• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 races in to 2010/11 and it seems that there is still a lack of overtaking. Once a driver gets behind a car unless he has a clear straight line speed advantage then it is nearly impossible to overtake.

The first thing that needs to be said is we are two races in. One race saw very little over taking and the second races saw a lot more overtaking. So I think we need to give it half a season before we start drawing conclusions on this years changes.

There is defiantly an issue that needs dealing with though. The teams ignored last years agreement to reduce downforce by 50% which would of seen this issue massively reduced to everyones annoyance.

The thing with F1 is that some people are watching the wrong sport. It is, and always has been, as much to do with the cars / teams / strategy as it is the driver.

Also some people do see the past in rose tinted glasses as well. The 80's and early 90's produced some fantastic races which people remember with found memories. But what is often forgotten is the large number of dull races that still occurred. They also forget the very high number of retirements that happened which really meant it was all about the front six cars or so.

Everyone in F1 wants more over taking. We can get that by reducing the downforce and making a few over changes. The danger is though it becomes Indy car racing or some other form of boring american racing that sees the lead change 50 times.

Edited by oafc0000

Also some people do see the past in rose tinted glasses as well. The 80's and early 90's produced some fantastic races which people remember with found memories. But what is often forgotten is the large number of dull races that still occurred. They also forget the very high number of retirements that happened which really meant it was all about the front six cards or so.

Everyone in F1 wants more over taking. We can get that by reducing the downforce and making a few over changes. The danger is though it becomes Indy car racing or some other form of boring american racing that sees the lead change 50 times.

I agree with pretty much all of that, reliability is something that is both a blessing and a curse, on the one hand we all want to see the cars last the distance but it can lead to some of the most exciting bits when it comes over the radio that some driver has lost system x and another driver closes them down....

No problem with the cars having all manner of technical gubbins to squeeze every horsepower and what have you out of it but if that means a similarly powered car with a maniac like Lewis, Schumaker or Alonso at the wheel can't get by a Kubica, Trulli or Massa something is wrong. Downforce is a massive issue and there were mutterings yesterday that the teams may do something about it. It is a shame that KERS has been universally dropped, that may have helped yesterday, after a year to refine the system I think a few more teams may have benefited.

The first thing that needs to be said is we are two races in. One race saw very little over taking and the second races saw a lot more overtaking. So I think we need to give it half a season before we start drawing conclusions on this years changes.

There is defiantly an issue that needs dealing with though. The teams ignored last years agreement to reduce downforce by 50% which would of seen this issue massively reduced to everyones annoyance.

The thing with F1 is that some people are watching the wrong sport. It is, and always has been, as much to do with the cars / teams / strategy as it is the driver.

Also some people do see the past in rose tinted glasses as well. The 80's and early 90's produced some fantastic races which people remember with found memories. But what is often forgotten is the large number of dull races that still occurred. They also forget the very high number of retirements that happened which really meant it was all about the front six cars or so.

Spot on. I take a passing interest in F1 but for me WRC (and indeed rallying over track racing in general) is much better to watch.

More variety, better drivers, much more of the spectacular and much more danger. There's often a bit of comedy in there somewhere too.

better drivers

One has to ask themselves how Lewis Hamilton seems to manage over taking yet the other drivers do not ?

We have to many steady eddies like Button on the grid and not enough Hamilton's. I am always staggered at the level of hatred shown towards Lewis. Take Hamilton off the grid and its scary boring what would be left.

I think the drivers need to step up to be frank. Take more risks.

Edited by oafc0000

The tracks just aren't conducive to high speed wheel-to-wheel racing anymore.

Bahrain had too many slow entry corners, Albert Park was slightly better because it has late braking corners at turns 1 and 3, and to an extent 9.

The FIA for some reason consider Monaco the jewel in the crown, yet it is too narrow even on the fast sections for any level of overtaking. At the same time proper racetracks like Magny Cours, Brands Hatch and Estoril have been pushed off the race calendar.

Hockenheim was brilliant before they took the forest section out, as was Nurburgring before they shortened it. Spa has the greatest section in motor racing through the Eau Rouge / Radillon configuration, and Paul Ricard's Mistral is a fabulous test of driver's bottle, yet the authorities insist on taking the exciting corners out and replacing them with a succession of short bursts of speed into tight turns (A la Singapore).

When Senna was killed after apparently bottoming out on the Tamburello at Imola, instead of smoothing out the surface they completely restructured the section. Nobody wants to see drivers killed, but the only time their nerve is tested is when they all converge into the first corner at the start.

I have loved F1 since the very early seventies, but it now seems that the emphasis is on making sure the car finishes in the points rather than going all out to win. Schumacher, Hamilton and Alonso aside, aggression has disappeared, and the great days of Fittipaldi, Scheckter, Peterson, Piquet, Senna and Prost will never return until the tracks return to testing the drivers mettle.

Oh, and bring back refuelling, QUICK!

The FIA for some reason consider Monaco the jewel in the crown, yet it is too narrow even on the fast sections for any level of overtaking.

Monaco is the jewel in the crown. I love Monaco. Its not just the FIA either, If Monaco was ever to be removed you would see a monumental backlash from the fans. I am not talking about the casual take it or leave it F1 fans, I am talking about the ones who pay out to go to the tracks, who talk day in day out on the F1 forums etc. Its a unique challenge. Its all about Strategy and pace. One mistake and your race is over.

Anyway, who says you can't over take in Monaco.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4ATz6D7o4k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH4Mcx7oVpg

Oh, I am also not critsiing your level of "fanship" ? just take I know other F1 fans feel very strongly about Monaco.

I agree with the rest of your post.

Edited by oafc0000

I can't stand Monaco, dull dull dull dull dull. Only enlivened if there is a crash these days. The new Spanish street circuit is just the same, Singapore is marginally better but that might just be because it is a night race and that gives it a little quirk.

I can't stand Monaco, dull dull dull dull dull. Only enlivened if there is a crash these days. The new Spanish street circuit is just the same, Singapore is marginally better but that might just be because it is a night race and that gives it a little quirk.

The problem is the introduction of circuits like the new spanish one etc... I think Monaco should keep its place on the calendar and these new ones be scrapped.

Its a unique challenge. Its all about Strategy and pace. One mistake and your race is over.

A bit like the Goodwood Hill Climb then, rather than a race. :wink:

I know how passionate a huge number of F1 fans are about Monaco - It's a one-off spectacle that I've witnessed first hand, and thoroughly enjoyed, but it isn't a race like any other, and I can fully understand why many casual tv viewers consider it a procession.

I've also been to many other GPs around the world, and the only thing I prefer about Monaco is that you can get closer to the action than anywhere else.

I remember Jacques Laffite taking Thierry Boutsen AND Keke Rosberg on the outside of the hairpin in one of the most outrageous moves I've ever seen, and I agree that the two vids of Alonso being overtaken at the chicane were excellent (Albeit down to Alonso's front tyres being completely shot IIRC), but Schuey parking his Ferrari at Rascasse proved that it's not all down to your ability there - the outcome has often be decided by someone elses error/deliberate ploy.

I was at the last Hockenheim GP before they shortened it, and I honestly thought the changes would be the final nail in the coffin for F1, but I reckon Bernie's boys deliberately tinker with the rules every year in order to keep people interested in whether those changes are going to herald a return to the old days (Which I agree weren't always as exciting as we sometimes make out).

I'll carry on watching it no matter - It's still infinitely more entertaining than watching Latics at the moment :grin:

I know how passionate a huge number of F1 fans are about Monaco - It's a one-off spectacle that I've witnessed first hand, and thoroughly enjoyed, but it isn't a race like any other, and I can fully understand why many casual tv viewers consider it a procession.

I'd consider myself a casual viewer, I'll always check the results and watch the 5-10 minute catch up that the BBC do, but I can't recall the last time I actually watched a race from start to finish.

That said, I love Monaco despite it's lack of overtaking... it's an iconic race and one that personally excites me because whilst you don't have the will-they-won't-they overtaking excitement there is a constant feeling that anything could happen. I'm not trying to say I watch only for the crashes - but the 'threat' of one at Monaco is a constant excitement generator.

Spot on. I take a passing interest in F1 but for me WRC (and indeed rallying over track racing in general) is much better to watch.

More variety, better drivers, much more of the spectacular and much more danger. There's often a bit of comedy in there somewhere too.

Rather watch these Formula 1's myself :shock::chubb::blueball:

Hmmm, not a good one, some great work by Lewis that didn't actually matter, Alonso did well, knackered car but nearly beat Button, Algosuauauauawiiii had a quality race, good work by the young lad. Red Bull's sponsors must be gutted, hardly featured once they ran away with it.

Stand by previous comments that these new regulations make for dull races, when you are relying on rain to make it "interesting" might as well give them red shells and mushrooms....

Hmmm, not a good one, some great work by Lewis that didn't actually matter, Alonso did well, knackered car but nearly beat Button, Algosuauauauawiiii had a quality race, good work by the young lad. Red Bull's sponsors must be gutted, hardly featured once they ran away with it.

Stand by previous comments that these new regulations make for dull races, when you are relying on rain to make it "interesting" might as well give them red shells and mushrooms....

Starting to get worried now...

Hamilton drove his heart out again and still found (I only seem to go backward Button) not far behind... Great entertaining drive from Hamilton, the rest need to attach there bollocks and be more aggressive.

Force India vs McLaren... McLaren can not pass... Something clearly needs doing... I don't think KERS is the answer.. 50% reduction in down force is a better idea but no chance of that now until next season :(

Edited by oafc0000

• 2 weeks later...

Another race where Hamilton shone, take him out of the sport and it would really struggle. Rain affected again with the tyre changes, Button cruising off in to the distance which on the one hand I'm happy about but on the other it is hardly wheel to wheel epic racing.

Hamilton isn't dangerous, he's the only one who seems to know how to overtake. If that makes him dangerous F1 is in a worse state than it appears to be.

Him and Vettel battling today enlivened an otherwise dull race. Or him and Schumaker, him and Kubica.....