Latics, film and music

Probably a long shot but has anyone ever heard anything about a film that was part made in the early 1930s called Derby Day? It was about a Latics v Rochdale game and featured what is generally thought ti be the first popular song specifically about football; Pass, Shoot Goal! by Gracie Fields.

I am in the final stages of completing a screenplay in which the song features and would very much like to know its history.

IIRC Diego posted ages ago about trying to get in to see it for a kid's ticket but they were having none of it.

I just listened to it again. Half of the lyrics involve two fans bickering among themselves as one criticises and one supports. We should adopt it as the theme tune of this site.

I just listened to it again. Half of the lyrics involve two fans bickering among themselves as one criticises and one supports. We should adopt it as the theme tune of this site.

Which begs the question are they on here now? I can think of a couple of people. They didn't mention lack of investment leading to permanent lower leage status did they?...

IIRC Diego posted ages ago about trying to get in to see it for a kid's ticket but they were having none of it.

It must have been somebody else as we were too poor to go to the pictures.

Probably nothing to do with what Dave is searching for, but I remember a film made in 1955, when I was more affluent, called 'The Love Match' which starred Oldham comedian Danny Ross, Arthur Askey and Glenn Melvyn. Two football-loving railway workers got into trouble after racing their engine home to get to a match on time. The football action footage was taken at a City v United match IIRC.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Didn't it come out recently that Gracie was a Tic?

The song is a bit controversial, as Gracie Fields, Rochdale's most famous Daughter, is clearly heard shouting for Latics :shock: Good Girl Gracie :grin:

(Sorry, just been reading the post about alliteration by Banana Boy (damn...must.....snap..out...of....it....))

The song is a bit controversial, as Gracie Fields, Rochdale's most famous Daughter, is clearly heard shouting for Latics :shock: Good Girl Gracie :grin:

That's quite right - she clearly says "Come Omn Oldham" several times during the song although I suppose it could be argued that she was in character. She did once pay, allegedly, the Dale squad's wages for a month when they had run out of cash.

There isn't much new in the world.