He's only a spectacle because he's ------ dangerous.

Button is a far superior driver, as the current WDC table shows.

Not true in my opinion... Lets see where we are at end of the season and I am confident Button will be behind Hamilton...

Button needs the rub of the green... Hamilton has the ability to create his own rub :)

No such thing as the correct call in F1, it is all luck really... Button luck will run out at some point and I don't think he has much left outside of getting lucky with strategy...

Edited by oafc0000

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hamilton isn't dangerous, he's the only one who seems to know how to overtake. If that makes him dangerous F1 is in a worse state than it appears to be.

Him and Vettel battling today enlivened an otherwise dull race. Or him and Schumaker, him and Kubica.....

Erm that was exciting but to try and overtake in the pit bit of the pit lane with people around is dangerous especially considering there was contact. I do like the idea of having a cheeky overtake in the non pit bit of the pit lane, like Hamilton and one of the Ferraris did.

Erm that was exciting but to try and overtake in the pit bit of the pit lane with people around is dangerous especially considering there was contact. I do like the idea of having a cheeky overtake in the non pit bit of the pit lane, like Hamilton and one of the Ferraris did.

Hamilton did no try to overtake... It is impossible to overtake in the pit lane due to the speed restriction...

• 1 month later...
Cracking race today. What was going through Vettel's mind!? While Button and Hamilton show how you should do it.

Indeed. It was in the bag for red Bull up to then - though saying that Vettel was quicker and deserved to have a 'go' at Webber - didn't execute it so well though did he :lol:

I was hoping for some fireworks afterwards from them 2 but sadly it never came :disappointed:

They'll certainly have an interesting de-brief anyway.

Read in the Metro that Webber had been told to save fuel but Vettel hadn't, this would explain why he was able to catch Webber. Interesting if they only told Webber to do so, favouring Vettel???

I thought some of the faces Webber pulled just before the podium ceremony when he was talking to Button were very interesting, plus spoke a 1000 words and were very funny.

Looks like similar shenanigans were happening with McLaren, would love to be a fly on the wall at their team briefing! Suddenly the season has come alive!

Read in the Metro that Webber had been told to save fuel but Vettel hadn't, this would explain why he was able to catch Webber. Interesting if they only told Webber to do so, favouring Vettel???

I thought some of the faces Webber pulled just before the podium ceremony when he was talking to Button were very interesting, plus spoke a 1000 words and were very funny.

Looks like similar shenanigans were happening with McLaren, would love to be a fly on the wall at their team briefing! Suddenly the season has come alive!

Or maybe Webber was running out and Vettel wasn't? Either way it doesn't explain why Vettel decided to drive into the side of Webber's car!?

• 2 weeks later...

I think it has on the whole been dull, the lack of re-fuelling has taken a major variable out of the whole thing leading to more predictable events. I am however looking forward to the next race, the improvements to the McLaren have made things a bit more interesting, plus the Red Bull fallout from Turkey should be quite entertaining.

• 2 weeks later...
???? :blink:

Stand by the dull comment.

How many meaningful overtaking moves have we seen?

The on track racing has been appalling, odd backmarker stuff, 2 proper lead car racing, one ended with a crash from the same team the other nearly did.

The only thing that has made this season watch-able has been rain or tyre degradation. This isn't the peak of motorsport, this is set a date for some cars to go round a track and hope something happens to make it interesting.

Stand by the dull comment.

How many meaningful overtaking moves have we seen?

The on track racing has been appalling, odd backmarker stuff, 2 proper lead car racing, one ended with a crash from the same team the other nearly did.

The only thing that has made this season watch-able has been rain or tyre degradation. This isn't the peak of motorsport, this is set a date for some cars to go round a track and hope something happens to make it interesting.

I think you are watching the wrong sport... Try NASCAR.... Or some other lame american motorsport...

I think you are watching the wrong sport... Try NASCAR.... Or some other lame american motorsport...

You really could have an argument in an empty forum.

Why would I stop watching F1? A sport I have watch for getting on for 20 years? It is duller today than it used to be, most races are decided on the Saturday, drivers outside of the top 4 rows have got no chance of winning.

On the whole it is dull, that is my opinion. You can disagree if you like, it is a free country.

You really could have an argument in an empty forum.

On the whole it is dull, that is my opinion. You can disagree if you like, it is a free country.

So you think its dull... So I suggest you go watch something where the lead changes hand 50 times during a race ... That is hardly starting an argument in an empty room <_<

• 1 month later...

I wonder if Ferrari could just tell me Wednesday's lottery results?

Farce upon farce upon farce.

Alonso is a bg girl. Yes lad, that car in front of you will stay that way until you overtake him. What's that? He's your "team mate" ok then, Felipe-baby, can you just let the senorita pass you?

When I find something difficult at work tomorrow I'm going to put a call in to the boss and ask him to get the problem out of my way, if it is good enough for Fernancyboy Alonso, it is good enough for me.

So when Ferrari is straightforward enough to show the "no team orders" rule for the nonsense it is, and even publicly apologise to Massa for doing so, they are immediately cast, once again, as the demons.

Yet when McLaren and Red Bull flout the very same rule by talking to their drivers about "saving fuel" and the like, everything's fine and dandy?

Classic anti-Ferrari bias from British "fans" who know f*ck all about motorsport.

(If you think it's oh so terrible in F1, have you watched WRC rallying lately?)

So when Ferrari is straightforward enough to show the "no team orders" rule for the nonsense it is, and even publicly apologise to Massa for doing so, they are immediately cast, once again, as the demons.

Yet when McLaren and Red Bull flout the very same rule by talking to their drivers about "saving fuel" and the like, everything's fine and dandy?

Classic anti-Ferrari bias from British "fans" who know f*ck all about motorsport.

(If you think it's oh so terrible in F1, have you watched WRC rallying lately?)

F1 / Motor sport is one of the strangest sports in the world. There are not many that see you fighting it out for a team and for personal glory. You either view both Championships as credible and equally as important or you put one ahead of the other.

The spirit of the rule is clear but I now fear the actual implementation of it is going to catch F1 with its nickers down...

For me, and yes I am British and if 23 years watching the sport (and I consider F1 the main sport I follow) isn't being enough of a fan in your eyes then fine, I see it like this...

A driver has a responsibility to his team. From time to time you have to sacrifice a bit of personal glory for the good of your team. Classic example, Massa moved over for Kimi to win the 2007 title. Massa was not in contention for the World Title and his team mate was. Massa was (and this bit is important) "happy" to move over for Kimi. It was right for the team, and it was right his team mate. Fast forward to today... Why wasn't it right... Massa was still in contention for the Championship, Massa CLEARLY was unhappy, and it was done in a way that showed no respect for the spirit of rule that is in place.

Another example of team sensible and acceptable team orders was Hamilton and Button. Hamilton and Button had been fighting it out and now found themselves with a fast Redbull with the ability of beating them both. So Buttons role was to act in a defensive manner to protect both the McLaren's positions. After the redbull developed issues it was then the right decision for the team and the drivers to bring the cars home. Given the lack of pace of both cars and the fact there was very little points up for grab and both drivers are still leading the championship, its called being sensible.

Deliberately changing the position of drivers via team commands is found distasteful by the VAST majority of racing fans around the world. You only need to look on a number of the F1 forums which have people from all countries posting. 90% are pretty livid about it all. Remember the incident in 2002 happened Austria and the booing was from a Austrian crowd. So your attack on British fans seems a tad silly all things considered.

Ferrari broke the rules and both drivers should be DSQ... Such blatant rule breaking can not be allowed if the sport wants to be credible.

Should the rule be lifted. That depends on if the FIA are actually prepared to impose a real penalty. Fans don't want such blatant team orders, the drivers don't want it, the TV companies don't want it.... If you have it then it devalues the drivers championship imo.

Edited by oafc0000