Richard butcher

Only 29 Years old, very very sad. Our thoughts go to his wife and family. RIP.

Jeez! Not even 29 til later this month apparently. Shocking and very, very sad. Condolences to his family.

Edit - Sorry 30 this month - born '81 not 82 as I thought.

Still bloody awful news and no age whatsoever.

Edited by danoafc

Awful, awful news. I think I was one of very few people who really didn't think he was that bad a player for us. Seemed like a genuinely nice bloke. RIP Richard.

I remember him winning me £50 on Boxing Day after scoring first against Bradford. As a 17 year old at the time, that money was a fortune to me, especially just after Xmas.

Also, the dogs abuse he got at Barnsley that time made me sick to be a Latics fan in all honesty. This kinda compounds that.

I hope they're feeling a tinge of guilt tonight and have an epiphany that football's a job at the end of the day and these guys are human beings after-all as this shocking news proves.

Awful, awful news. I think I was one of very few people who really didn't think he was that bad a player for us. Seemed like a genuinely nice bloke. RIP Richard.

Same here, not really the time today but I thought he was played too deep, he wasn't a defensive player. The abuse he got was way over the top, it is only a bloody game.

RIP

I'm shocked by this, and I wish his family all the best.

As for a previous poster, I'm really not sure why anyone should feel especially guilty now (as opposed to whilst he was alive) for slagging him off so much.

It was either out of order or not, regardless of this tragedy.

I'm shocked by this, and I wish his family all the best.

As for a previous poster, I'm really not sure why anyone should feel especially guilty now (as opposed to whilst he was alive) for slagging him off so much.

It was either out of order or not, regardless of this tragedy.

Being at Barnsley that day, was one of the only times I've felt properly ashamed of our 'support' and one of the rare times I've left 50 minutes into a match. That's in just about 30 years of watching us play at 70+ league grounds by the way. A lot of games.

Richard Butcher sadly passing away at an age far too young just reminded me of that vile abuse he copped for, which is wrong because I should have clearer memories of him slotting that last minute winner against Colchester, or getting us up and running against Bradford on Boxing Day 2005. I don't know why, but it just sticks in the mind a lot more.