Game off!

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm. It only compounds things for me does that.

Doesn't the club bang on about how their covers are effective for temperatures of up to -4?

Minus 5 eh? A whole 4 degrees colder at BP than at my house in Hollinwood. It was minus 1 when I got home at 4am, I made a point of checking the temperature to gauge whether the game should be on.

Seems to me like others have alluded to, is that the area in front of the stand is mostly the problem. Can't we provide more covers than that?

As a side note, I'm not questioning the groundsman for his dedication. I do know he spend 24 hour shifts trying to get our ground fit during the recent freeze. Ultra important we got this game on today.

The ONLY relevant place to check the tempreture is on the pitch in the precise area the ref has concerns for. You can have vast differences in temperature over just an area of 50 square metres let alone a mile or more and the frost will tend to be worse at the lowest part of the area and not the highest or where the sun cannot reach it.

So to try to say you know better than the people in a position to judge is really just ridiculous and being controversial for the sake of it.

God your a boring **** bb80. Putting the covers on too early kills the grass and can cause more problems than a frozen pitch

Really...well we had them on for 2 weeks over Xmas and only got a minor fungal problem. Run along now...or are you waiting around for 5pm so you can put up the league table and shout Penney out! A game being called off actually suits your agenda really, doesn't it!

So to try to say you know better than the people in a position to judge is really just ridiculous and being controversial for the sake of it.

Oh, don't worry. I'm not saying I know better than a groundsman. That'd be ludicrous. I'm genuinely surprised they called it off when it didn't seem that cold to me. I've definitely felt it much colder some nights, and the game's been on the next day.

But, I do think we need better covers than the ones we have. Wouldn't surprise me, knowing Latics and how decay sets in around the club and ground that the covers we have are full of holes and way past their sell-by date. It's fine having the odd game called off a season, but this season's turning into a joke rapidly. The last thing we needed was another week where our relegation rivals have a great chance to pull clear of us with winnable games.

Fair comment, but as FMS says, there's more we could've done! Be interesting to see if Brentford say owt about it...

Like what???? The covers were put on yesterday, as the club anticipated low temperatures.

At the time of putting the covers on, the pitch was not frozen.

When the frost covers came off, parts of the pitch were frozen and as a result the game was called off.

And considering where the away fans were travelling from, I think we are very fortunate that the referee give it as long as he did.

If anyone is going to have a go at the club for anything, it should be for the article they put up this morning which didnt stick to the facts and mislead the fans re "we do not anticipate any problems".

Ackey - a bit off beam but this is boring me - can you point out who is who (names from here would be good) on the photo, I know some faces from lonely away games in the past!

If it's not of interest to anyone else a PM will do.

Thanks

In order: Ric, Ackey, Tracy, Paul, Beardy, Mark, Pete, Simon

Tuesday February 20th, 2001...evening kick off against Reading.

It was effing freezing and the consensus opinion was for the game to be called off. The club, however, pulled out all the stops to get the game on and it went ahead. The pitch was like a skating rink, with players treading warily and not committing themselves to anything stupid.

The P.A. announced proudly over the system that the club had practically worked miracles to get the pitch playable, whilst over games around and about had been postponed. As fans, we were chuffed to have a game to go to...we lost 0-2. :grin:

Admittedly, the pitch was in a better condition (and so was the squad).

Erm, the covers weren`t actually on when we had all that snow. :lol:

What was it you were saying about running along ......

How dare you let facts get in the way of a rant at the club :wink:

Only thing the club can be criticised for in my opinion is putting up an article stating that no problems are anticipated, as Brentford fans may have set off on this basis.

If the covers were put on the pitch whilst the pitch wasnt frozen, and didnt provide enough insulation, then the temp was obv lower than -2. Enough of the "my car said the temp was -1 milarkey" was their car parked in the centre circle of boundary park?????

Erm, the covers weren`t actually on when we had all that snow. :lol:

What was it you were saying about running along ......

Lol...ok, covers weren't on but the point was that the pitch was covered for 2wks...not the same as having the covers on for 2wks but the same result...the grass was covered.

Hey...if you're all happy that enough was done to get today on...fair play to you! I'm not. As is bluntly obvious...we've got games on in a lot worse conditions. An undeniable fact. Today...the club got something wrong and/or didn't do enough....in my opinion. Tough if people don't like my opinion... :grin:

Edited by boundaryblue80

Lol...ok, covers weren't on but the point was that the pitch was covered for 2wks...not the same as having the covers on for 2wks but the same result...the grass was covered.

Hey...if you're all happy that enough was done to get today on...fair play to you! I'm not. As is bluntly obvious...we've got games on in a lot worse conditions. An undeniable fact. Today...the club got something wrong and/or didn't do enough....in my opinion. Tough if people don't like my opinion... :grin:

Itts not obvious though is it

we've got games on in a lot worse conditions. An undeniable fact.

True, we have, but it was not the clubs decision to call off the game, it was the referees.

Today...the club got something wrong and/or didn't do enough.

Like what??? They anticipated cold temps so they put the covers on. The covers didn't provide enough protection. It was even given till 12:30 which considering the opposition, is leaving it very very late

Tough if people don't like my opinion... :grin:

And an unfounded one at that. Your just having a go at the club for the sake of it.

Early evening with Full moon and clear skies it was even colder. SO CLUB should have been well aware of RISKS to game and by now s

They were, hence why they put the frost covers on. Frost covers only provide protection to -2 (and I believe the forecast was no lower than -2)

And the referee could easilly have insisted on an earlier inspection given where the away team was traveling from.

Have we had any sensible suggestions of how the club could have got the game on?

Yes...

I'm like BB80, I'm a bit sceptical about the game being called off. We've had quite a few games on worse days (and nights) than this, yet got the game on. The temp never reached -4 last night, I arrived back hom at 4am this morning and it was -1 on my cars thermo.

Not only that, check out the vibes coming from the club site yesterday and today. "Don't anticipate any problems", "Frost covers on which should do the job" etc etc. I mean, for a couple of small patches of frost today, with the temp expectedly rising towards match tiems, couldn't they have chucked a load of hot water down on the frozen bits? Or go through that burning barrel routine like lots of other clubs do. It stinks IMO.

Wins for Gills and Brighton will cut us adrift today. It was imperitive we had the game on. It completely smacks of not enough being done to get this game on.

Like what??? They anticipated cold temps so they put the covers on. The covers didn't provide enough protection. It was even given till 12:30 which considering the opposition, is leaving it very very late

More than just sticking the covers on, evidently. Extra heating on the parts that suffer the most, hot water put down when temps got to 0 degrees and above. I'm sure equipment can be hired out on a day-to-day basis to help thaw the pitch out. I've even seen other clubs with burning barrels to aid thawing. The game being on was crucial to both our league position and also DP's job. All indications so far just lead to the conclusion of the club not being quite prepared enough to ensure we saw the fixture on.

Like I said ages back. The club messages were of not to worry. Which is wrong when the messages now are the complete opposite which is the ground's rock hard and had no chance of playing. Huh?

More than just sticking the covers on, evidently. Extra heating on the parts that suffer the most, hot water put down when temps got to 0 degrees and above. I'm sure equipment can be hired out on a day-to-day basis to help thaw the pitch out. I've even seen other clubs with burning barrels to aid thawing. The game being on was crucial to both our league position and also DP's job. All indications so far just lead to the conclusion of the club not being quite prepared enough to ensure we saw the fixture on.

Last season for the Hartlepool game the club put covers on, the hired out 6 industrial heaters and staff stayed over-night to ensure the game was on. The game was still called off. However, that`s all well and good. What people are clearly over-looking (and once again i`ll put in in bold) is the fact that the forecast forecasted a temperature of minus 2, which would have been fine. What came was a temperature of minus 5, how could anyone possibly see that coming? Why would anyone at the club feel the need to hire any equipment out with temperatures that the covers could handle. Please dont give us the whole "i checked on my car and it said minus 2" rubbish, as it`s been said it gives a totally different temperature to the pitch temperature.

Like I said ages back. The club messages were of not to worry. Which is wrong when the messages now are the complete opposite which is the ground's rock hard and had no chance of playing. Huh?

From yesterday

With temperatures due to dip below zero tonight, Latics are taking no chances for tomorrow's home league game against Brentford.Groundstaff this morning covered the whole of the Boundary Park pitch with frost sheets due to the local forecast predicting temperatures as low as minus two degrees.

"The frost sheets ought to be sufficient to keep out the frost and we do not anticipate any problems," explained Chief Executive Alan Hardy

A precautionary pitch inspection will take place early tomorrow and an update will be given on the website.

The club went off the forecast and deemed frost covers as enough protection, which if the forecast was accurate they would have done.

This morning 8:30

Latics groundstaff report that the overnight frost has made the goalmouths and linesman's runs a little hard but with temperatures expected to rise above freezing by 9am today they do not expect any problems with the game going ahead at 3pm

Club obviously thought that they had done enough.

Match referee Tony Bates arrived at Boundary Park early for today's game and was not too happy with certain areas of the pitch where the frost had penetrated the frost covers which had been in place overnight.

The referee obviously disagreed.

Is it the clubs fault the forecast was wrong? Did the club call off the game? No and no.

So please can we give the conspiracy theories a rest, or the 'i know I cant have a pop at the players today so I will have a pop at the groundstaff instead".

ITS ALL DOOOOOOM AND GLOOM the game is off get over it the ref called it off get over it club put covers on pitch yesterday get over it please stop the whining god i thought women can moan jesus was i wrong

+1

I really dont get it

Is it a case off "Damn, I can't slate the players for no reason today, I know I will slate the groundstaff instead"