Smalley's Injury

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...2031412,00.html

In Deaneo's early games when he first came back from injury; there was a fair bit of clamour on here & at the games to the tune of Smalley not putting the effort in / looking disinterested etc.

Now this has come out; I wonder what peoples opinions are now? It was obvious IMO that he was rushed back and he was even ½ fit at that stage, but the sheer fact that the injury could have been a career ender must have been playing on his mind every time he jumped for the ball or had to go for a challenge. Mentally it must have been really tough for him.

Now it appears he has a tailored fitness programme to counter the problem; and now he is fully fit – is it any coincidence that we are starting to see a big improvement in performances from DS??

For me, Smalley is another who; with a summer break & injury free pre-season – will hopefully be able to hit the ground running from the start of next season.

If he can get a full season under his belt next year and Taylor can resolve his issues then we could have a relatively decent season. I was looking at the Donny forum a few days ago to see what they were saying about Guy (seems like it could be another COG...some want him back and some think he's found his level), but there was talk of hope for a swap for Tayls, who they thought was odd for having a bad season as DP loves to use his wingers. We haven't seen much of it this year but with Taylor and Deano's problems hopefully overcome come August, maybe we will see what DP is really like in terms of style (though there have been hints recently).

Anyway, as I've said before...remember JR's comment at the end of last season that Deano was an 'enigma' that the next manager would have to solve. If he can solve it then the team will be much better for it.

In Deaneo's early games when he first came back from injury; there was a fair bit of clamour on here & at the games to the tune of Smalley not putting the effort in / looking disinterested etc.

Now this has come out; I wonder what peoples opinions are now? It was obvious IMO that he was rushed back and he was even ½ fit at that stage, but the sheer fact that the injury could have been a career ender must have been playing on his mind every time he jumped for the ball or had to go for a challenge. Mentally it must have been really tough for him.

Now it appears he has a tailored fitness programme to counter the problem; and now he is fully fit – is it any coincidence that we are starting to see a big improvement in performances from DS??

For me, Smalley is another who; with a summer break & injury free pre-season – will hopefully be able to hit the ground running from the start of next season.

I for one thought his performances were below par earlier this season but how are we to know this info at the time. Its just a joke that Penny etc decided it was a good idea to play the lad when we had Parker/colbeck/Miller/Furman/Whitts and Lee that can all play in his position.

Fair play to him though as his recent performances have been much better, he just needs to develop some consistancy and improve on his decision making now.

I for one thought his performances were below par earlier this season but how are we to know this info at the time. Its just a joke that Penny etc decided it was a good idea to play the lad when we had Parker/colbeck/Miller/Furman/Whitts and Lee that can all play in his position.

When you list the alternativeslike that, it does rather support the manager's decision to play Smalley.

So what was the excuse for poor performances year on year? The fact is that Smalley has always been "promising" and has yet to deliver with any kind of regularity, and that pre-dates and probably will post-date any injury that can be trotted out.

He's playing better at the moment so let everyone give him his dues, but stop deluding yourself that his shoddy performances were all a dream because you will only be disappointed and come down on him the harder in future...

and in case you missed this bit in the article:

" I need to be doing little exercises every day to work on the core muscles and avoid things like heavy weights"

- so if you score on Saturday Deano make sure that Greegs does not leap on board for the celebratory donkey ride... :grin:

Edited by TheBigDog

So what was the excuse for poor performances year on year? The fact is that Smalley has always been "promising" and has yet to deliver with any kind of regularity, and that pre-dates and probably will post-date any injury that can be trotted out.

He's playing better at the moment so let everyone give him his dues, but stop deluding yourself that his shoddy performances were all a dream because you will only be disappointed and come down on him the harder in future...

I haven't come down on him in the past; nor can I see myslef doing it in the future. I happen to think that; when fit; Deano is a pretty good L1 player who I would want in side.........

But hey; its all opinions at the end of the day; one's man superstar is another's duck-egg.......

and in case you missed this bit in the article:

" I need to be doing little exercises every day to work on the core muscles and avoid things like heavy weights"

- so if you score on Saturday Deano make sure that Greegs does not leap on board for the celebratory donkey ride... :grin:

Yeah, I can't help wondering if his injury can be traced back to his goal against Hartlepool last season, when Gregan jumped on him with some force and he looked like he was struggling to breathe when he eventually got back up.....