• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ossie Ardiles - was sublime at a time when very few foriegners plied their trade in the english game.

Ossie was the best player I ever saw on our Plastic pitch, ran the game from the Centre circle,absolute class.

Unfortunately he was that good. I have never seen any player with the same poise on the ball that he had and the sheer presence of him on the field won many games.

Why Leeds sold him to the scum I will never know but he was as instrumental in turning the scum around as Ferguson, in my opinion.

Incidentally he made his debut in English football at Boundary Park for the Yorkshire Anti Christs and got a good spanking of the Latics - 2-0 but it could have been many more............

wasnt that game 2 2 with cantona scoring twice, then ian olney scoring twice at the death to rescue a point.?

wasnt that game 2 2 with cantona scoring twice, then ian olney scoring twice at the death to rescue a point.?

no, season before 91-92...we won 2 -0 although Leeds did go on to be champions....last team to win the old Division 1 title

You think he was :censored:? If so, you clearly know nothing about football. He was the best player of the time in my opinion, great to watch. He played his part alongside the evolving, emerging United youth that consolidated their dominance of the top tier. Eventually, the team he captained and influenced would go on to win the lot. While he was winning Prem league titles we were in free-fall and looking at spending silly money on players like Matty Rush.

At least one person got the ‘message’.

Let me have a go.

1. The man doing the kicking in the photo is "the :censored:".

2. The man at the business end of the :censored:'s kick is "the fan."

They call it a pun, and I was enjoying a little chuckle at it till I read your post.

However as you’ve jumped to Eric’s defence, I’ll mention his other side. I don’t disagree about his skills, but his arrogance and bad temper led him to ban after ban. He was known as the ‘enfant terrible’ of French football. Amongst the many incidences he threw the ball at the ref, attacked his fellow team players and publicly insulted the French national team coach, of whom he said “I am not far from thinking that he is a :censored:bag."

He was never sent off for dirty Leeds, but on his return to Elland Road a few weeks after moving to Old Trafford, he spat at a fan and was fined £1,000 by the F.A.

He was sent off at the end of the Champions League exit at the hands of Galatasaray following an argument with the ref.

He received his first red card in England for deliberately stamping on the chest of Swindon’s John Moncur. See at 5:30 on:

He was sent off in his next game against Arsenal, and the two successive red cards got him banned for five matches, including the F.A. Cup semi-final against Latics, which United drew 1–1 with the goal we don’t talk about. :disappointed:

You may be one of those who excused his bouts of violence as the inevitable excesses of a tortured genius. I consider that all his transgressions make him undeserving of the title 'King' and, if I wanted to be mischievous, I would have to use Eric's quote “I am not far from thinking that he is a :censored:bag." :devilish:

:lol:

400 appearances, and that's the worst? I was expecting revelations of him burning down an orphanage, making slippers out of bunny rabbits, or running people over whilst steaming drunk.

“There is no genius free from some tincture of madness”

He's not a genius and saying that someone who is a bit of a thug has a "tincture of madness" is ludicrous flattery. He's just a bit of a thug and a baby.

If you're going to behave like that, you'd better actually be the best, rather than just an also-ran show pony and conqueror or Swindon's John Moncur.

:lol: Everybody be cool. You be cool.

Interesting how a different point of view offer hostility - however if I'd have posted that under my defunct user name I doubt I would have got that response...

I don't take any of it personally, mind.

Go on I will bite, who did you used to post as ?