Impact of the loan signing

We have got three top loan signings this season - and their impact on the overall team performances is significant. Mvoto and Tounkare have proved to be astute signings whilst Evina shows real promise on the left wing.

Carlisle seem to have done well out of the loan market too - on Saturday they had Ben Marshall from Stoke and James Chester from Manure as goalscorers and they have just extended the loan of Grella from Leeds. Huddersfield have Carey from Celtic, Afobe from Arsenal, Crof from Derby etc.

And how much will Brighton miss the impact of Lua Lua (Newcastle) now that he has picked up a serious injury?

With the influx of players into the premier league, it is inevitable that many good players will be farmed out to lower league clubs - the mutual benefits are great. But it's all about getting the right ones in - Nick Blackman showed great potential last season without making a real impact (maybe not his fault?) - now look at him in Motherwell's first team.

One note of caution - too many loan players may prevent homegrown lads coming through - hopefully a good manager will find the right balance.

Paul Dickov has not done too badly so far with his loanees - one or two more in January? :wink:

We have got three top loan signings this season - and their impact on the overall team performances is significant. Mvoto and Tounkare have proved to be astute signings whilst Evina shows real promise on the left wing.

Carlisle seem to have done well out of the loan market too - on Saturday they had Ben Marshall from Stoke and James Chester from Manure as goalscorers and they have just extended the loan of Grella from Leeds. Huddersfield have Carey from Celtic, Afobe from Arsenal, Crof from Derby etc.

And how much will Brighton miss the impact of Lua Lua (Newcastle) now that he has picked up a serious injury?

With the influx of players into the premier league, it is inevitable that many good players will be farmed out to lower league clubs - the mutual benefits are great. But it's all about getting the right ones in - Nick Blackman showed great potential last season without making a real impact (maybe not his fault?) - now look at him in Motherwell's first team.

One note of caution - too many loan players may prevent homegrown lads coming through - hopefully a good manager will find the right balance.

Paul Dickov has not done too badly so far with his loanees - one or two more in January? :wink:

they have all done more than most of our previous loan signings under Penney put together. Jim Goodwin being the most pointless

Aslong as we get the balance right and don't have too many. I think the amount we have right now is about right, what we don't want to happen again is the situation we had at the end of John Sheridans reign where he was bringing people in on loan just for the sheer hell of it and it completely messed up the squad.

The problem with our loan signings before is that there will ill thought out, made out of desperation and only short term. So we would be in need of some goals, sign some fat arse striker who had been warming the bench for a championship side struggling with relegation, they would play s**t for a few games get injured or the loan run out and be off (and not missed). All this while we have young strikers at the club begging to be given the chance (e.g. lewis hatrick and then dropped). Long term loans are a different story and think we have struck the right balance this year.

The problem with our loan signings before is that there will ill thought out, made out of desperation and only short term. So we would be in need of some goals, sign some fat arse striker who had been warming the bench for a championship side struggling with relegation, they would play s**t for a few games get injured or the loan run out and be off (and not missed). All this while we have young strikers at the club begging to be given the chance (e.g. lewis hatrick and then dropped). Long term loans are a different story and think we have struck the right balance this year.

Well said, we were slurring much the same last night over a few impromptu OASIS beers. For all he did right as manager Shez seemed to be stuck for a solution to a problem other than to bring in one loanee after another, and looking back it looks like we would have been better not to bother. Keep the lads we have. IF there is room to get one more in and IF it is someone who might really nick us goals, then have him, if not, no problem, let's push on with the squas we have.

Well said, we were slurring much the same last night over a few impromptu OASIS beers. For all he did right as manager Shez seemed to be stuck for a solution to a problem other than to bring in one loanee after another, and looking back it looks like we would have been better not to bother. Keep the lads we have. IF there is room to get one more in and IF it is someone who might really nick us goals, then have him, if not, no problem, let's push on with the squas we have.

I think the issue with the majority of the loans Penney brought in; and so too Shez towards the end of his time here; was the fact that they were players who hadn’t been playing for their clubs or had been long-term injured and were on the recovery path – that’s why their parent clubs were prepared to send them out in the first place.

Brett Ormerod is a good striker. He was a still a good striker when we signed him; it was just the fact that he was a good striker coming back from a long injury lay-off and he was woefully short of base fitness; let alone match sharpness. The fact that we were playing him when he was like that said more about our management at that time than it did about the actually ability he had / has as a player.

The difference this year is that we have signed 2 young lads; M’Voto & Tonkara, who had a full pre-season at Sunderland and joined up with us with enough time to bed in – they also know they are here for the season so that gives them stability – and they are also young up & comers who are physically strong and fit; with points to prove in the game; not 30+year olds who may or may not be on the way down physically & mentally.......Evina is similar; in that he had a full pre-season at Arsenal; and had played competitive reserve games since the start of the season; so he too arrived fit and ready to play from the off.

I’m happy with 3 loans – the 2 ‘Beasts’ being here for the season; and i’d be happy if we could extend Evina for the season (not sure if that is possible as he’s been signed on an initial 1 month that has then been extended??)

1 more loan in January, if the squad stays the same as it is (and that’s a big IF isn’t it?), a ‘fox in the box’ striker and i think we’re set. This season has shown that if used properly, the loan market is a great resource to tap into.

I think the issue with the majority of the loans Penney brought in; and so too Shez towards the end of his time here; was the fact that they were players who hadn’t been playing for their clubs or had been long-term injured and were on the recovery path – that’s why their parent clubs were prepared to send them out in the first place.

Brett Ormerod is a good striker. He was a still a good striker when we signed him; it was just the fact that he was a good striker coming back from a long injury lay-off and he was woefully short of base fitness; let alone match sharpness. The fact that we were playing him when he was like that said more about our management at that time than it did about the actually ability he had / has as a player.

The difference this year is that we have signed 2 young lads; M’Voto & Tonkara, who had a full pre-season at Sunderland and joined up with us with enough time to bed in – they also know they are here for the season so that gives them stability – and they are also young up & comers who are physically strong and fit; with points to prove in the game; not 30+year olds who may or may not be on the way down physically & mentally.......Evina is similar; in that he had a full pre-season at Arsenal; and had played competitive reserve games since the start of the season; so he too arrived fit and ready to play from the off.

I’m happy with 3 loans – the 2 ‘Beasts’ being here for the season; and i’d be happy if we could extend Evina for the season (not sure if that is possible as he’s been signed on an initial 1 month that has then been extended??)

1 more loan in January, if the squad stays the same as it is (and that’s a big IF isn’t it?), a ‘fox in the box’ striker and i think we’re set. This season has shown that if used properly, the loan market is a great resource to tap into.

Good points - I had forgotten about Mr Ormerod - although he didn't deliver too much while he was here, he was clearly a decent player coming back from injury. He is now deemed good enough to play premiership football as a squad player and often used substitute.

Kudos for P Diddy for spotting the players and getting the most out of them - as for the foxy striker - whatever happened to Baxter from Everton? He was being touted as the first loanee at one time.

Good points - I had forgotten about Mr Ormerod - although he didn't deliver too much while he was here, he was clearly a decent player coming back from injury. He is now deemed good enough to play premiership football as a squad player and often used substitute.

Kudos for P Diddy for spotting the players and getting the most out of them - as for the foxy striker - whatever happened to Baxter from Everton? He was being touted as the first loanee at one time.

Just a rumour on here wasn’t it? Never actually mentioned by PD or any of the management team. He was on the bench Vs Arsenal over the weekend; so I think he’s currently well & truly a 1st team squad player for them; so i doubt at present a loan move is on the crads, and even if it was; I would doubt a move to a L1 side would be his destination.

I wouldn’t mind us looking at bringing in Waide Fairhurst from Donny. He scored 4 in a 10 games for Shrewsbury last season; and has just gone on loan to Southend Utd; but only for a 1 month emergency loan which is up end of the month. Nippy and a good finisher.........

Edited by slystallone

Just a rumour on here wasn’t it? Never actually mentioned by PD or any of the management team. He was on the bench Vs Arsenal over the weekend; so I think he’s currently well & truly a 1st team squad player for them; so i doubt at present a loan move is on the crads, and even if it was; I would doubt a move to a L1 side would be his destination.

I wouldn’t mind us looking at bringing in Waide Fairhurst from Donny. He scored 4 in a 10 games for Shrewsbury last season; and has just gone on loan to Southend Utd; but only for a 1 month emergency loan which is up end of the month. Nippy and a good finisher.........

No rumour it was a Royle Army FACT

My mate rang me last week asking about David Evina, a Latics player to whom he had just let a city centre flat. Presumably the paperwork will be drawn up in the wrong name, so it might not mean much, but Cedric's got a 6 month minimum tenancy so maybe he is staying past January?

Incidentally my mate, who's a red and a reknowned miserable bastard, said Cedric was a real nice guy and made no mention of the fact that he's actually at Arsenal and merely on loan here. :chubb:

My mate rang me last week asking about David Evina, a Latics player to whom he had just let a city centre flat. Presumably the paperwork will be drawn up in the wrong name, so it might not mean much, but Cedric's got a 6 month minimum tenancy so maybe he is staying past January?

Incidentally my mate, who's a red and a reknowned miserable bastard, said Cedric was a real nice guy and made no mention of the fact that he's actually at Arsenal and merely on loan here. :chubb:

dont you get it? Evina is signing for City in January

Premiership Footballer in humble & modest attitude shocker??? Never – never I tell thee.

I need to balance this out:

Cedric Evina is a right little sod and once ate my Hamster. So there....