Break away from FIFA ?

"FIFA is a waste of space. It's a money making organisation and I don't think they give a damn about football."

If they were about making money for football, they would have awarded the World Cup to England.

While I agree about them being a money making organisation, there are question marks around who is benefiting from whatever money is made by FIFA and its officials.

He's not wrong. But isn't this really about chickens coming home to roost for us after :censored:ting on Johansson when he tried to take Blatter down?

We had a chance to clear house and undoubtedly took our own bung and stabbed Johansson in the back, and then successfully hosted the World Cup in 2006. :blink:

He's not wrong. But isn't this really about chickens coming home to roost for us after :censored:ting on Johansson when he tried to take Blatter down?

We had a chance to clear house and undoubtedly took our own bung and stabbed Johansson in the back, and then successfully hosted the World Cup in 2006. :blink:

Oh we are a long way from being whiter than white.

We've just cancelled a friendly in Thailand. I'm sure that's nothing to do with them not voting for us.

We're upset that Warner didn't deliver the goods despite the friendly in Trinidad and Beckham's soccer school there.

Yet we've known that Warner has been as dubious in his football related business practicies for much longer than this World Cup bid has been on the table.

Chairman of the FA stands down because he can't trust FIFA. When the hell have we ever been able to trust FIFA? It's not new for crying out loud. There is a little bit of arrogance in our frustration at the moment. I do think Russia and Qatar are shocking choices for a World Cup and I don't doubt that some of the journalistic mud slinging at FIFA delegates has substance.

While FIFA stinks, we played their games of backscratching and bull:censored: and lost. We should have expected it and now, in the eyes of other nations, look pretty pathetic for our moaning.

Yes, I think we should lead the way in trying to set up a new international football body to replace FIFA. But it won't happen because the money in the game is driven from UEFA who will kick our sides out of the Champions League as soon as our FA try anything like showing a bit of backbone.

Reduced revenues for the top 4 sides in English football from no Champions League would probably be rather good for the game as a whole. Fewer foreigners would play here too, so some real homegrown talent would get more chance. Just ain't gonna happen.

I agree with him, why should representatives from two bit nations control the world's biggest (and most profitable sport) if the European big guns resigned or even offered to resign then FIFA would :censored: themselves. Europe is the cash-cow...

Spain must be as pissed off as we are

I know it's a reactionary stance but how can people like Blatter and Warner constantly get away with their blatant corruption?

Oh we are a long way from being whiter than white.

We've just cancelled a friendly in Thailand. I'm sure that's nothing to do with them not voting for us.

We're upset that Warner didn't deliver the goods despite the friendly in Trinidad and Beckham's soccer school there.

Yet we've known that Warner has been as dubious in his football related business practicies for much longer than this World Cup bid has been on the table. His corruptibility goes back decades especially with the IOC

Chairman of the FA stands down because he can't trust FIFA. When the hell have we ever been able to trust FIFA? It's not new for crying out loud. There is a little bit of arrogance in our frustration at the moment. I do think Russia and Qatar are shocking choices for a World Cup and I don't doubt that some of the journalistic mud slinging at FIFA delegates has substance.

While FIFA stinks, we played their games of backscratching and bull:censored: and lost. We should have expected it and now, in the eyes of other nations, look pretty pathetic for our moaning. It does smack of being sore losers, but come on we're looking at a minimum of 64 years without a World Cup at the home of football, is that right? When in that same time Germany has hosted it twice and so has Mexico?

Yes, I think we should lead the way in trying to set up a new international football body to replace FIFA. But it won't happen because the money in the game is driven from UEFA who will kick our sides out of the Champions League as soon as our FA try anything like showing a bit of backbone. Would UEFA be willing to lose out on the revenue the English clubs generate? Take for instance the The Italian grounds - they are usually empty for the Chumps league, even in the later stages - given the capacities of OT, Anfield, WHL, Emirates, Stamford Bridge, Eastlands etc... it will cost the fat cats millions and let's be honest how far away from a dedicated Euro League are we anyway?

Reduced revenues for the top 4 sides in English football from no Champions League would probably be rather good for the game as a whole. Fewer foreigners would play here too, so some real homegrown talent would get more chance. Just ain't gonna happen. The EPL is looking at going global anyway, they've sucked the Euro tit dry, so are now looking at playing League games in the US and the Far East, the Premier League monster will just find new markets to feast on...

Edited by oafcprozac

I'm trying to be Johnny Foreigner looking in when I repsond to this. Not really my own views but:

we're looking at a minimum of 64 years without a World Cup at the home of football, is that right? When in that same time Germany has hosted it twice and so has Mexico

64 years = 17 World Cups with 200+ members of FIFA - perhaps it should be centuries before it "comes home". Mexico stepped in at the last minute to keep the 1986 WC in Latin America. Germany twice was certainly an oddity though - I might be wrong but didn't the FA "do a deal" to step aside and backed Germany's 2006 bid?

Would UEFA be willing to lose out on the revenue the English clubs generate? Take for instance the The Italian grounds - they are usually empty for the Chumps league, even in the later stages - give the capacity of OT, Anfield, WHL, Emirates, Stamford Bridge, Eastlands etc... it will cost the fat cats millions and let's be honest how far away from a dedicated Euro League are we anyway?

It's not about attendances. It's about TV revenues. Stick an extra side from Spain, Italy, Germany and wherever else in and you'd probably hardly miss English teams.

The EPL is looking at going global anyway, they've sucked the Euro tit dry, so are now looking at playing League games in the US and the Far East, the Premier League monster will just find new markets to feast on

Such an approach as part of setting up a new body to replace FIFA could work on a lot of levels. Although the idea itself is sick making.

Edited by opinions4u

I'm trying to be Johnny Foreigner looking in when I repsond to this. Not really my own views but:

64 years = 17 World Cups with 200+ members of FIFA - perhaps it should be centuries before it "comes home". Mexico stepped in at the last minute to keep the 1986 WC in Latin America. Yeah I know, Colombia couldn't meet the deadlines due to corruption, Government unrest and the cartels wanting a piece of the pie which pretty much stalled their hopes, hopefully the same will happen in Brazil and Russia :grin:Germany twice was certainly an oddity though - I might be wrong but didn't the FA "do a deal" to step aside and backed Germany's 2006 bid?That rings a bell, looks like they didn't return the favour! I know what you are saying there, but what chance has say probably 90% of those countries genuinely hosting a WC? (Although Qatar certainly does much to blow my assumption out of the water!!)

It's not about attendances. It's about TV revenues. Stick an extra side from Spain, Italy, Germany and wherever else in and you'd probably hardly miss English teams. If you can get those countries (or some of them) onside, it becomes a hefty kick in the balls to UEFA, thus suddenly FIFA can't cream off their dividends (more akin to to the mob wetting their beaks imo)

Such an approach as part of setting up a new body to replace FIFA could work on a lot of levels. Although the idea itself is sick making.I'm not so sure, let 'em take it global, smaller clubs may reap the benefits kicking off at some unholy hour may well attract the arm chair fans out of the pub and to the traditional 3 0'clock KO's on a Saturday - idealistic? Maybe...A possibility? Certainly!

Right off for a bath, think this discussion nationwide will rumble on - the only conceivable answer I can see is to somehow reign in FIFA's power, oust Blatter and have a whole rethink on football's Global ruling power...it needs to be drastic but the will is just not there and we'll be stuck with the status quo. It's a little known fact but the FA does have the power to veto FIFA in many aspects of the game, that power is not used often enough imo and a weak FA only serves to increase FIFA's dominance...

Edited by oafcprozac

If they were about making money for football, they would have awarded the World Cup to England.

While I agree about them being a money making organisation, there are question marks around who is benefiting from whatever money is made by FIFA and its officials.

"they" are about making money

i think you're confusing that with them being about FIFA making money

"they" are about making money

i think you're confusing that with them being about FIFA making money

"They" was in the context of a quote referring to FIFA.

"They" in the context of the individual FIFA officials is a different story :wink: .

(Hence the second line of my post which you deleted :o )

Edited by opinions4u