Interesting Stat

More would go to FA cup games if there was potential for the tie to be settled with a dramatic extra time goal or a penalty shoot out.

There are too many games played in England. One of the (many) reasons we lag behind the rest of Europe & look jaded in tournaments is we have an extra cup competition, all the other top leagues just have one.

I wouldn't want to get rid of either of the cups, but settling a tie on the day would help clear up the fixture list. It would also stop ridiculous situations such as this weekend where City & i think Chelsea have 4th round replays on 5th round weekend.

More would go to FA cup games if there was potential for the tie to be settled with a dramatic extra time goal or a penalty shoot out.

There are too many games played in England. One of the (many) reasons we lag behind the rest of Europe & look jaded in tournaments is we have an extra cup competition, all the other top leagues just have one.

I wouldn't want to get rid of either of the cups, but settling a tie on the day would help clear up the fixture list. It would also stop ridiculous situations such as this weekend where City & i think Chelsea have 4th round replays on 5th round weekend.

so we play man u at home in the fa cup and we draw you rather have it as a replay at old trafford or settle it on the night ? hmm i know what i'd rather do.

I'd rather settle it on the night. If we've got United down to our level at BP (or Ashton :wink: ) then we've much more chance of beating them than going to OT two weeks later to play a full 90 minutes in front of a massive crowd of reds.

As for the financial aspect; when was the last time we had a big cash windfall from a replay? It doesn't happen often enough for that argument to hold any water.

Replays are an outdated legacy of an era prior to the advent of European football, the League Cup, competitive International football & a 92 team league.

I'd keep it on a Saturday & I'd vehemently oppose a seeded draw, but replays I'd get rid of.

I don't want to please the Premier League, I want to benefit the England team by aiding fixture congestion.

I wouldn't do this by dropping a cup competition because they're proving an ideal environment for clubs to cultivate young talent, which can only be good for English football.

I'd rather settle it on the night. If we've got United down to our level at BP (or Ashton :wink: ) then we've much more chance of beating them than going to OT two weeks later to play a full 90 minutes in front of a massive crowd of reds.

As for the financial aspect; when was the last time we had a big cash windfall from a replay? It doesn't happen often enough for that argument to hold any water.

Replays are an outdated legacy of an era prior to the advent of European football, the League Cup, competitive International football & a 92 team league.

but think of the night out and the money the club would get, its massive !!

I reckon all Prem FA cup games could be made 1 leg but its not fair to make it 1 leg for a lesser team v a Prem , half the magic of the cup is griding out a draw at your place to get a big replay at the Prem clubs ground

Bollocks to the prem clubs whining about replays. If they dont want a replay cos they have european games then they should field a full strength team in the first match. The F.A cup is the best cup competition in the world, why change it? Im sure i read somewhere that they are talking about seeding the teams in it as well.

As for playing to many games over here compared to other countries, half of most of the others countries squads play over here so why are only our players jaded and not the foreign ones who play over here?

Bollocks to the prem clubs whining about replays. If they dont want a replay cos they have european games then they should field a full strength team in the first match. The F.A cup is the best cup competition in the world, why change it? Im sure i read somewhere that they are talking about seeding the teams in it as well.

As for playing to many games over here compared to other countries, half of most of the others countries squads play over here so why are only our players jaded and not the foreign ones who play over here?

fully agree with you, the premier league has far to much control over the english football.

Thats a good point, and i must admit you got me thinking. But look at the world cup finalists: Spain - Torres is the only starter playing in England. The Dutch - Kuyt, De Jong, Van Persie playing in England.

We have a whole squad playing the full English season, not a select few.

but think of the night out and the money the club would get, its massive !!

Its a lottery Lee. We've gone years without a replay at a big club. We'd be just as likely to get big cash windfall from a big game away from home in the next round after winning a penalty shootout

Agreed i like to see replays played on a Saturday also only problem is rearranging fixtures or say by luck three local teams are at home and one happens to have Millwall. Agree the latest proposals are crap in Germany the smaller clubs get the tie at home. Although if this was brought into this country alot of fans would miss out on trips to crowds they would never get the chance to go to.

Reason some many replays being played this weekend is due to the tv companies and the International friendlies last week.

Wigan are Bolton's nearest rivals (ground to ground), there are only 7.5 miles between the two grounds. Yet how many did Bolton take? Forget seeding, I think the FA cup should actually think about going the other way. Have qualifiers, with a bit of seeding so conference teams get a few rounds off and then every league club enters in the first round. Let anyone play their kids if they want, those clubs who don't care about the FA cup, because its not that important as they are more concerned about the CL or staying in the Premiership, or getting promoted can then have more time to play rearranged fixtures. Man Ure probably made somewhere around £1.2 million from their third round tie alone, take the FA cup away and even the big clubs will notice it on their balance sheets, not to mention the likes of Notts County or Crawley.

Man United (youths) v. Arsenal (youths) in the first round in November sounds great. Oldham Atletic v. Rochdale in the sixth round sounds great. If the big clubs don't care about the cup, and its obvious that most don't until about the 5th/6th round- then why should they benefit from the extra prize money because they are bigger clubs.

Its weird that out of the top 30 clubs in the country (the Prem and the top 10 in the Championship), how many have played a "full" team in the cup? I reckon its at most 10, I mean we even rested the likes of Lee and Furman. The best cup competition in the world is being slowly devalued year on year, ever since the FA forced PLC to drop out to play in the world club championship thing, to improve our chances of a successful world cup bid- how did that one work out?

Either that or force everyone to play a team with so many first-teamers in, sort of like the JPT rules.