Queens Arms

the pubs themselves. some of the ppl who frequented them. IMO

I was a regular at the Brook and Royal, and pretty much a fixture at the Queens, and I don't ever remember thinking I didn't like the people in there.

They were proper pubs with genuine friendly regulars, which continued to thrive despite being located within a largely non-drinking Asian community, until the Royal closed - that's when a good triangle of pubs became two businesses fighting for the same custom. Once the Brook shut it left a boozer in the middle of nowhere on its own, which was never going to survive very long.

The number of pubs together was always the main appeal of the area, as you could swap from one to another within a minutes walk, but when one pub is left standing in a non-drinking community it ain't going to work.

The great times are just memories now - rather like watching Latics.

When / if latics move how long before these close !

The WH and OGM do alright when Latics aren't playing.

It'll certainly reduce their profits a bit but won't see them in any trouble I would hope.

Besides, do they make more from tics actually going to the match or Sky Reds?

Wasn't like that 10-15 years ago (and, I'm sure, beyond that).

The Brook and The Queens in particular were absolutely bouncing every single weekend at the end of the 90s.

Indeed they were - Anytime from a Wednesday onwards, entertainment every night almost. My mate used to be in the Wednesday 'Trevor Paige' fan club :biker::blush:

Up and down the land people find any number of excuses for why pubs are closing than that there weren't enough people wanting to go in them and spend money for what they get in return.

Agreed. Pisses me off when people blame the smoking ban and price of ale.

Fact is, people are changing and doing different things with their leisure time - whether that's going round to your mates and drinking cheap cider, or going out with your bird and eating nasty chinese food and drinking overpriced wine.

:lol:

My dissertation had a whole chapter on why boozers are shutting down. You can both have a read of it if you want? :wink:

Indeed they were - Anytime from a Wednesday onwards, entertainment every night almost. My mate used to be in the Wednesday 'TrevorCole Paige' fan club :biker::blush:

Edited. (Cos he doesn't like being called Trevor anymore :lol::queerim9: )

His Play your cards right was fabulous. Every person drawn out to play was asked the same opening question regardless of age or gender; "Do you masturbate?"

his other catchphrases included "You get :censored: all for a pair....Not in this pub!"

Rarely left before 3am after a wednesday night. Great times.

£1.60 for a pint of smooth as well. Plastered on £20.

Trev used to give me a lift home as well. Nothing like that, honest :unsure:

lol! I used to work with Pagey in his day job, before he became such a famous megastar that he had to change his name :wink: , and he was a right 'lad'. Probably still is to be fair.

Still can't believe he changed his name to Cole though, in view of the fact his little lad is called Mason. I mean, Cole & Mason. You couldn't make it up could you?! :lol:

I know this doesn't belong in this section but wanted as many as possible to see as I'm hoping someone can help.

I'm after a decent picture of the Queens Arms and can't seem to find one when searching. Any ideas?

Cheers in advance

ive got one but dont know how to load it on here, any advice and ill put it on.

im around the corner, from the welly to lads" when we setting up, a latics supporters club there! and kicking the armchair few reds out! :wink: keep the faith...

its an O.A.F.C pub and always will be, not like the Royton pubs where they cant shift the reds . . . :shock: