Best Latics debuts ?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tipton scored a beaut on his debut coming off the bench against Wrexham. Thought Adrian Littlejohn was going to be a Tics legend after his debut, think he scored the winner against Watford?

Wasn't his debut though, he'd played in a few more games before that. Superb finish though, always thought he had some ability but so little desire.

Think Ormondroyd got a hat-trick in his secoind debut against Bradford aswell.

As Sinnot says Ormodroyd's second debut was at Charlton, he scored his first goal in a 1-1 draw v WBA the Tuesday after and a brace v Port Vale the following Saturday in our first win of the season. The hat-trick you refer to at Bradford was by Stuart Barlow.

I think we lost 1-2 after taking the lead. It was August bank holiday IIRC.

I'm not sure whether it was a debut or not, Prozac may be able to confirm this, but Julian Baudet at home to eventual champions Brighton. Two brilliant goals won us the game but Baudet was a revelation; a man mountain at the back. I think it was his first start for the club.

Baudet had made a few appearances by then - his debut was at Barrow in the Cup Replay, he was superb that night too.

Edited by oafcprozac

Neil Pointon - I remember wondering how Andy Barlow (then my joint second favourite player) was ever going to get back in the team. Sadly no idea who it was against, just his performance that sticks in my mind.

Also, wasn't David Currie's starring role coming off the bench against Notts County his debut? Looked as if we had signed one of the great football geniuses. He continued to look like a football genius every match, right up until about the time the whistle blew, whereupon he lost all ability.

Neil Pointon - I remember wondering how Andy Barlow (then my joint second favourite player) was ever going to get back in the team. Sadly no idea who it was against, just his performance that sticks in my mind.

Also, wasn't David Currie's starring role coming off the bench against Notts County his debut? Looked as if we had signed one of the great football geniuses. He continued to look like a football genius every match, right up until about the time the whistle blew, whereupon he lost all ability.

Dissa's debut was v Crystal Palace in a 1-1 draw, he was banned for the season's opener v Chelsea. Remember him cutting Salako in two a few times that night, shame we missed McGoldrick on the opposite wing for their equaliser!

Favourite Dissa moment was him knocking Kanchelskis 6 foot into the air with the first tackle of the night on 9/3/93, didn't even get a talking too - Kanchelskis didn't want to know after that!

Currie made his debut at Barnsley a few weeks earlier, Notts County was his first impact. He scored a belter at Hillsborough as well - still have nightmares over him trying to square it to the Dodger on NYD v Newcastle. Palmer was five yards away, Currie nearly knocked him over after woefully over-hitting the simplest of passes!

Edited by oafcprozac

Super Simon Stainrod away at Blackburn, night match, sent the keeper the wrong way by dropping his shoulder running along the deadball line and smashed it into the goal in front of a big Latics away following in the Darwen End.

Its a moment that I will NEVER forget (unless I develop Alzheimer's or something of course) :lol: