmosphere at BP has been week for ages. Its rare we get much crowd noise at home even in better times we have never been a really loud home crowd (probably not sice the premp days did we get more than 1 chant) so its no surprise that as crowds drop off it gets quieter and quiter

honestly how many fans do you think said well the lookers has gone so im never going again? it can only be a handfull, be honest it was hardly the best stand. Everyone else has moved and will therefore buy the same food lottery programmes etc just in a different stand. we just dont have the running cost, stewarding electricity etc each matchday

really?

lost revenue in all those fans who stopped going?

lost revenue from beer sales,food,programmes,lottery,etc etc?

lost revenue from fans who WON'T go AGAIN?

mmmm?

It made sense to me too as a short term measure. Admittedly I didn't go as far as factoring all the above into any calculation, but that does have to be balanced against the extra expenditure that would have been required to keep it safe and open for a further few seasons.

It stopped making sense at all when the builders hadn't turned up a few months later to begin work on the new stand.

In terms of revenue, by far the biggest loss was the indoor bar with TVs. How many people used to arrive early for a pint? Nothing but a kiosk outside in the rain and cold in the RRE, and nothing at all in the Chaddy.

It was more than that though. I sit in the Chaddy but used to go in after the game to have a pint or 2 with long-standing footy mates who sat in different parts of the ground (Derek Wilson, LaticNik, Frankly, Optional, Rummy and many more etc etc. It used to be part of the fabric of going to the game. It was perfect cos it was right there on the doorstep. Didn't matter if it was pissing down with rain or whatever cos you didn't have to troop to a pub somewhere. We could go in, celebrating after a great performance or cursing and swearing more often than not about giving away cheap points etc.

Now, because you have to arrange to go to a pub (and lets face it, people's geographical home locations dictate the direction they tend to drift in after a game) most don't bother and I think that for me, that's missing a big part of the 'matchday experience'.

I understood the short term financial reasons for pulling it down, course I did, but I still think that in hindsight it was a right 'Royle' balls up in not keeping it open.

honestly how many fans do you think said well the lookers has gone so im never going again? it can only be a handfull, be honest it was hardly the best stand. Everyone else has moved and will therefore buy the same food lottery programmes etc just in a different stand. we just dont have the running cost, stewarding electricity etc each matchday

I know of three. Sat in every other stand last season and didn't like any. The thing is if the performances were any good they would probably be back.