The Big Debates: Atheism or Islam

Matt

islam_atheism.png

http://www.thebigdebates.com/debates.html

The president of American Atheists, Dr. Ed Buckner, the leading American atheist and secular activist will come to the UK in June to challenge Islam and religious thought. The debate series, organised by the independent platform The Big Debates, will discuss: Atheism or Islam? You decide. On the 19th June 2010, 6:15pm at Friends House, Euston Road, London.

Other debates:

Is a Secular Society a Better Society? - On the 21st June 2010, 6:15pm at Friends House, Euston Road, London.

A Tale of Two Histories: What Now for the Future? On the 22nd June 2010, 6:15pm at Birmingham University.

Sound interesting, pity it's at the wrong end of the country for me.

Sounds very interesting. Although I'd question the need to choose a specific religion to target.

TAM London II is coming up too, again at the wrong end of the country.

My financial situation means I'll not be able to attend either, but hopefully TAM will be broadcast online again.

Sounds very interesting. Although I'd question the need to choose a specific religion to target.

TAM London II is coming up too, again at the wrong end of the country.

My financial situation means I'll not be able to attend either, but hopefully TAM will be broadcast online again.

I've had a brief glance at the other full debates which have been uploaded to youtube, and there is a heavy Islamic slant to it all.

Some of the comments below the film are hilarious.

Richard Dawkins needs to be a part of this, if he isn't already.

I'm currently pondering the theocratical rationale behind a black headscarf (showing the face but covering all the hair, neck etc) worn in company with tight jeans, a tight top and f-me shoes. I'm trying not to ponder it too obviously, but I am pondering it.

I don't know for sure (that doesn't seem to matter in debates in which the currency is conjecture and mere feeling) but I reckon human beings built objects of worship before they built shelter.

Raging against religion is futile and stupid - at least as stupid as Dawkins accuses religious people of being.

I think the whole audience will be made up of converted people though... There won't be any fence sitters...

It becomes a futile debate :) Like many we have on here :wink:

Looking back at the previous debates there looks like an equal presence in the audience. However, one cannot deduce if there will be "fence sitters" or not, plus I'm not really sure if there are that many in the debates who categorise themselves as being on the fence. I would wager that those who go to these meetings would have made their mind up one way or another.