It's not finished yet imo, further punishment afoot i feel.

When it goes to the FIA the "spirit" of rules will go out of the window. Any ruling will be done purely based on hard evidence and will have to be legally sound. So for my money the FIA will leave everything as it is and will take no further action. Ferrari have said they will not appeal and the FIA can claim Ferrari were punished. The German stewards have given the FIA a get out of jail card really. And that is before mentioning how the FIA usually lean on Ferraris side.

As obvious as it all was, Ferrari never said "move over"... and with Massa and the rest of the team now towing the team line I don't see what the FIA can do...

That said, I always retain hope of a flying pig....

Edited by oafc0000

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some interesting comments 0000's, certainly shows you understand the sport more than most. It's the jingoistic Brits who only gained an interest with Hamilton and simply go with Ferrari are evil, Hamilton can do no wrong that really bug me. I think we should all remember that it is McLaren that have been exposed as the biggest cheats in the sport in recent years, not Ferrari. Of course, that isn't to say Ferrari have always been squeaky clean...

Some interesting comments 0000's, certainly shows you understand the sport more than most. It's the jingoistic Brits who only gained an interest with Hamilton and simply go with Ferrari are evil, Hamilton can do no wrong that really bug me. I think we should all remember that it is McLaren that have been exposed as the biggest cheats in the sport in recent years, not Ferrari. Of course, that isn't to say Ferrari have always been squeaky clean...

Fair enough... There are a lot of people who comment on F1 who either only watch it passively, actually call themselves fans while not understanding it or as you describe...

Very true about McLaren... I think that chapter was something of a one off though and I don't see them doing it again. Ferrari aren't any more big and evil than any other team, although to do this a second time was stupid. They are all ultra competitive... I actually think Christian Horner is one of the biggest c**ts in F1 but that is another story...

I think Hamilton has grown a lot this year... He has had a big transition in his life moving from his Dad's management etc and it all came to ahead in Australia... He suddenly seems a lot more sensible and assured all of a sudden. If McLaren could but a competitive car under him I wouldn't fancy anyone else for the title this year.

Its Alonso who leaves a real nasty taste in my mouth... and it has nothing to do with 2007 and everything to do with this season... Really showed himself up... Which is a shame...

Really enjoying the five way battle and I hope teams keep letting their drivers race....

I shouldn't really complain as I backed Alonso each way, so I ended up £45 better off, BUT.....

...It's wrong, and the integrity of the sport is being compromised with little regard for the fans who make it the success it is (And anyone who backed Massa will be pretty pissed off).

The sport has always been about trying to get half a step ahead of your rivals. Remember the Tyrell/Elf six wheelers? Traction control? KERS? Diffusers? Active suspension? And the title-winning Lotus 72 was absolutely crammed with innovative ideas (Most of which are still present today) like sidepods and torsion bar suspension.

What is happening with team orders is a different story though. Teams are manipulating leaderboard positions off-track rather than through innovation, and that is hugely detrimental to the sport, and tantamount to cheating.

Shuffling track position is no better than the countless other underhanded gains (Cheats) that have occured in the 40 years I have followed the sport.

To name a few;

Benetton 'forgetting' to insert the fuel filter into the rig, allowing faster refuelling.

Senna and Schumacher deliberately colliding with rivals to stop them getting points.

Piquet Jnr deliberately crashing which effectively lead to his team-mate Alonso gaining track position during the race suspension.

Tyrell spraying performance enhancers into the air intakes during the 80s (Martin Brundle's car IIRC).

Niki Lauda's 'Suction fan' creating downforce on his Brabham.

Schumacher 'parking' his car in an obstructive way during Monaco qualifying.

The chief engineer at March who, during final practice, triggered the laptiming sensor with his clipboard a second before his driver Vittorio Brambilla reached it, thus giving him pole position.

There are many more, I'm sure, but none are more blatant than this latest cheating ploy, and it needs to be eradicated very quickly. A mere £63,000 fine will have no effect - what does that equate to? Three sets of tyres?

I very much like Ferrari, but they are becoming more and more untouchable by the FIA, and it's going to ruin the sport.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I think I might give next season a miss and watch slot car racing as there might be a chance of overtaking.

Are Renaults really roadblocks? I can't stand Alonso but I bet he can draw a good picture of the rear end of a Renault today, same as Lewis.

Red Bull had a cracking car last year but were pipped by Brawn who had the best car in the early part of the season as they used the regulations to the full whilst the other big boys played around with KERS.

Brawn/Mercedes concentrated on their championship winning car and didn't put as much in to this season's car hence this year's Mercedes being a dog. Ferrari did a Brawn last year and challenged this year, McLaren were just as steady as they always are and the rest made up the numbers with the odd bit of good driving after a late pit stop for fresh tyres.

Hermann Tilke must shoulder a lot of the blame for his dull negative tracks, Korea seems to be an exception although we might have to rely on wetting the track then not letting them floodlight it to make it interesting again next year. Most tracks could do with some sort of handicap to make them a bit more racey, Turn the lights out for 3 laps in Singapore, flood Monaco and Valencia, live fire in Bahrain....

I think I might give next season a miss and watch slot car racing as there might be a chance of overtaking.

Are Renaults really roadblocks? I can't stand Alonso but I bet he can draw a good picture of the rear end of a Renault today, same as Lewis.

Red Bull had a cracking car last year but were pipped by Brawn who had the best car in the early part of the season as they used the regulations to the full whilst the other big boys played around with KERS.

Brawn/Mercedes concentrated on their championship winning car and didn't put as much in to this season's car hence this year's Mercedes being a dog. Ferrari did a Brawn last year and challenged this year, McLaren were just as steady as they always are and the rest made up the numbers with the odd bit of good driving after a late pit stop for fresh tyres.

Hermann Tilke must shoulder a lot of the blame for his dull negative tracks, Korea seems to be an exception although we might have to rely on wetting the track then not letting them floodlight it to make it interesting again next year. Most tracks could do with some sort of handicap to make them a bit more racey, Turn the lights out for 3 laps in Singapore, flood Monaco and Valencia, live fire in Bahrain....

Can we involve elephants somewhere, I like elephants.

Elephants, badgers, bearded ladies, anything that would stop the processions.

But its been anything but... Granted the last race was crap but this season has been way better than your negative tone has suggested throughout... Said it before and will say it again, you are clearly watching the wrong sport...

Adjustable rear wings should make a huge difference next year...

Just seen this thread for the first time which is a shame. Interesting to read other people's views on this season. For me talk of it being the greatest season ever which I've read elsewhere is off the mark. Yes it's been exciting with the championship lead changing regularly and there being 4 still in with a shout at the final race. But how much of that was down to car failure/collisions/adverse weather?

I may be wrong but looking back I can't remember much actual on track overtaking for position when it came to the lead or the podium even. Or a leading driver coming up through the field after an early problem or bad qualifying.

It was a good season but not a great one. I don't want to see Indy style multiple overtakes but just 1 or 2 genuine ones would be nice.

Whether it's the tracks, cars or drivers attitudes something needs tweaking as the number of quality drivers out there these days is higher than a lot of those glory years people talk about.

They will just become a defensive item like KERS did.

It was a good season but not a great one. I don't want to see Indy style multiple overtakes but just 1 or 2 genuine ones would be nice.

The combination fo KERS and Adjustable Rear Wings is almost certain going to increase the chances of over taking. The question for me is will it just all start being a bit artificial...

Your comment about KERS being used for defence only is a really crap one. The facts are KERS was only ever ran in very uncompetitive cars and Lewis used it in anger on more than a few occasions.

Whether it's the tracks, cars or drivers attitudes something needs tweaking as the number of quality drivers out there these days is higher than a lot of those glory years people talk about.

You know while we have a lot of high quality drivers in the pack I do also think we have a bunch of drivers who are very shy when it comes to overtaking.

Massa, Alonso and Hamilton are the usual contenders for an over take. Webber, Button and Vetell less so.

But overall it is the Circuits... The new circuits are generally a disgrace. They look very nice but they are just badly designed for F1 racing.

Edited by oafc0000

The combination fo KERS and Adjustable Rear Wings is almost certain going to increase the chances of over taking. The question for me is will it just all start being a bit artificial...

I agree with this. The "push to pass" idea is the wrong way to solve it. Cars need to be able to close in on another. They get within a second now and they can't get closer. Less reliance on aerodynamics would probably help but I'm not an engineer so have no suggestions.

Turbos - maybe. If there was no limit on use other than how much fuel it used up that might be less artificial but I'd still prefer the issue to be tackled by introducing more mechanical and less aerodynamical grip.

• 4 months later...

Now that was a race!

I'm not convinced by this rear wing business yet but to be fair the FIA do say it is a work in progress and it is still early doors.

There is an element of artificial items playing a significant part this season be it KERS, DRS or self-destructing tyres. On the one hand, in the past the overall car package wasn't fully reliable and it was a fairly regular sight to see the leader having to retire for one reason or another, but as the years have gone on reliability has become standard. I suppose the flaky tyres are just re-introducing this as a variable?

Definitely more overtaking this year which has to be a good thing, not all of it has been due to gimmickry either, the midfield are quite evenly matched and the drivers seem to be more willing to have a go.

Hopefully the 3 week break now will see all teams take steps forward. The 2 stoppers today showed that it may yet be possible to stretch the tyres out and with a bit more work even the collapsing tyres might be less of an issue.

Overall, I've enjoyed the start to the season and am looking forward to the rest of it.

• 3 months later...