It gets worse for Greegs

Straight from the Horses mouth this afternoon, 'I'm all there, just trying to catch them up for fitness but they have 15 years on me ha ha'.

Seriously he's working very hard and I have no doubt he will be back. Fitness guy is a good 'un, he'll make sure El Capitano will return.

I spoke to him this morning- he doesn't seem to be carrying too much excess weight tbh. And he does just swagger everywhere! :grin:

The point being missed by some (as usual) is that having viewed how Abbott was moved on to free up a larger wage...now that we've got Hazell, JJ and Mvoto (Matty D Carr if needed), it might be in Dickov's mind that fit or not, moving Gregan on would free up a wage for maybe two loan players in January etc. I'm sure that if Hazell and JJ kept their partnership intact and Gregan was fully fit but not being selected, he'd be considering the best thing to do for himself and for Latics (as I do think we're genuinely a part of him now and would want the best for us) as we head towards January. Personally, I don't think the pace and style of Dickov's team are going to do him any favours. I'd be happy to be proved wrong by him though...as I was last season. Very very happy to be wrong or we'd be in League Two now.

Edited by boundaryblue80

The point being missed by some (as usual) is that having viewed how Abbott was moved on to free up a larger wage...now that we've got Hazell, JJ and Mvoto (Matty D Carr if needed), it might be in Dickov's mind that fit or not, moving Gregan on would free up a wage for maybe two loan players in January etc. I'm sure that if Hazell and JJ kept their partnership intact and Gregan was fully fit but not being selected, he'd be considering the best thing to do for himself and for Latics (as I do think we're genuinely a part of him now and would want the best for us) as we head towards January. Personally, I don't think the pace and style of Dickov's team are going to do him any favours. I'd be happy to be proved wrong by him though...as I was last season. Very very happy to be wrong or we'd be in League Two now.

Can't fault your logic, nor do I want to.

However Greegs has been in the "on a free" position before and didn't get picked up by anyone. Until Penney brought him back on reduced terms (and that is Penney's best signing) that is. Yes he may acknowledge the needs of the club but he does have himself to think about too.

Anyway, in a couple of months it wouldn't be a surprise to see injuries or suspensions take a toll and we'll be delighted to have four centre backs on the books. That strong spine in a team is vital.

Can't fault your logic, nor do I want to.

However Greegs has been in the "on a free" position before and didn't get picked up by anyone. Until Penney brought him back on reduced terms (and that is Penney's best signing) that is. Yes he may acknowledge the needs of the club but he does have himself to think about too.

Anyway, in a couple of months it wouldn't be a surprise to see injuries or suspensions take a toll and we'll be delighted to have four centre backs on the books. That strong spine in a team is vital.

Good thread this with some interesting points being raised.

What a difference from last season when the cold hard reality was that due to his inability to bring anyone in; Penney had to choose from just 2 centre halves. Regardless of form; Reuben & Sean knew they were going to start as there simply wasn’t anyone else. We had to put :censored: and Jacobsen there in a few games as stop-gaps to plug a major hole.

This season we have Reuben, Jarrett, M’Voto and Gregan (once he hopefully gets over his injury & regains his fitness) plus 2 decent young prospects in Rod MacDonald & Matty D Carr too. Compared to last season; it’s a veritable embarrassment of riches at Centre Back.

Fingers crossed that big Sean gets his fitness levels up to speed and get’s back to challenging for a starting place. He will have to fight like hell to break in though IMO; even after last year’s heroic efforts; he will be in no way guaranteed an automatic place. Healthy competition; what a nice change!

As that Guardian article says, come December, some Tuesday night game with the cold and the rain and the niggly strikers, we would do far worse than have a quarter pace Gregan at the back for the strikers to bounce off with the full backs doing his running.

We are only playing 3rd division strikers and if Greegs puts a reducer on them early doors it may keep them quiet.

I wonder if I could have got any more Ronglish in there if I tried?

Greegs kept us up last season and we all owe him for that. He's the most respected player at the club.

He may still have a part to play this season, when injuries and suspensions take their toll, but I can't see him being first choice the way the current lads are playing.

Would he be content as a squad player?

Tough call for PD and SG

A lot of conclusions are already being drawn here just a few games into the season. It has been agreed that Greegs was by far and away our best player last season and not a great deal of time has elapsed between the last match he played and where we are now. Unfortunately he has suffered a set back for the coming season.

Granted it will be tougher for Greegs to recapture his fitness than ever before although he has been written off before and proved many doubters wrong. The season has a long way to go and no doubt the influence around the dressing room whether playing or not will be priceless. Currently the 2 lads at the back are doing eceptionally well and we have Mvoto who will step in on Saturday who looks to be a prospect however I doubt that we will be quite so lucky with the constant appearances from our back 2 this season, JJ has already received a ban afterall. Greegs will play again this season but it is only natural at this stage of his career for the younger players to be pushing for spots.

He will be back I've no doubt about that!