What do seasons 06/07 08/09 10/11 all have in common?

Answer: A large percentage of the squad with contracts up at the end of these respective seasons.

Different squads, different managers same outcome? another end of season capitulation. The only constant is that on each occasion is the contract situation of most of the core of the 1st team. Uncertainty over your future is going to be an unwelcome distraction, plus if your a player in the dressing room and you look round at other players and they are all weighing up their options its going to have an effect on you as well.

Their is an argument here that says that the players should be playing for a contract and should be professional about it however if you playing for a contract your effectively playing for yourself rather than the team. The problems in 06/07 seemed to start around about the time Chris Porter turned down a contract, you have to worry if things like this have a detrimental effect on the rest of the squad. Currently I'm watching Tounkara play like he’s going through the motions and like he's more worried about what he's doing next season rather than what he's doing on the pitch now. He's not the only one you could probably add Trotman and white to that list in recent games. The one player who was carrying the team for large chunks last night was Dale Stephens who is contracted to us for another season maybe more? You have to therefore wonder if this squad was tied down next year to us and therefore they were given a straightforward choice between playing for Oldham in league 1 or the championship we would have had the recent run that we have.

I understand that currently with the financial instability of the club that dishing out long-term contracts just isn't feasible but if your looking for an answer to this biannual process of a late February meltdown that’s the conclusion I seem to keep coming too

Thoughts?

You're assuming that they have the mental capacity to think about what'll happen for them next season.

They can't even remember the drills they're taught to stop the opposition scoring from corners. I doubt they're thinking that far ahead.

Answer: A large percentage of the squad with contracts up at the end of these respective seasons.

Different squads, different managers same outcome? another end of season capitulation. The only constant is that on each occasion is the contract situation of most of the core of the 1st team. Uncertainty over your future is going to be an unwelcome distraction, plus if your a player in the dressing room and you look round at other players and they are all weighing up their options its going to have an effect on you as well.

Their is an argument here that says that the players should be playing for a contract and should be professional about it however if you playing for a contract your effectively playing for yourself rather than the team. The problems in 06/07 seemed to start around about the time Chris Porter turned down a contract, you have to worry if things like this have a detrimental effect on the rest of the squad. Currently I'm watching Tounkara play like he’s going through the motions and like he's more worried about what he's doing next season rather than what he's doing on the pitch now. He's not the only one you could probably add Trotman and white to that list in recent games. The one player who was carrying the team for large chunks last night was Dale Stephens who is contracted to us for another season maybe more? You have to therefore wonder if this squad was tied down next year to us and therefore they were given a straightforward choice between playing for Oldham in league 1 or the championship we would have had the recent run that we have.

I understand that currently with the financial instability of the club that dishing out long-term contracts just isn't feasible but if your looking for an answer to this biannual process of a late February meltdown that’s the conclusion I seem to keep coming too

Thoughts?

Or look at it another way. They have a great opportunity to either A) play for a new contract or B ) put themselves in the shop window for other clubs, Either way, if they want to stay in the game they should be really putting a shift in to make sure that they give themselves the best opportunity to of winning a contract either here or somewhere else.

The problem with Shez's promotion push seasons, I think a lot of the players knew (and in fact i think Shez himself even said) that if we were to go up most wouldnt be good enough to make the step up. So where is the incentive to get us up? This season Dickov has said on a few occasions that a lot of our team have the ability to play at a higher level......and I think a lot of them have started to believe this hype without actually achieving anything!

Edited by Killens_physio

Or look at it another way. They have a great opportunity to either A) play for a new contract or B ) put themselves in the shop window for other clubs, Either way, if they want to stay in the game they should be really putting a shift in to make sure that they give themselves the best opportunity to of winning a contract either here or someone else.

The problem with Shez's promotion push seasons, I think a lot of the players knew (and in fact i think Shez himself even said) that if we were to go up most wouldnt be good enough to make the step up. So where is the incentive to get us up? This season Dickov has said on a few occasions that a lot of our team have the ability to play at a higher level......and I think a lot of them have started to believe this hype without actually achieving anything!

+1

On current form, the future for most of the team is at a level lower than League One. :disappointed: