whatever your take on Afghanistan...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in the context of the situation, yes, and certainly...and this is my main gripe, not worthy of this soldier being dismissed from the army he has served with distinction for 18 years and losing his pension.

I'm am not saying that the other incidents I have raised are "ok"..it was my attempt to show the huge difference between how this soldier has been treated and how other domestic issues have been dealt with.

It seems I need to improve on my repartee and use of latin and foreign phrases to emphasise my point more clearly :huh:

I don't agree with you on any other point but the fact he is loosing his pension is a bit weird to me. I understand why its been done but prior to this one incident he's had a good record (its my understanding that if you are no good the armed services tend to get rid of you before doing 18 years) and he's paid his money in just like every other person would do. The reason I don't understand why its being done is that in the NHS its very rare that people loose their pension (which considering its a state pension might well come from the same pot), so you can do far worse than what this bloke did and keep your pension when you get struck of whatever register (nursing, medical, other) you are on. Maybe the armed services has it right and if you get fired for misconduct you should loose your pension but they don't take away criminals money they made before the criminal activity(ies) they did.

I don't agree with you on any other point but the fact he is loosing his pension is a bit weird to me. I understand why its been done but prior to this one incident he's had a good record (its my understanding that if you are no good the armed services tend to get rid of you before doing 18 years) and he's paid his money in just like every other person would do. The reason I don't understand why its being done is that in the NHS its very rare that people loose their pension (which considering its a state pension might well come from the same pot), so you can do far worse than what this bloke did and keep your pension when you get struck of whatever register (nursing, medical, other) you are on. Maybe the armed services has it right and if you get fired for misconduct you should loose your pension but they don't take away criminals money they made before the criminal activity(ies) they did.

I might be wrong but I think he will lose the Armys contribution to his pension and not his own contributions which will either be refunded or left in the policy.

I might be wrong but I think he will lose the Armys contribution to his pension and not his own contributions which will either be refunded or left in the policy.

you are wrong

Edited by downender2

There isn't a pot that central government pensions come from, they are paid for from current taxation - which incidentally is part of the reason why we are much deeper in debt than reported as these are (totally impoperly) not accounted for. I'm not sure of how the law stands if you are sacked from a private sector job, I would be surpried if you can have your pension rights taken away, but then I guess the rules are their when you sign up to the forces.

I know this guy shouldn't have give that bloke a kicking, indeed, if i would have caught that fella laying a mine or whatever, he wouldn't have made it to the cell in the first place. :ranting:

You don't have to wish the bloke well in his objectives to recognise that he has rights. Not some sort of wooly European Court rights, he was a soldier in a war. He was doing what he was meant to do, using the equipment he had available to kill the enemy. It so happens that the enemy on this occasion were British troops, this doesn't suspend the rules of war. After all, you aren't meant to like the people you are fighting. Killing him when he was in the course of planting the mine is perfectly OK, beating him up after captured and defenceless is frankly pretty unworthy of a professional soldier with the standards of his unit to uphold.

There isn't a pot that central government pensions come from, they are paid for from current taxation - which incidentally is part of the reason why we are much deeper in debt than reported as these are (totally impoperly) not accounted for.

And not a political party with a policy for dealing with it.

I'm not sure of how the law stands if you are sacked from a private sector job, I would be surpried if you can have your pension rights taken away, but then I guess the rules are their when you sign up to the forces.

Part of the discipliniary process of my company allows for withdrawal of pension rights. In practice this is only ever used in cases where fraud has taken place. It wouldn't happen if, for example, a member of staff was dismissed for punching a customer.

• 3 weeks later...

Whether you like it or not the Royal Marine went against The Geneva Convention, something which he would been fully aware of as it is part of your training as a recruit, he would also, along with the rest of his battalion had another training session from his company commander before deploying, he lost his head and that is all there is to it.

Edited by tangerinedreams

Whether you like it or not the Royal Marine went against The Geneva Convention, something which he would been fully aware of as it is part of your training as a recruit, he would also, along with the rest of his battalion had another training session from his company commander before deploying, he lost his head and that is all there is to it.

Duly noted that it was the Navy and not the Army that was to blame :wink:

What would Jack do?

He'd apply some pressure just behind the ears with his thumb and index finger, work out how long it would take a 10 ton truck to travel from Utah to New York and back based on an average speed of 50mph, and then jam his folding toothbrush into the guy's left eye. (At the precise angle necessary to prevent him from being blinded, but still leave him with a frontal lobotomy.)