Body Language & Leadership

Not taking into account tactics & selection - I have to say that the body language from the players yesterday was extremeley worrying; more worrying IMO than the poor 4-5-1 and the subs....

At the start of the 2nd half; when the players were having a nice game of 'ring a ring of roses' led by Paul Butler before KO; most of them didnt look 'up for it', they looked flat to me and weren't zipping around or seemed fired up.

When the 1st goal went in; I thought it was staggering to see the amount of heads that went down immediately; the dropped heads, slumped shoulders on show from almost all of the team was unbelievable.

Not 1 player was looking to gee up the team; not 1 player puffed out his chest and looked to make an example, not 1 player looked like they had any confidence in the ability of the team to come back from a goal down. We have a Captain who is suppose to fill that role; but I didnt see or hear a peep out of Dale Stephens either before, or after that 1st goal....let alone as the others were flying in. Nothing from Trotman, Todd or Taylor either - and Sam Mantom looked like he was going to cry at any moment......

I'm aware that we have an extremely young group of players - with a young management team in place looking after them - but what is blatantly obvious to me is that we just dont have any leaders, any 'voices' on the pitch, and that has cost us so many times this season (Exeter at home anyone??)

And dont even get me started on Cedric Evina.............i'd be ashamed coming into training if i was him - man up FFS; show some spirit & some pride instead of looking to hide and not get back on the pitch. We've all been there; we all know it hurts when you get one in 'that area' but the best way to 'get over it' is to run it off, so take a deep breath and get back on the sodding pitch. He bottled it, didnt want to know and was ignoring Taggart & Dickov as they screamed at him to get back on.....shocking from a professional player; whether they be a young lad or a seasoned pro....that little episode summed up the game from our players; attitude wise.

A big worry - they look 'shot' - confidence looks to have gone and the belief of early season has disappeared.....

I'm off to find a cat to kick - I hope Dickov is somewhere writing up a call to arms speach that he then gives to players; complete with more than 1 or 2 home truths in it..........

A big worry - they look 'shot'

1) They ain't been paid.

2) They've played 15 games in 57 days.

3) They probably realised the moment that the play-off contender tag left them.

4) The squad is not small. Alternatives do exist.

All the points in your post are accurate. Hopefully there are some answers:

1 - Pay them. And make sure late wages doesn't happen again. It's a basic expectation of any employee to receive wages on time.

2 - A midweek with no fixture couldn't have come soon enough. A week to breathe is much needed.

3 - You ain't been paid, you concede a goal to a side just above you and you may (subconsciously) think it isn't really your week.

4 - Alessandra, Jones, Alibaba, Feeney, Reid, Black, Hazell, Brooke, Millar and others. If tiredness is one of the issues we have choices to deal with it.

If the wide players aren't holding the ball up well enough, Alessandra is an option. If Lee isn't working as well on the overlap, perhaps linking up with Jones again is an option. If Todd is struggling at age 36 then maybe Hazell should be brought back in. If Brooke is "the most natural finisher at the club" then maybe start him alongside Tonk or Feeney. If Alibaba's 45 mniutes in the reserves really was good, then let's see if he can procide the spark that's vanished in the middle of the park.

I think Dickov may have fed them a few home truths. A dressing down in the dressing room, then move on to a week of lighter training and a couple of key changes for Saturday's tough away game. I'm not suggesting all the changes above will be made but I'd probably start next week with:

Amos

Lee

Evina

Hazell

Trotman (lose some weight Neal)

Stephens

Mantom

Morais or Taylor

Alessandra

Feeney

Brooke

I love Tonk, but he's done for at the moment. I rate White, but believe he could be more of a threat against a tired full back with 20 minutes left. Perhaps Reid is the most likely to score, but I'm not convinced by his attitude yet (although maybe time on the pitch is a solution).

Edited by opinions4u

In terms of leadership and someone to stand up and be counted if thats not there then why on earth is Todd in the team? He is so unfit and slow its unreal so he must bring something in organisation and leadership but he brings :censored: all.

He doesn't say a word and I commented on that during the Carlise game. Be better playing McDonald than Todd. Not fit to lace Gregans boots, for me shows what a joke letting our best player leave was.

I don't know how Cedric could be singled out, he was one of the only ones who gave a :censored: yesterday. My MoM, in a 0-5 defeat our left back was our best player in terms of commitment, desire and willingness to keep going. The lad took one full in the happysack and still came back on.

Trotman too kept going, crunched one of their lads in the corner then took a trip onto the RRE concrete, got up and ran it off.

Not taking into account tactics & selection - I have to say that the body language from the players yesterday was extremeley worrying; more worrying IMO than the poor 4-5-1 and the subs....

At the start of the 2nd half; when the players were having a nice game of 'ring a ring of roses' led by Paul Butler before KO; most of them didnt look 'up for it', they looked flat to me and weren't zipping around or seemed fired up.

When the 1st goal went in; I thought it was staggering to see the amount of heads that went down immediately; the dropped heads, slumped shoulders on show from almost all of the team was unbelievable.

Not 1 player was looking to gee up the team; not 1 player puffed out his chest and looked to make an example, not 1 player looked like they had any confidence in the ability of the team to come back from a goal down. We have a Captain who is suppose to fill that role; but I didnt see or hear a peep out of Dale Stephens either before, or after that 1st goal....let alone as the others were flying in. Nothing from Trotman, Todd or Taylor either - and Sam Mantom looked like he was going to cry at any moment......

I'm aware that we have an extremely young group of players - with a young management team in place looking after them - but what is blatantly obvious to me is that we just dont have any leaders, any 'voices' on the pitch, and that has cost us so many times this season (Exeter at home anyone??)

And dont even get me started on Cedric Evina.............i'd be ashamed coming into training if i was him - man up FFS; show some spirit & some pride instead of looking to hide and not get back on the pitch. We've all been there; we all know it hurts when you get one in 'that area' but the best way to 'get over it' is to run it off, so take a deep breath and get back on the sodding pitch. He bottled it, didnt want to know and was ignoring Taggart & Dickov as they screamed at him to get back on.....shocking from a professional player; whether they be a young lad or a seasoned pro....that little episode summed up the game from our players; attitude wise.

A big worry - they look 'shot' - confidence looks to have gone and the belief of early season has disappeared.....

I'm off to find a cat to kick - I hope Dickov is somewhere writing up a call to arms speach that he then gives to players; complete with more than 1 or 2 home truths in it..........

Unfair on Evina, he was one of the better players yesterday. Only voice on the pitch is Amos,Taylor has the voice, he just uses it wrong by constantly shouting at the ref. Todd should be a leader on the pitch, but he hasn't been doing it.

For Borunemouth game, my team would be:

Amos

Lee

Hazell

Trotman

Evina

Jones

Stephens

Medi

Alice

Tonk

Brooke

I don't know how Cedric could be singled out, he was one of the only ones who gave a :censored: yesterday. My MoM, in a 0-5 defeat our left back was our best player in terms of commitment, desire and willingness to keep going. The lad took one full in the happysack and still came back on.

Trotman too kept going, crunched one of their lads in the corner then took a trip onto the RRE concrete, got up and ran it off.

probably because most of the goals came from his side of the pitch..hes a young lad but got dragged out of position too many times they just looked up and fired it over the top to the winger,acres of space to pick the perfect pass...so how can you say he was man of the match????

stephens was probably one of the only ones,along with todd and moraise who never gave up....

For a defender Evina lacks composure and has been hoofing it under pressure, I wonder if he is being instructed to clear the ball as soon as possible and this is creating panic.

It seems to me a lot of goals are being scored at the far post on Lee's side, I would like to see the stats on this.

For a defender Evina lacks composure and has been hoofing it under pressure, I wonder if he is being instructed to clear the ball as soon as possible and this is creating panic.

It seems to me a lot of goals are being scored at the far post on Lee's side, I would like to see the stats on this.

Just ask to see Duxbury's notes.. he must have it somewhere on all the paper..

I noticed the same before the kick-off in the first half. Said it it the person sat next to me. The lads were not up for the challenge. Maybe not being paid can go some way to explaining it however...

In terms of leadership and someone to stand up and be counted if thats not there then why on earth is Todd in the team? He is so unfit and slow its unreal so he must bring something in organisation and leadership but he brings :censored: all.

He doesn't say a word and I commented on that during the Carlise game. Be better playing McDonald than Todd. Not fit to lace Gregans boots, for me shows what a joke letting our best player leave was.

I thought the same against Carlisle, not seen him play since but his body language worried me. Head down and hiding, thought he'd be bossing a young back line but I think he's being shown up for the bully is, now he's struggling he's nothing to say

<stands by for an attack from the player share brigade>

Cedric Evina simply isn’t a left back for me at all. He has a future in the game; but that for me is as a left midfielder. Defensively he is a weak link; and I for one am far more comfortable with Paul Black in at left back; as whilst he doesn’t offer as much as Evina going forward (but he’s not too shabby in that respect anyway), for me he is a better outright defender.

I’m possibly ‘old school’ in my views; but I prefer my defenders to defend first; then attack second – namely; I want a LB who is solid defensively and when appropriate, can join in further forward if needed on the overlap. He barely gets a mention when ex-loanees are referred too; but Stuart Giddings was my ideal LB for our level. No nonsense and a defender first & foremost. Black isn’t as defensively aware as him, or a Simon Charlton type, but he is a dam sight more than Evina.

I singled out Evina more so than some of the other ‘head droppers’ from Saturday because; even before he got the ball in the meat & veg, he didn’t want to know anyway. His head had completely gone after the 1st goal, his positional awareness disappeared (& its not that great even when he’s on it), he bottled out of tackles and looked like a little boy playing in a man’s game; just like Sam Mantom did. The ball in the nuts was used to it’s full effect by him; as he didn’t actually want to come back on at all.........after so much shouting from Tags & PD; he eventually dragged himself on to the pitch again – so unlike Beeg Teets who applaudes him for coming back on; I’m saying it’s not something to praise him for; as he actually didn’t want to come back on at all – he wanted to be in the changing room having a shower; far far way from the pitch as possible......

so unlike Beeg Teets who applaudes him for coming back on; I’m saying it’s not something to praise him for; as he actually didn’t want to come back on at all – he wanted to be in the changing room having a shower; far far way from the pitch as possible......

I'll hold my hands up, I had already been convinced by Cedric before meatntattiesgate, he did a lung busting run to block a shot when we were already several goals down. I did miss him blousing after his gender-realignment surgery as being the glutton for punishment I was watching the game, however in the scheme of things on the day his crime for wanting to spend a bit of 'me time' is far less than some of the criminal schoolboy basics that were carried out on that pitch.

I'll hold my hands up, I had already been convinced by Cedric before meatntattiesgate, he did a lung busting run to block a shot when we were already several goals down. I did miss him blousing after his gender-realignment surgery as being the glutton for punishment I was watching the game, however in the scheme of things on the day his crime for wanting to spend a bit of 'me time' is far less than some of the criminal schoolboy basics that were carried out on that pitch.

It’s a game of opinions & I’m well aware of that........you have him as MoM, I have him as one of the chief of the ‘head down, towel thrown in’ brigade. You say Tomatoe, I say.........

Forgetting about Evina; the sheer fact that so many of them lost the plot and gave up on Saturday is a massive worry for me. We lack voices, and we lack on the pitch leaders.........and as we have so many young lads in the squad it’s a big worry.

I’m possibly ‘old school’ in my views; but I prefer my defenders to defend first; then attack second – namely; I want a LB who is solid defensively and when appropriate, can join in further forward if needed on the overlap.

From what i saw last season we had a player like that, jacobson. he's gone now but if he hadnt got injured, i think he could have been a good player.combine black and evina and there's a good player but theyre not consistent enough.

if we'd kept going after the first goal and not given up, then i think we could have got something out of the game. it might have been to do with wages but that match has pretty much blown our hopes of a playoff chance, i can't see them doing that on purpose