Upgrading from iphone 3G to ?

danoafc

I'm looking to upgrade from my Apple iPhone 3G and wanted people's opinions on what was a good alternative.

To be honest, the only real reason that I'm looking to get rid of my current phone which I've had for 2 years is that the camera is absolute sh*te on the 3G, and there is no video. I pretty much like everything else about the phone other than it's lack of java.

Therfore I have been considering the iPhone 4 but was wondering about something like the HTC HD Sense or something. A friend at work has the Samsung Galaxy which is nice but not as 'slick' as Apple. I believe the Galaxy S2 is due out but I'm not sure that would swing it for me.

Any suggestions?

Ta!

Edited by danoafc

At this moment in time iPhone is the best in my opinion but the iphone 4 isn't a good enough reason for an upgrade in my opinion. Not from my 3GS anyways. The iPhone 4 still has the reception issue (only really a problem if you hold it in your left hand which I do) and its liable to smashing / scratching badly if you drop it.

iPhone 5 is due out in the summer and the wise man would hang on until then and drop onto a sim only month to month deal in the mean time. That is what I have done. Although given Apples recent quality control issues I am not holding out much hope for it. (iPad 2, new iMac and iPhone 4 all had / have major issues on launch with build issues)

Having played with quite a few android phones, they just simply aren't as good and as smooth as iOS. Unless you want more control over what you do with your phone then I would stick with the iPhone. One thing which is great with them is their customer services so if you need to return it due to QC issues, no problem. I got a refund without any problems for my iPad 2 due to build quality (major screen light issue with pretty much all of them). Although saying that, I don't know what the networks are like with returns if its on contract.

Edited by oafc0000

I'm upgrading from a 3G not a 3GS, so currently no video or anything.

Would be tempted by the iPhone 5 and that's primarily why I haven't upgraded so far (been due since last Nov when my 18m contact ran out). Only thing us there are lots of rumours about a delayed launch etc, and the relative cost of the 5 when it comes out is going to be fairly high I imagine, even as an upgrade.

Perhaps I should hold on another couple of months and see what news on the 5 before I make a decision.

iPhone 5's looking like a 2012 release according to latest rumours.

I will be amazed if Apple don't stick to their 12 month cycle for releasing product but who knows... I don't think I want to hang on until 2012 for a new phone... but if nothing better than the current crop come out then I might have to I suppose... If the rumour is true.

I will be amazed if Apple don't stick to their 12 month cycle for releasing product but who knows... I don't think I want to hang on until 2012 for a new phone... but if nothing better than the current crop come out then I might have to I suppose... If the rumour is true.

I assumed it would be an iPhone 4 mk2 a bit like the 3G/3GS approach.

However El Reg is reporting that the rumour mill has them working on the iPhone Nano and iPhone 5 for late 2011 or early 2012 release.

Her list of things is brilliantly awful:

• the release date could be June 6th, June 24th or September
  • there could be a new form factor – we have had curves and straight edges, may be it could be…gasp! white?
  • it could be called the iPhone 5 or the iPhone 4GS
  • it could have a larger screen and also a cheaper, smaller screen version (iPhone nano), but there is also a rumour that the size won’t change at all
  • it could have a glass back like the iPhone 4 or it a metal back which could then act as the antenna

I mean come on! It's going to be a colour, a shape, and a size?! No :censored:!

:lol:

Thanks for the link though, interesting to see she thinks it's still on target for a 2011 release.

Her list of things is brilliantly awful:

• the release date could be June 6th, June 24th or September
  • there could be a new form factor – we have had curves and straight edges, may be it could be…gasp! white?
  • it could be called the iPhone 5 or the iPhone 4GS
  • it could have a larger screen and also a cheaper, smaller screen version (iPhone nano), but there is also a rumour that the size won’t change at all
  • it could have a glass back like the iPhone 4 or it a metal back which could then act as the antenna

I mean come on! It's going to be a colour, a shape, and a size?! No :censored:!

Thanks for the link though, interesting to see she thinks it's still on target for a 2011 release.

I think, being fair to her, that she was merely recounting (and taking a tongue in cheek dig at) the rumour mill thus far, and not actually taking any credit for any of the info in there.

If they release it as the 4GS I would expect merely the iphone 4 with the specs of the ipad 2.

If they call it the iphone 5 would expect new form factor.

From what I have been reading from sources usually proved right...

Dual Core, 4G support, Antenna fixed, better battery, maybe a bigger screen...

To be honest, there still isn't going to be a great reason for me to upgrade probably...

If you put your 4 in an ice box cover the issue vanishes. My reception not a prob, no chance of damage and screen brilliant in all conditions. Not quite sure what people want really I have a small projector that works fine with mine up to 42 inch. no issues at all.

So you take your sexy little iPhone 4 with its beautiful glass back and stick it in an ugly cover and make it look like a :censored:ty mess and it "solves" the issues of it being weaker than create paper and to cover off the reception issues :)

One thing a "mobile" device should do is survive a couple of drop tests. The 3GS is really good. Had it for about two years, no case, no protection and besides a slightly knackered mute button there isn't a mark on it despite a drop or two. My mate dropped his iPhone 4 once from about 3 foot off a table while we was eating and the back cracked immediately.

It amazes how weak the iPad is as well... They bang on about how thin and sexy it is and then you have to stick it in a thick ugly wallet so the poor little thing dosent go to :censored: the first time the kid knocks it on the floor :)

Mobile devices need to be stronger than that IMO. Waits to be told he needs mobile insurance :D:lol:

Edited by oafc0000

I've got an iPhone 4 and it's amazing - except for making phone calls. I spoke to someone on a mate's prehistoric phone the other night and ruefully noted the superior sound quality.

To be fair that is a problem with every iPhone ever released. Its amazing how they just don't seem able to get the phone bit as good as the rest :)

I've had a 3GS and a iPhone4, and I have never ever had a problem making calls that I haven't had with any mobile I have ever used (basically, the network being a bit dicky).

I have a black plastic hard cover on mine (think Ack has the same) and it looks really smart. Doesn't really bulk the phone up at all. And basically, the whole thing is just a quality piece of kit.

Hmmmm

Having made the schoolboy error of purchasing my 3G a month before the 3GS came out :blush: , I may well sit tight until June or July to see if Apple do indeed stick with their regular pattern of release. If no news by then, I may just bit the bullet I think.

Hmmmm

Having made the schoolboy error of purchasing my 3G a month before the 3GS came out :blush: , I may well sit tight until June or July to see if Apple do indeed stick with their regular pattern of release. If no news by then, I may just bit the bullet I think.

Sounds like a good idea... I think I might be the same...

Just found a good reason to upgrade. The iPhone 4/5 allow you to turn your phone into a wifi hotspot and O2 are now including teethering with their data bundles for no extra charge. So will be a handy feature for whatever tablet I pick up in the coming months. Won't be hanging on till 2012. Plus I can always see it anyway. Apple products retain a lot of there value.

Edited by oafc0000