Sorry to talk about red scum on here but i watched the film 'looking for eric' last night and was wondering if he really is as good as the scum say he was.

I was only in my early teens when he was playing so dont remember him that well. I remember thinking he was different class at the time but was that just cos he was one of the first flare players to come over here from europe? I know he was good but scum fans say he was the best ever forigner to play over here. Was he really better than the likes of Zola, Henry and Bergkamp or do i just remember them a lot better?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to talk about red scum on here but i watched the film 'looking for eric' last night and was wondering if he really is as good as the scum say he was.

I was only in my early teens when he was playing so dont remember him that well. I remember thinking he was different class at the time but was that just cos he was one of the first flare players to come over here from europe? I know he was good but scum fans say he was the best ever forigner to play over here. Was he really better than the likes of Zola, Henry and Bergkamp or do i just remember them a lot better?

Unfortunately he was that good. I have never seen any player with the same poise on the ball that he had and the sheer presence of him on the field won many games.

Why Leeds sold him to the scum I will never know but he was as instrumental in turning the scum around as Ferguson, in my opinion.

Incidentally he made his debut in English football at Boundary Park for the Yorkshire Anti Christs and got a good spanking of the Latics - 2-0 but it could have been many more............

He always seemed to stand up and be counted when the scum needed him. 0-0 and up steps Cantona with a moment of brilliance............ and that's the game.

Didn't he bone Leslie Ash and that is why he was sold, or was that just a rumour? (Leslie Ash being married to Lee Chapman)

He always seemed to stand up and be counted when the scum needed him. 0-0 and up steps Cantona with a moment of brilliance............ and that's the game.

Didn't he bone Leslie Ash and that is why he was sold, or was that just a rumour? (Leslie Ash being married to Lee Chapman)

urban myth...he actually shagged Lee Chapman... :grin:

I hate the French, but every now and then you make exceptions...Cantona was special, very special.. :wink:

However, I do think that up to now, Bergkamp for sheer consistency shades the best foreign prem player accolade..IMHO

I hate the French, but every now and then you make exceptions...Cantona was special, very special.. :wink:

However, I do think that up to now, Bergkamp for sheer consistency shades the best foreign prem player accolade..IMHO

Coming back on the best foreigner to play in the premiership, that would be his team mate at the Scum from Denmark. Peter Schmeichel. By far the most consistent foreginer that has played in our country.........he was pretty good too!

Anyone that kicks a gobby cockney in front of millions viewers instantly becomes a bit of a legend too. Shame he is french and played for dirty leeds and manure.

Unfortunately he was that good. I have never seen any player with the same poise on the ball that he had and the sheer presence of him on the field won many games.

Why Leeds sold him to the scum I will never know but he was as instrumental in turning the scum around as Ferguson, in my opinion.

Incidentally he made his debut in English football at Boundary Park for the Yorkshire Anti Christs and got a good spanking of the Latics - 2-0 but it could have been many more............

My 1st ever visit to Boundary Park...despite seeing us at Maine Road and Wembley etc.

Now that i do remember well. (not the film, i meant the kung fu kick)

I think the best foreigner to play over here is bergkamp his touch was absolutly brilliant and he was at the top of his game for 10 years or so while playing in the prem and that goal he scored against newcastle is one of the best goals ive ever seen.

Edited by stevesmitt

United would never have won the Champions league with him in the side. They really took off when he left.

Very good player, but if you listen to United fans they put him up there with Zidane, Ronaldo (fat and portugese) and Messi - he was no where near that level.

United would never have won the Champions league with him in the side. They really took off when he left.

Very good player, but if you listen to United fans they put him up there with Zidane, Ronaldo (fat and portugese) and Messi - he was no where near that level.

Totally agree, both Man Utd and France did better without him.

The main reason Cantona achieved deity status at Old Trafford is that he was the vital final piece in the jigsaw, the maverick creator and leader who transformed United from a good side to one that would dominate for a decade.

In a cold comparison he wouldn't match up against Messi, Zidane, Maradona etc. But for United he was the perfect player at the perfect time. The most influential foreigner to play in the Premiership if not the best.

There are few like him in the history of the game.

A genius, no doubt. In the mould of Stan Bowles and Rodney Marsh. Another poster mentioned Bergkamp, although I think Denis was more level headed. Frank Worthington springs to mind too. Football is a better sport for these kinds of talent.

In that niche below Cruyff, Best or Maradonna.

The kind of player who was too disruptive to play for his country regularly, but had more talent than all those selected ahead of him.

I saw him a couple of times. An 80th minute volley against Arsenal to win a top of the table game midweek stays with me until this day.

I also saw Cantona play for Stockport. He was :censored:e!

Edited by opinions4u

Henry was better imo. Cantona looked very good against uncouth English players, he was cultured, he had tricks up his sleeve which our rough one dimensional players couldn't cope with. In modern football he wouldn't stand out as much, he'd be coming up against similar cultured foreign players week in week out, add to that the pace of the game has improved dramatically. Cantona had a perfect style for his time. Henry however not only proved himself in the modern, foreign player filled version of the Premiership, he proved it at Europe's top level.

The best thing about that...

...one of the best things about that is the faces in the crowd. What does disbelief and horror look like?

the best thing about that was Paddy Crearands commentary on GMR that night. He started Crying. "Eric, Eric... what have you done Eric?!" he had to be taken off the rest of the game. I've looked for that audio for years.