whatever your take on Afghanistan...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't you just love how they feel the need to build in a slightly xenophobic "political correctness gone maaaad" undertone to distract from the actual point? And I see the Daily Mail are all over it like a rash.

Doesn't quite tell the full story, does it? I sympathise with the guy in terms of his having buried friends but, call me a cynic, I suspect the two fellers were left alone with the prisoner for the purpose of giving him a kicking. Now, I have no real sympathy with the prisoner but this guy's an experienced and senior officer and knew full well what the potential consequences were.

Don't you just love how they feel the need to build in a slightly xenophobic "political correctness gone maaaad" undertone to distract from the actual point? And I see the Daily Mail are all over it like a rash.

Doesn't quite tell the full story, does it? I sympathise with the guy in terms of his having buried friends but, call me a cynic, I suspect the two fellers were left alone with the prisoner for the purpose of giving him a kicking. Now, I have no real sympathy with the prisoner but this guy's an experienced and senior officer and knew full well what the potential consequences were.

+1

A military policewoman guarding him had to leave the tent for a short time, putting two Royal Marines in charge. But she ran back after hearing a disturbance and found two other men assaulting Ekhlas with a Wellington boot, the court was told. They then fled the scene.

Ekhlas's injuries were again photographed and were found to be more severe than those seen previously, said Col Clapham. He needed four stitches to his lip, had a cut on his forehead and two of his teeth were loose.

Lance Corporal Robert Fegan, a Royal Military Policeman with the Royal Marines, had been tasked with taking the prisoner to Jackson, and told the court he saw Ekhlas both before and after the incident.

Giving evidence yesterday, he said of the injuries as they appeared later: "They were a lot more severe than when I had handed him over. He was streaming with blood.

"There was a lot of swelling on the left-hand side of his face."

He added that blood was around Ekhlas's torso and face but saw no blood on his clothing.

Hardly acceptable behaviour...

British soldiers aren't meant to beat up injured captured prisoners, as the MP clearly knew. God knows that all sorts of situations might happen and be needed when actually in conflict, but if we are going to claim to be on the right side then this sort of thing really isn't going to help. I note with admiration, by the way, that they appear to link the (totally offensive and absurb) police ruling on Islamic shoe-throwing with a completely unconnected incident where a boot happened to be the weapon of choice. Sorry, but even if there were some special grounds for doing it, they were plian silly IMO.

British soldiers aren't meant to beat up injured captured prisoners, as the MP clearly knew. God knows that all sorts of situations might happen and be needed when actually in conflict, but if we are going to claim to be on the right side then this sort of thing really isn't going to help.

I probably spent a good chunk of my life believing that we were the "good guys" and had some sort of moral high ground in conflicts.

But the second we found ourselves allied to the nation that set up Guantanamo Bay was the point in time when I realised that there are significantly more shades of grey than I had ever realised.

Edited by opinions4u

Care to expand on that?

we are at war, 280+ young men and women already dead, many more disabled for life...and still folk pontificate about being "right" and "wrong"

compare the treatment of this soldier with that of the elected members of parliament caught out fiddling their expenses..

absolutely sickening... :ranting:

expanded

we are at war, 280+ young men and women already dead, many more disabled for life...and still folk pontificate about being "right" and "wrong"

Well I'm certainly not prepared to accept that my Government is always right and should never be challenged.

How sickening that 280 of our young men and women are dead. If this is because we are in the wrong war for the wrong reasons, then surely that needs challenging.

compare the treatment of this soldier with that of the elected members of parliament caught out fiddling their expenses..

I think the case for locking up thieves is fairly strong. The fact only 4 politicans are being prosecuted is a disgrace. I think that should be challenged.

What you have failed to do is expand on your "some folk on here" comment. So I'm not quite sure where you're coming from and your latest post doesn't really clarify things for me.

Not to worry.

Edited by opinions4u

absolutely sickening... :ranting:

expanded

How many of those men and women have been brought back to life or healed by a couple of blokes torturing a wounded soldier? I find it a bit sickening that you sem to equate people expressing concern at our troops breaking the Geneva Convention with a lack of concern for the casualities we are suffering over there.

Well I'm certainly not prepared to accept that my Government is always right and should never be challenged.

How sickening that 280 of our young men and women are dead. If this is because we are in the wrong war for the wrong reasons, then surely that needs challenging.

I think the case for locking up thieves is fairly strong. The fact only 4 politicans are being prosecuted is a disgrace. I think that should be challenged.

What you have failed to do is expand on your "some folk on here" comment. So I'm not quite sure where you're coming from and your latest post doesn't really clarify things for me.

Not to worry.

I'm not going to

How many of those men and women have been brought back to life or healed by a couple of blokes torturing a wounded soldier? I find it a bit sickening that you sem to equate people expressing concern at our troops breaking the Geneva Convention with a lack of concern for the casualities we are suffering over there.

How many of those men and women have been brought back to life or healed by a couple of blokes torturing a wounded soldier?

none, but what the :censored: has that got to do with it....

and torturing a wounded soldier...FFS

Geneva Convention .... :pokeuu:

How many of those men and women have been brought back to life or healed by a couple of blokes torturing a wounded soldier?

none, but what the :censored: has that got to do with it....

and torturing a wounded soldier...FFS

Geneva Convention .... :pokeuu:

Did you read anything more about it? The bloke had been treated for the injuries he sustained in the course of the troops capturing him (no problems with that) and photos were taken of him at that stage. One of the British guys pleaded guilty to ABH. The thing on Facebook makes it look like they waved a boot at him whilst he was planting a bomb (which of course he is allowed to do as a soldier in a war), in fact they went into a tent and beat the :censored: out of him whilst he was under Miltary Police guard. Who's to say how it would have ended if the MP hadn't done her duty and intervened?

Edited by Lookers_Carl

Did you read anything more about it? The bloke had been treated for the injuries he sustained in the course of the troops capturing him (no problems with that) and photos were taken of him at that stage. One of the British guys pleaded guilty to ABH. The thing on Facebook makes it look like they waved a boot at him whilst he was planting a bomb (which of course he is allowed to do as a soldier in a war), in fact they went into a tent and beat the :censored: out of him whilst he was under Miltary Police guard. Who's to say how it would have ended if the MP hadn't done her duty and intervened?

You beat me to it. I dare not look at the Daily Mail links on that page.

BBC report the incident and the trial in full, seems unbiased.

pathetic...just about sums things up

so its ok for politicians to take the piss with expenses and carry on regardless?

so its ok for Old Bill to knock :censored: out of a defenceless women exercising her rights to demonstrate and for the copper to carry on regardless?

so its ok for all the fat cat bankers to rob the people blind and carry on regardless?

but a serving soldier in a war zone, loses his rag for 5 minutes and gives an "enemy soldier" a few extra digs..and he.....after 18 years commended service..loses his job and his pension...??

you just carry on sitting comfortably

A panel of senior officers tried him under due process with the right to legal representation, who am I to say they were wrong?

Well there is this Blackadder Linky to consider.

(apologies for bringing comedy in to a serious subject, but the OP's refusal to debate or state a case irritated me).

so its ok for politicians to take the piss with expenses and carry on regardless?

No. They should all be hanged by the testicles until dead.

so its ok for Old Bill to knock :censored: out of a defenceless women exercising her rights to demonstrate and for the copper to carry on regardless?

I don't recall the case. So can't comment on the facts.

so its ok for all the fat cat bankers to rob the people blind and carry on regardless?

Not at all. But did they rob people blind or merely mess up their businesses?

but a serving soldier in a war zone, loses his rag for 5 minutes and gives an "enemy soldier" a few extra digs..and he.....after 18 years commended service..loses his job and his pension...??

Put it this way, just because justice hasn't been served for wrongdoings elsewhere doesn't mean he should get an easy ride.

Edited by opinions4u

pathetic...just about sums things up

you just carry on sitting comfortably

This is exactly why, come the revolution, stupid people (and Daily Mail readers ... just to mop up any who aren't both) will be removed from the electoral register.

:cheguevara smiley: