Unwanted record

If the Hartlepool game is off, and the Dale game is on, have we ever played back to back league fixtures against the same team?

Awaits detailed Prozac response.... :wink:

This used to be common in league fixures over Christmas: play a team on Christmas Day and play them again at the other venue on Boxing Day. Until the 1950s if I remember correctly.

This used to be common in league fixures over Christmas: play a team on Christmas Day and play them again at the other venue on Boxing Day. Until the 1950s if I remember correctly.

I'd reckon the last time would have been against Southport over Easter in a promotion season. I'm thinking 73-74 and a 6-0 win at home followed by a 2-0 away but I'm not sure Southport made the old third division so perhaps that was 70/71.

Just checked - that was 73-4. Southport were relegated that season.

Edited by Dave_Og

I'd reckon the last time would have been against Southport over Easter in a promotion season. I'm thinking 73-74 and a 6-0 win at home followed by a 2-0 away but I'm not sure Southport made the old third division so perhaps that was 70/71.

Just checked - that was 73-4. Southport were relegated that season.

That season (73-74) was 3 games in 4 days as it always used to be in those days. Southport home Good Froday won 6-0, Bristol Rovers away Easter saturday won 2-1 Southport away Easter Monday won 2-0.

The Southport games were not back to back

That season (73-74) was 3 games in 4 days as it always used to be in those days. Southport home Good Froday won 6-0, Bristol Rovers away Easter saturday won 2-1 Southport away Easter Monday won 2-0.

Fair enough. They must have been back to back for me! Family connectiosn in Southport so I imagine I was there for a chunk of Easter. Maked you realise that the nutty bits of the modern fixture list (such as Colchester between Christmas and New Year) are nothing new.

The Bristol Rovers game was 1st v 2nd and was on MOTD. Barry Davies was very complimentary.