Post Game Thread: Gillingham

Enjoyed the game this afternoon. Both sides were as bad as eachother in the first half, second half we came out like a completely different team...ran at their defence and Gillingham looked stunned. A few chances and last ditch tackles and you felt a goal was coming (well as much as you ever can with this Latics team)...lovely move to put Guy in. Then it's back to the same old same old...a better side could have scored and would certainly have made chances to do so. Brill did everything that was asked of him well and in hindsight it was much more comfortable than it was at the time. Why we couldn't keep up the tempo from the first fifteen mins of the second half is beyond me.

Taylor I thought was good, Whits made a big difference in that opening third of the second half. Abbott did well too, though play to the whistle Pav, don't appeal and then get in a huff when the ball rolls away from you and out for a GK! In fact to a man, I thought we were good to OK, noone had a shocker.

And why people were booing us playing possession football at the end I have no idea. We played the last two minutes of stoppage time perfectly. We're in a relegation scrap and one up against a side we were level on points with...there's no need to chance losing possession when we can kill off time in the corner.

Overall, we weren't great...though for a bit of it we were pretty good. The most inspiring thing about today is that it was further evidence that there are sides just as bad or even worse than us :lol:

Oh, and it was my little sister's first game...and she loved it. Three points and another Latic...an all round good day.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i enjoyed todays game the players looked up fer it just wish that they would go for that blinking killer second goal insted of sitting deep..heyho a wins a win looks like i'm avin a partey taneet

I thought in the first half the players looked far from up for it and needed a kick up the backside....they seemed to lack belief to me.

I thought in the first half the players looked far from up for it and needed a kick up the backside....they seemed to lack belief to me.

looked like they got a rollicking at arf time...and dave took his hands out of his pockets twice in the second half,is that a record

scraping a result against a :censored: team doesnt change much in terms of the way we are performing, still worries where we are going to pick up points to survive. 3 points is more than welcome..... where we will get our next i dont know.

scraping a result against a :censored: team doesnt change much in terms of the way we are performing, still worries where we are going to pick up points to survive. 3 points is more than welcome..... where we will get our next i dont know.

Agreed and I just hate the fact that we are not playing on Monday like the rest of the league...we could be back in the drop zone by Tuesday, which doesn't exactly help with the psychological pressure side of things.

2 poor sides who were seperated by a great pass and finnish. Not often said this season.

1st half was dreadful 2nd half was an improvement and most importantly 3 points. not much else to be said really.

Flahavan was not ill either. He drove away from the away directors car park at 2.45 after a meeting with Penney. Face like thunder aswell.

thats what i said to my lad on the way home...good 3 points,but i cant see where the next will come from,its still going to go to the wire i think,were not safe by a long way yet

2 poor sides who were seperated by a great pass and finnish. Not often said this season.

1st half was dreadful 2nd half was an improvement and most importantly 3 points. not much else to be said really.

Flahavan was not ill either. He drove away from the away directors car park at 2.45 after a meeting with Penney. Face like thunder aswell.

His face might have looked like that because he was unwell.

I don't think he can be blamed for our recent defeats.

Tense game today, both teams played like dogs fighting over a bicycle, neither knows why they want it or what to do with it if they get it.

Brill pulled of a couple of saves, good to see the lad bounce back.

Glad Black played, a few crap balls but he has a left foot which isn't a bad starting point for a left full back. I hope he keeps his place.

Gregan - do I need to say anything?

Rubes was back to the Rubes we know and love.

Lee played well

Millar, not as bright as Tuesday but linked up well with Lee, a good performance.

<space purposely left blank>

Stephens was quiet, did what he needed to do and set our goal up.

Taylor, the boy looks wrong, something is the matter, injury, booze, flu or whatever but this is not Chris Taylor

Abbott good to see him put a shift in. Also good to see him telling their bloke to pick on someone their own size after Millar had flattened them.

Guy was lively and got the goal.

Whitaker, but than Worthington, nearly got one himself.

Eaves, would like to see him given a chance but maybe now isn't the right time, does ok when he comes on but does need a goal.

3 points in the bag, did what we had to do, confidence looks shot but hopefully today goes some way to getting some back. The crowd was small but got behind the lads, a few boos at half-time, perhaps Ferney kicks out early these days?

Couldn't agree more.................although IMO Lee played better than 'well'......has been putting in some great shifts recently!!

His face might have looked like that because he was unwell.

I don't think he can be blamed for our recent defeats.

No he was not ill. he stormed out of the managers office. he was clearly pissed off as he was driving away with his wife and kids in the back. If your ill you would not go to the game at all, never mind leaving before kickoff.

No he was not ill. he stormed out of the managers office. he was clearly pissed off as he was driving away with his wife and kids in the back. If your ill you would not go to the game at all, never mind leaving before kickoff.

Penney never learns............

Hang on Ric - you're assuming that what Nava says is true... nothing against you Nava, but it's a big leap from "I saw Flahavan leaving" to saying "Penney never learns" !!

Add to that the fact that you have no idea why, if there was a meeting, he's done it...

Hang on Ric - you're assuming that what Nava says is true... nothing against you Nava, but it's a big leap from "I saw Flahavan leaving" to saying "Penney never learns" !!

Add to that the fact that you have no idea why, if there was a meeting, he's done it...

No assuming my good Ackey, Back stage pass..... :wink:

I have never said that Penney was wrong to drop him. There may well be a perfectly good reason as to why he was dropped. All im doing is clearing up as to why he was not in the squad. as it says on the os he was ill. well so was Gregan but he played.

Spill then - why was Flahavan dropped?

Don't know Ackey. But i know full well he was annoyed. If your too ill to play you don't get to the game at what ever time the players turn up, have a meeting in the managers office and then leave at 2.45. you either don't turn up at all so not to pass the infection on or you stay and watch the match.

Meh, Brill was superb after his return barring letting Betsy's shot squirm under him and was faultless today. Whatever's gone on, barring injury, we shouldn't be needing to call on Flahavan between now and the end of the season.

Don't know Ackey. But i know full well he was annoyed. If your too ill to play you don't get to the game at what ever time the players turn up, have a meeting in the managers office and then leave at 2.45. you either don't turn up at all so not to pass the infection on or you stay and watch the match.

Maybe Penney thought that Brill showed up better in training this week.

Players should be professional and take these things on the chin. For all of Brill's fragility in some departments, he never shirks his responsibility and did well today.

Maybe Penney thought that Brill showed up better in training this week.

Players should be professional and take these things on the chin. For all of Brill's fragility in some departments, he never shirks his responsibility and did well today.

brill didnt deserve to get dropped,yes he made a mistake.but showed today how far he has improved...

incidentally..how many have we conceded with brill and how many conceded with flahavan???

also couldnt hear the pa in the rre very well today,was the last sub on :censored:???