Best Latics debuts ?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about Danny Jones? Signed at lunch time and playing for us at 7.45pm on a friday Vs stockport. I thought he was the best player on the park that day even though we lost 3-1

Mark Hudson did better than that away at Brentford (under Dowie IIRC). We signed him on loan from Fulham the day before; all the paper work went through – but because he was London based; he just made his own way to the ground and met his new team-mates 1 hour before kick-off, then played really well at CB in the game when Eyresy missed a Pen right in front of us standing away fans....1 all i think it was; or did we lose 1 nil, memory fades on that one.

Other than that, as others have said, Betsy’s debut was impressive; his goal was blinding. Chris Taylor coming on vs Nottingham Forest was a cracking 1st performance; tore their LB a new one every time he got the ball (To Megson: You’re getting sacked in the morning!) & Eardley’s debut in Eyresy last game for us was a solid display & a nod to the future

Matthew Rush vs Swindon at home was the best I have seen. We won 5-1 with Stuart Barlow getting 3.

His own debut wasn't too bad as I remember. Scored one and set-up one to put us two nil up against Millwall........then, typically, Millwall scored twice in the last minute and it finished two all!

Edited by JoeP

Mark Hudson did better than that away at Brentford (under Dowie IIRC). We signed him on loan from Fulham the day before; all the paper work went through – but because he was London based; he just made his own way to the ground and met his new team-mates 1 hour before kick-off, then played really well at CB in the game when Eyresy missed a Pen right in front of us standing away fans....1 all i think it was; or did we lose 1 nil, memory fades on that one.

I think we lost 1-2 after taking the lead. It was August bank holiday IIRC.

I'm not sure whether it was a debut or not, Prozac may be able to confirm this, but Julian Baudet at home to eventual champions Brighton. Two brilliant goals won us the game but Baudet was a revelation; a man mountain at the back. I think it was his first start for the club.

Got to be Simon Stainrod's two goals at Blackburn, a ground we always seemed to lose at and his second goal was one of the best I've ever seen in 40 years watching Latics. Think Alan Young was also up front with him - what a partnership that could have been if they'd played more games together

3 more debuts to remember

Craig Davies against swansea tore them up in the first half with his pace and second half got a last minute winner

Fitz halls home debut against Stoke gets a last minute winner and solid at the back all game the most talented defender we have had since the Richard Jobson.

Clint Hill at home to Tranmere Tranmere reject! Tranmere reject! Hello! Hello!

The best 2 are Matty Rush scored 1 pretty much made the rest in a 5-1 demolition, and Lee Richardson and his 2 screamers into the top corner.