Stayaways are not the problem

I suppose I could be categorised s a stayaway but as I live 200 miles away and have done for 30 years I'm not about to beat myself up about it.

But the probelm isn't stayaways. People are always going to drift due to family, changed riorities, work commitments etc. and given how the club has struggled over the last 15 years it was inevitable that the drift would accelerate.

That's not the issue. The real problem is that those that don't go haven't been replaced by a new generation -what is the average age of the home crowd these days? 30? 40? More?

Apart from the real die-hards being a hardcore supporter is a young man's game. How the club can go about getting more youngsters in I have, frankly, no idea but they should be the target, not trying to drag back the middle aged into something they used to do.

I suppose I could be categorised s a stayaway but as I live 200 miles away and have done for 30 years I'm not about to beat myself up about it.

But the probelm isn't stayaways. People are always going to drift due to family, changed riorities, work commitments etc. and given how the club has struggled over the last 15 years it was inevitable that the drift would accelerate.

That's not the issue. The real problem is that those that don't go haven't been replaced by a new generation -what is the average age of the home crowd these days? 30? 40? More?

Apart from the real die-hards being a hardcore supporter is a young man's game. How the club can go about getting more youngsters in I have, frankly, no idea but they should be the target, not trying to drag back the middle aged into something they used to do.

I started taking my nephew... Got him a Boundary Blue membership etc... He was a mascot at the last game of the season at BP (and Joe's last game)...

In the end he said he wanted to stop going because we never win (got :censored: at school of his mates), he often went hungry (food ran out almost every time he came), it was hard for him to see the game (either people stood up in front of him or when I move further forward the goal posts / stewards get in the way... I tried sitting in the main stand with him last season but again we had posts blocking our view and the amount of moaning made him ask, do they even support oldham ?, I also got a mouth full because I asked someone to move out of our seats...

After he didn't want to go, and with my friends no longer going, is the same time I stopped going, besides one game last season...

Edited by oafc0000

I started taking my nephew... Got him a Boundary Blue membership etc... He was a mascot at the last game of the season at BP (and Joe's last game)...

In the end he said he wanted to stop going because we never win (got :censored: at school of his mates), he often went hungry (food ran out almost every time he came), it was hard for him to see the game (either people stood up in front of him or when I move further forward the goal posts / stewards get in the way... I tried sitting in the main stand with him last season but again we had posts blocking our view and the amount of moaning made him ask, do they even support oldham ?, I also got a mouth full because I asked someone to move out of our seats...

After he didn't want to go, and with my friends no longer going, is the same time I stopped going, besides one game last season...

you don't go anymore???? :shock:

Some points in there are specifically Layics. But I fear that the bigger one is about kids wanting to support big, popular, winning sides. A few kids when I was at primary school supported Leeds as the team of the moment bt it was them that stood out from the crowd and were generally derided for it. Times have changed.

Some points in there are specifically Layics. But I fear that the bigger one is about kids wanting to support big, popular, winning sides. A few kids when I was at primary school supported Leeds as the team of the moment bt it was them that stood out from the crowd and were generally derided for it. Times have changed.

It's not just kids. I work with a bloke who was born, bred and educated in Bristol. He's a football fanatic. Who does he support? You've got it; Manchester Soddin' United. He's never supported either of the Bristol teams but goes to ManUre because, in his words, they're Premiership and successful. IMHO, and I'll stand to be shot down, he's a tosser.

He's not alone by a long chalk. I wonder how many of Oldham's population (born & bred in the town) are fully fledged Citeh or Taggart supporters. Bloody thousands, I should think and each and every one of them pisses me right off. Jump on the bandwagon and sod your home town team? No thanks.

In short, I reckon this thread has a very valid point, except I think it's also the point above PLUS the stayaways.

It's not just kids. I work with a bloke who was born, bred and educated in Bristol. He's a football fanatic. Who does he support? You've got it; Manchester Soddin' United. He's never supported either of the Bristol teams but goes to ManUre because, in his words, they're Premiership and successful. IMHO, and I'll stand to be shot down, he's a tosser.

You're absolutely right, he's a total tosser.

He's not alone by a long chalk. I wonder how many of Oldham's population (born & bred in the town) are fully fledged Citeh or Taggart supporters. Bloody thousands, I should think and each and every one of them pisses me right off. Jump on the bandwagon and sod your home town team? No thanks.

This really makes me sick, thay walk round Oldham with Manure and Citeh tops on as if they're their greatest fans but actually never even go to a game, probably couldn't find the grounds if they had an A to Z and a Sat Nav, (it's a good job I don't have a gun).

In short, I reckon this thread has a very valid point, except I think it's also the point above PLUS the stayaways.

Its hardly unusual though, this has been the case for years now. Personally I would say that Oldham is a core area for both Man U and Citeh being that its within 10 miles of either club. Perhaps in the long past before Sky, car ownership etc and other leisure activities, Latics would have been the only thing a person could have done, but the world is smaller, there are more thing to do, and Latics have been going down the hill. You can hate people for their choices, but they will continue to make them nonetheless, much to the detriment of latics.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

If it's any consolation 3 of us have defected the other way. To cut a long story a bit shorter I am 36 years old and a born and bred Salfordian. I was born in Salford and have lived there my entire life. I am massively proud of my roots and the only way I will ever move from the confines of my beautiful city is in a box.

However, I always liked football as a kid but didn't really support anybody in particular as my old man was more in to his cricket. I went to United the odd time (shudders) and City the odd time and a couple of times even jumped on a train to Anfield to watch Liverpool. I enjoyed it but it didn't really hit that special spot if you know what I mean.

In 1988, at the ripe old age of 14, I was doing my homework in my bedroom when I stumbled accross a Latics game on GMR. Out of nothing more than fancying something different I jumped on 3 buses and went to BP for the next home game. It took me hours and, when I got there, it was absolutely bloody freezing. On top of that I had never quite seen a football stand like the old Rochdale Road End used to be before they did it up. I was ankle deep in mud, freezing cold, and had to pee up a wall in a shed.

It wasn't even a particularly great game, although Latics won 2 v 0. For no reason that I can logically explain, other than "it got under my skin" I was absolutely hooked as I saw it as proper grass roots stuff, a friendly family club. I am now in my 22nd season, most of them as a season ticket holder, and regularly trek up and down the country to support MY TEAM.

I don't consider myself to be any more or less of a Latics fan because I wasn't born in Oldham. I can't help that.

About 10 years ago I also managed to convert my younger brother and my Dad who are also now established Latics season ticket holders. And i've already started to brain wash the kids....

Stayaways ARE the problem!

LATICS 'TIL I DIE!

Edited by Break The Silence

I feel all powerful :lol:

Although I am not really a stayaway... More of, got better things to do...

That raises an interesting point

How do you define a 'stayaway'?

Is it simply someone who says they supports latics but does not go to the game for whatever reason?

Is it someone who says they support latics, is perfectly capable of making the game but chooses to do other things with their time?

Is it someone who says they support latics, can make every game but does not for a latics related reason ie crap football, dont like the manager, :censored:e facilities, poor matchday experience?

That raises an interesting point

How do you define a 'stayaway'?

Is it simply someone who says they supports latics but does not go to the game for whatever reason?

Is it someone who says they support latics, is perfectly capable of making the game but chooses to do other things with their time?

Is it someone who says they support latics, can make every game but does not for a latics related reason ie crap football, dont like the manager, :censored:e facilities, poor matchday experience?

All of the above, providing they have "chosen" to stay away. I would excuse somebody who has to work on a match day or exiles who now live 100's of miles away or abroad, but those who simply go shopping or to the boozer instead need to give themselves a slap...

Its up to the players and the club to give him a reason to come back though is it not?

As I see it, either he's a fan, or he's not, and, by definition, if you choose to stop coming because of the product on the pitch, you ain't a fan!

"Fanatic: A person motivated by irrational enthusiasm (as for a cause); "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject"--Winston Churchill"

As I see it, either he's a fan, or he's not, and, by definition, if you choose to stop coming because of the product on the pitch, you ain't a fan!

"Fanatic: A person motivated by irrational enthusiasm (as for a cause); "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject"--Winston Churchill"

So I am more of a follower / well wisher... I follow the scores and wish OAFC well :)

Glad we cleared that up :) Its an awful burden being a fan :)

I feel all powerful :lol:

Although I am not really a stayaway... More of, got better things to do...

It's interesting that you have better things to do than go and watch Latics, but you clearly have nothing better to do than come on here hour after hour after hour and tell us that you have got better things to do. :blink:

It's interesting that you have better things to do than go and watch Latics, but you clearly have nothing better to do than come on here hour after hour after hour and tell us that you have got better things to do. :blink:

Obviously he still cares about the club but will not go back to BP until the clubs meet him halfway i.e A four sided stadium and better matchday experience.

Obviously he still cares about the club but will not go back to BP until the clubs meet him halfway i.e A four sided stadium and better matchday experience.

Nah, if he did care about the club he'd go and watch.

The club clearly cannot afford to build a new stand, and as for the matchday experience it's what you make it yourself, you have a drink, enjoy the craic, job done a good day and a good experience.

If people stand moaning at anything and everything then no wonder they don't enjoy themselves or the experience.