Should Dave Penney still be manager of Oldham Athletic

The best time to change your manager is when you've got a better one avaiable who wants the job.

We've won 2 out of 4 (with the other games being away from home at top 6 teams).

Things are looking a little prettier on the pitch.

Players are returning from injury.

We're out of the bottom 4.

Stuff the debate - let's go to Leeds and do them again!

The best time to change your manager is when you've got a better one avaiable who wants the job.

We've won 2 out of 4 (with the other games being away from home at top 6 teams).

Things are looking a little prettier on the pitch.

Players are returning from injury.

We're out of the bottom 4.

Stuff the debate - let's go to Leeds and do them again!

+1!!!

Things have improved a lot in the last few weeks, there's no denying that. DAVE PENNEY IN.

I always said stand by him, then I faltered for a while because it was really beginning to look like we'd lost our way - I'd have agreed with sacking him 3 weeks ago just to arrest the slide (in fact at least one of the postponements may well have saved him).

However it seems there are a few positive signs now, so I think we have to stand by him. Look back to our last relegation scrap - it was obvious that Talbot would definitely take us down so he had to go. Even then, having made the change, we only survived by the skin of our teeth. Right now I'd say it's 50/50 that Penney will save us from the drop, maybe slightly better than that. And I don't believe those odds would improve if he were sacked.

Penney in. And if he's staying this season then he has to be given the chance next season too - relegation or not.

I always said stand by him, then I faltered for a while because it was really beginning to look like we'd lost our way - I'd have agreed with sacking him 3 weeks ago just to arrest the slide (in fact at least one of the postponements may well have saved him).

However it seems there are a few positive signs now, so I think we have to stand by him. Look back to our last relegation scrap - it was obvious that Talbot would definitely take us down so he had to go. Even then, having made the change, we only survived by the skin of our teeth. Right now I'd say it's 50/50 that Penney will save us from the drop, maybe slightly better than that. And I don't believe those odds would improve if he were sacked.

Penney in. And if he's staying this season then he has to be given the chance next season too - relegation or not.

That's where I am too - well done to Penney for seemingly starting to steady the ship. Whether or not he can get the more stubborn members of the faithful back on side, and crowds back up towards 5000, remains to be seen.

That's where I am too - well done to Penney for seemingly starting to steady the ship. Whether or not he can get the more stubborn members of the faithful back on side, and crowds back up towards 5000, remains to be seen.

Dave Penney - too cautious a manager for me - hampered by injuries it's true and (Parker aside) has brought in potentially decent players at this level.

It's the way he sends his teams out to play that doesn't quite do it for me - he is all about keep it narrow and keep it tight - why else play Smalley out wide in preference to Colbeck?

Now that he has one or two back from injury and one or two beginnning to show more of their true form, we are seeing what the team can be - a middle of the table side with no real flair or adventure - difficult to beat but a team that will not score too many goals either.

His one stroke of luck was that Stephens was not catching at Rochdale and so came back - look how good he is when given a decent run.

So should he still be manager? Yes... just

Is he the manager I would choose - with hindsight.. No

Get rid? No... well at least not yet :wink:

Dave Penney - too cautious a manager for me - hampered by injuries it's true and (Parker aside) has brought in potentially decent players at this level.

It's the way he sends his teams out to play that doesn't quite do it for me - he is all about keep it narrow and keep it tight - why else play Smalley out wide in preference to Colbeck?

Now that he has one or two back from injury and one or two beginnning to show more of their true form, we are seeing what the team can be - a middle of the table side with no real flair or adventure - difficult to beat but a team that will not score too many goals either.

His one stroke of luck was that Stephens was not catching at Rochdale and so came back - look how good he is when given a decent run.

So should he still be manager? Yes... just

Is he the manager I would choose - with hindsight.. No

Get rid? No... well at least not yet :wink:

my heart says get rid,i dont like the bloke he,s not good for the club and the football is tripe.

my head says he has to stay we cant be sacking another manager on the spur of the moment

+1 except for the last bit.

At this moment in time I don't think there is anyone worth sacking him for, not as if there is an abundance of managers with a decent pedigree at this level who would jump at the chance to take over.

Although if we were to go down I dont think we would have a choice but to sack him. I am not claiming to speak for any particular group of fans here but I would most definitely not renew if we went down and Penney was still in charge.

Saying that though, I would expect more than just Penney to lose his job if we went down. I think it is completely unfair to blame the situation we are in at the moment entirely on the manager.

Penney in, the team is starting to improve and i don't think the next couple of games will produce many points for us (although we were unlucky yesterday) so its all about regaining fitness and improving the football. Give him at the very least until the end of the season and if we don't get relegated then give him next season aswell. If he goes it's likely that we will end up with some one much worse.All those who were pressuring for Shez to leave are probably the same ones pressuring Penney. We took a step down when we buckled last season, doing it again could be very harmful