It's getting on my pip that everyone else gets slagged off but not the seemingly untouchable Abbott. He is just as guilty as the rest as far as I'm concerned.

Why? Well he needs roughly half a dozen reasonable chances before he does score, he wants too much time on the ball as was clearly evident yesterday, and most annoyingly for me, he never seems to want to work for the ball. Grant Holt yesterday was all over the place the whole game chasing down defenders and dropping short for the ball. Pav? He just stood there demanding the long ball to him, which was easily read by the centre halves who merely nipped in front and muscled him off it.

And don't get me started on the show pony tricks and flicks he's so fond of......

I realise he's been our only goalscorer of note this season, and I'm not suggesting we drop him. However, I am a little mystified as to why he seems to come out of games without criticism. He could have doubled his tally so far this season.

Edited by Snookmeister

It's getting on my pip that everyone else gets slagged off but not the seemingly untouchable Abbott. He is just as guilty as the rest as far as I'm concerned.

Why? Well he needs roughly half a dozen reasonable chances before he does score, he wants too much time on the ball as was clearly evident yesterday, and most annoyingly for me, he never seems to want to work for the ball. Grant Holt yesterday was all over the place the whole game chasing down defenders and dropping short for the ball. Pav? He just stood there demanding the long ball to him, which was easily read by the centre halves who merely nipped in front and muscled him off it.

And don't get me started on the show pony tricks and flicks he's so fond of......

I realise he's been our only goalscorer of note this season, and I'm not suggesting we drop him. However, I am a little mystified as to why he seems to come out of games without criticism. He could have doubled his tally so far this season.

He had a poor game yesterday - too many fancy flicks when a simple lay off would have been better - and he doesn't strike the ball cleanly.

Should have come off and Eaves given a chance imho

i agree tbh. he seems untouchable when on a few occasions he should have been hauled off. problem is we have no one to put on instead of him. unfortunately he is our best bet up there. hes far too lazy and its infuriating. his fitness needs improving and i no hes been injured and probably not fully fit yet but at the beginning of the season when he was fit he still looked lazy especially last 20 mins of games. the amount of times he stood there yesterday and let the goalie waste time was amazing. i do thing we have to stick with him but he needs a rocket up his arse. i would much rather have him charging round closing players down and doing the dirty work and having to take him off after 70 mins than have him stroll through 90 mins. he could win matches for us with a bit more effort. as u have said if he put himself about like grant holt we would have a cracking striker on our hands . . . problem is he isnt grant holt

He’d look good if he had a good striker playing with him.

He’s a target man. But we’re using him as our main striker as we have no one else and even Abbott isn’t that good.

We need Scot Vernon to save the day.

Yes, he's banging them in for fun....

Whilst Abbott clearly has bags of flair and ability you have to begin questioning the end product at some point - maybe we are starting to see why he's not the Championship player that he can often look like?

I suspect he's immune from any stick because he's pretty much the only player providing any real entertainment and goals to our suffering hardcore, which is probably fair enough. Who else is good to watch? Gregan and Stephens can be. Taylor was. <_<

Whilst Abbott clearly has bags of flair and ability you have to begin questioning the end product at some point - maybe we are starting to see why he's not the Championship player that he can often look like?

I suspect he's immune from any stick because he's pretty much the only player providing any real entertainment and goals to our suffering hardcore, which is probably fair enough. Who else is good to watch? Gregan and Stephens can be. Taylor was. <_<

taylor was good last season,this one is a no show

abbott isnt and shouldnt be immune from critisism...if he has a bad game then fair enough.

the trouble is that his and price thinking is clearly above everybody elses and when they are not in a position to shoot lay it off,sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt,and when it doesnt its because our other players cant read it.

hughes never used to get much stick either,because of goals scored regardless of if he had a bad game and was lazy half the time...

Oh right; everyone else has been lambasted; it must be Pawel's turn........

Someone has said on this thread he's a target man; he isn't - he's a link striker and there is a difference. Steve Howard at Leicester is a target man. Steve Fletcher at Bournemouth is a target man. Julian Alsop at Cheltenham is target man. Andy Booth formerly of Hudds was a target man. Pav isn't like these sorts.

He has found the net this season as regularly as he has throughout his career; he has never been a 20 a season striker.

With an adequate & long-term strike partner along side him; we'd have probably been alright this season. Whilst the strikers have had to feed off scraps; when they have fashioned something out of the proverbial nothing; it hasn't been finished. As I've said previously; an 'off the shoulder' partner is needed for Pav; someone to get on the end of his flicks and dinks and to take advantage of the room he creates - we didn't have one when Penney took over and he's failed to bring on in all season.

If we believe what has been alluded to; he (DP) put all his eggs into a little Irish-lad shaped basket. Had DP secured one of his primary targets; Billy Clarke, then I believe; even with all the other troubles in the side; we'd have been seen right. The numerous one-on-ones that have been spurned by the likes of Parker et all wouldn't have been IMO by this lad - and he would have been the ideal foil for Pav.

He didn't get him; or an equivalent and here we find ourselves; woefully short of goals.

Pav isn't untouchable for criticism from me; but he hasn't been helped all season by a lack of strike partner and poor team tactics deployed. Even so; he has easily been our only attacking threat, our only regular goalscorer and our only slight ray of light outside of our own defensive third.

Edited by slystallone

Oh right; everyone else has been lambasted; it must be Pawel's turn........

Someone has said on this thread he's a target man; he isn't - he's a link striker and there is a difference. Steve Howard at Leicester is a target man. Steve Fletcher at Bournemouth is a target man. Julian Alsop at Cheltenham is target man. Andy Booth formerly of Hudds was a target man. Pav isn't like these sorts.

He has found the net this season as regularly as he has throughout his career; he has never been a 20 a season striker.

With an adequate & long-term strike partner along side him; we'd have probably been alright this season. Whilst the strikers have had to feed off scraps; when they have fashioned something out of the proverbial nothing; it hasn't been finished. As I've said previously; an 'off the shoulder' partner is needed for Pav; someone to get on the end of his flicks and dinks and to take advantage of the room he creates - we didn't have one when Penney took over and he's failed to bring on in all season.

If we believe what has been alluded to; he (DP) put all his eggs into a little Irish-lad shaped basket. Had DP secured one of his primary targets; Billy Clarke, then I believe; even with all the other troubles in the side; we'd have been seen right. The numerous one-on-ones that have been spurned by the likes of Parker et all wouldn't have been IMO by this lad - and he would have been the ideal foil for Pav.

He didn't get him; or an equivalent and here we find ourselves; woefully short of goals.

Pav isn't untouchable for criticism from me; but he hasn't been helped all season by a lack of strike partner and poor team tactics deployed. Even so; he has easily been our only attacking threat, our only regular goalscorer and our only slight ray of light outside of our own defensive third.

As you now know... +1 !!

Something specific you mention - space. The reason Parker has missed 11 (or more) one-on-ones this season is not just thanks to Pav's layoffs and through balls, but also the amount of damage he does to a back line.

His positional sense and understanding of movement is exceptional for this level. He does so much damage to the organisation of a back four that a good quality goal scorer (Porter or Hughes are the most recent examples) would have bagged an absolute ton of goals this season.

There's certain things you can't teach, both physically (natural pace as an example) and mentally (an instinctive understanding of how to angle a run, position your body and so forth) and sadly Pav is the only player in the side at this time who can appreciate and capitalise on his own ability in those areas.

As you now know... +1 !!

Something specific you mention - space. The reason Parker has missed 11 (or more) one-on-ones this season is not just thanks to Pav's layoffs and through balls, but also the amount of damage he does to a back line.

His positional sense and understanding of movement is exceptional for this level. He does so much damage to the organisation of a back four that a good quality goal scorer (Porter or Hughes are the most recent examples) would have bagged an absolute ton of goals this season.

There's certain things you can't teach, both physically (natural pace as an example) and mentally (an instinctive understanding of how to angle a run, position your body and so forth) and sadly Pav is the only player in the side at this time who can appreciate and capitalise on his own ability in those areas.

Ta! :wink:

I watched Swansea vs Newcastle the other week on Sky and I have to say that IMO Pav would fit into and thrive in a team set up in the way Swansea are - ironic as he once played for them.

We haven't played to his strengths all season and he hasn't had a suitable strike partner to link with either - I'm chuffed to bits he's managed to score as many times as he has so far....

Ta! :wink:

I watched Swansea vs Newcastle the other week on Sky and I have to say that IMO Pav would fit into and thrive in a team set up in the way Swansea are - ironic as he once played for them.

We haven't played to his strengths all season and he hasn't had a suitable strike partner to link with either - I'm chuffed to bits he's managed to score as many times as he has so far....

I've said many times, if Pav had the pace of Parker he'd be playing in a top-ten Championship team without a shadow of a doubt.

As it is, I'd say he's a top League One/mid Championship player.