Fingers Crossed for this Family !

Phil, I have not the first clue on your beliefs, I have no idea of your history on this sunbect. It was not obviosu to me. Iwill ahe missed those threads.

It is such shame this thread has been hijacked twice over for religious beliefs and also total blame of the mother.

Very disappointing.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you on this. The idea of pulling a buggy/pram across the road sounds pretty bloody far from the safest approach to me. In doing so, you'd either be dragging it behind you (i.e. not looking at it) or walking backwards (not the most sensible thing to do on a road, with a buggy).

It seems from previous comments that the "pull" approach is advised for when crossing between parked cars - I'm sure the Green Cross Man always told me not to do that anyway.

Best option with kids is always to walk the extra 50 yds to a pedestrian crossing, or safer place to cross - If the grown up doesn't do it, the kids never will. Nevertheless all parents make mistakes, as do all people, heaping blame on a mistake based on little knowledge of the individual is simply a sign of over-judgemental thinking. Some would call it spiteful and nasty (using a similar approach).

Phil, I have not the first clue on your beliefs, I have no idea of your history on this sunbect. It was not obviosu to me. Iwill ahe missed those threads.

It is such shame this thread has been hijacked twice over for religious beliefs and also total blame of the mother.

Very disappointing.

Blaming the mother is hardly a hijack of the thread, it's completely on topic. It happens to be how I feel about the subject and I find it worthy of discussion. Other people have also said their own piece on trying to explain what has happened and how.

Afterall, there's only so much that can be said along the lines of "I hope the boy gets better" or "I hope the truck driver isn't too distraught". Both worthy sentiments, but in of themselves they're not sustainable fuel for a forum discussion.

It seems from previous comments that the "pull" approach is advised for when crossing between parked cars - I'm sure the Green Cross Man always told me not to do that anyway.

Which previous comment ?

It seems only medic thinks this was a good idea based on wrongly consumed information in the high way code...and he also admitted he had no experience to draw upon himself...

Crossing between parked cars is silly... Its probably suicidal with a pram! Walking out backwards or dragging the pram is just plain dumb IMO

I totally agree with you when you say find some traffic lights to cross at where possible...

Which previous comment ?

It seems only medic thinks this was a good idea based on wrongly consumed information in the high way code...and he also admitted he had no experience to draw upon himself...

Crossing between parked cars is silly... Its probably suicidal with a pram! Walking out backwards or dragging the pram is just plain dumb IMO

I totally agree with you when you say find some traffic lights to cross at where possible...

Prob medic's comments I was drawing on then - the idea struck me as a bit like saying "if you're gonna put a gun to your own head, check it's not loaded first".

Maybe the mum's to blame, maybe not - maybe she was just plain careless, maybe she had a million worries going through her head. Regardless of which is the case, the "not fit to have kids" attitude is normally raised for abusive junkies, people who go on holiday/drink binges for days leaving kids with a pack of cereal, people who allow scum partners to abuse their kids etc. Not for people who may have simply made a huge mistake, for which they might never forgive themselves.

Prob medic's comments I was drawing on then - the idea struck me as a bit like saying "if you're gonna put a gun to your own head, check it's not loaded first".

Maybe the mum's to blame, maybe not - maybe she was just plain careless, maybe she had a million worries going through her head. Regardless of which is the case, the "not fit to have kids" attitude is normally raised for abusive junkies, people who go on holiday/drink binges for days leaving kids with a pack of cereal, people who allow scum partners to abuse their kids etc. Not for people who may have simply made a huge mistake, for which they might never forgive themselves.

Quite right.

Guest Scratch2000uk

That road,and in particular that crossing has had plenty of those kind of accidents, cars, lorries constantly wait behind the traffic lights to turn into ripponden road or down derker street when they are on green,doing so blocks your view of any traffic that maybe in the other two lanes at that junction, wasn't that long ago a similar accident happened at the ripponden road turn off involving a pram. :blink:

Imho those new pelican crossing layouts are dangerous, you cant see if the green man is still lit when you start crossing. :unsure:

Edited by Scratch2000uk

Absolutely agree.

And put far better than I did.

PMaybe the mum's to blame, maybe not - maybe she was just plain careless, maybe she had a million worries going through her head. Regardless of which is the case, the "not fit to have kids" attitude is normally raised for abusive junkies, people who go on holiday/drink binges for days leaving kids with a pack of cereal, people who allow scum partners to abuse their kids etc. Not for people who may have simply made a huge mistake, for which they might never forgive themselves.

Yup, totally agree..

Blaming the mother is hardly a hijack of the thread, it's completely on topic. It happens to be how I feel about the subject and I find it worthy of discussion. Other people have also said their own piece on trying to explain what has happened and how.

Afterall, there's only so much that can be said along the lines of "I hope the boy gets better" or "I hope the truck driver isn't too distraught". Both worthy sentiments, but in of themselves they're not sustainable fuel for a forum discussion.

I was specifically referring to the religious debate, which should be for another time and place.

There was a clear "and" and it was not fit to be parents line, but also as we do not know the facts, such as did the lorry driver end up much nearer the kerb that normal or even mount the kerb. People have assumed not. Which is wrong, and jumped to the conclusion that it was the mothers fault.

Anyway, real describes my views best.

But a discussion is a good thing.

With regard to prams and pulling, I have an alternative view to consider.

If you think of physics, if you pull a pram, the child may well topple forward, you could easily have a child hanging over the seat strap which I have experienced but not a road, ,could easily fall over and you would be dragging them across the road, and unable to see as you are "concentrating" which many have argue on here should happen, on the road.

Worse, it could well be an increased risk of the child toppling over the cross seat belt and actually falling into the road whilst crossing, again with the person more likely to be "concentrating" ont he road as she cannot see her child.

In perspective, how many pushing prams incidents/accidents are there compared to the numbers of times a pram is pushed across the road. It happens millions of times a day the world over, events such as this are mercifully very rare.

Edited by singe

In perspective, how many pushing prmas incidents/accidents are there compared to the numbers of times a pram is pushed across the road. It happens millions of times a day the world over, events such as this are mercifully very rare.

I think this is where the complacency part comes in... I certainly was extra cautious while pushing the pram this weekend...

Like I said, a wake up call for parents... I like to think I am already quite awake when crossing the road with baby...

Edited by oafc0000