I reckon 4-3-3 is the now the best formation for us to adopt. Price is not an out-and-out striker (hence his goalscoring record). He is like Keigan Parker, an 'attacker' (although hopefully he will actually be able to play football). I think we should play Pav as the central striker, with Taylor and Price either side of him. If Aljofree has signed, he can play right-back. Goodwin can move into centre mid as the ball-winner with Stephens and either Furman/Whitaker as the attacking midfielder. The only danger is that this may actually make Latics a semi-attacking team, which David Penney seems vehemently opposed to. Let's give it a go though.

Thoughts?

Whenever we have tried to play 4-3-3 or similar with abbott acting as lone striker we have been s**te, the two up front wide players just dont get forward fast enough, or at all, they play like usual wingers and spend most of their time defending as we never get forward and when we do, they are busy defending. The whole team just seems clueless on how to play one up front, we cant counter attack for s**t. Whenever we gain posession its hoofed up to abbott who has no or little support and we lose possession, either that or we simply lose it because we dont have one player atm who can hold onto the ball, pick a pass or take a man on.

If we play 4-3-3 expect us to lose the next 5 games.

I reckon 4-3-3 is the now the best formation for us to adopt. Price is not an out-and-out striker (hence his goalscoring record). He is like Keigan Parker, an 'attacker' (although hopefully he will actually be able to play football). I think we should play Pav as the central striker, with Taylor and Price either side of him. If Aljofree has signed, he can play right-back. Goodwin can move into centre mid as the ball-winner with Stephens and either Furman/Whitaker as the attacking midfielder. The only danger is that this may actually make Latics a semi-attacking team, which David Penney seems vehemently opposed to. Let's give it a go though.

Thoughts?

Aljofree is a left back but i like your idea. tThe 4-4-3 can become 4-5-1 when defending (or away) with taylor and Price becoming midfiled/wingers ready for any counter attack.

dont know if you noticed mate but scoring seems to be our problem, so a defensive formation wont help our cause

That's a fair point:

Brill

McKerr Hazell Gregan Al Jaffrey Jacobson

Goodwin :censored: Furman Stephens

Parker

Edited by OldhamSheridan

Thoughts?

One of the few teams I have seen who play 4-3-3 are Droylsden, and they have scored 57 goals in 23 matches this season - with all the front three reaching double figures.

The secret is mobility of the front runners and a constant supply to them, good quality distribution is essential and all players should be comfortable on the ball.

The flaw is more goals may be conceded under this system as attacking full backs and midfielders can leave gaps at the back if counter attacked, or if they are muscled out of the game.

I like this system, but you need the right sort of players to make it work, I'm not sure if Latics have them - particularly the distribution aspect.

Slight tangent, but Jonathan Wilson's Inverting the Pyramid is a fascinating read on football tactics like 4-3-3, and makes a lot of sense talking about certain formations falling out of fashion (e.g. why playing three at the back has largely disappeared because it's easy to counter). He write some very good columns in The Guardian on tactics.

I'd like to see:

Brill

Jacobson, Gregan, Hazell, any 1 from 15

Taylor, :censored:, Goodwin, Smalley

Abbott, Price

This is basically using the central midfield to break a few legs and stop the other side playing, get the ball and give it to the wingers to supply the front men.

But this means dropping our best midfielder at the mo in Stephens which is a shame. This football manager lark isn't as easy as it looks.

Slight tangent, but Jonathan Wilson's Inverting the Pyramid is a fascinating read on football tactics like 4-3-3, and makes a lot of sense talking about certain formations falling out of fashion (e.g. why playing three at the back has largely disappeared because it's easy to counter). He write some very good columns in The Guardian on tactics.

Whilst looking that up I came across this which looks even more interesting...

Why England Lose

Could be one for leeslover and GeorgeHarveyBone to digest and debate. :wink: