Best Ever League 1 Latics Team

Assistant: Philliskirk

Finally someone speaks some sense.

Here's my two penneth

GK: Gary Kelly

RB: Neal Eardley (he's twice the player that Keiran Lee is and thrice that of Kelvin Lomax)

LB: Ryan Betrand

CB: Fitz Hall

CB: Clint Hill

RW: Matty Rush (before he got crocked - otherwise Josh Low on a good day)

CM: Paul Murray

CM: Richie Wellens

LM: David Eyres

CF: Clyde Wijnhard (quality)

CF: Wayne Andrews (pace and annoying - perfect)

Manager: John Sheridan (Dowie plays for the Cambridge University Netball Team. Always has, always will)

Assistant: Tony Philliskirk

Kit: 07/08 Home

Edited by latic12345

GK: Pogliacomi

LB: Bertrand

CB: F Hall

CB: Gregan

RB: Eardley

LW: Eyres

CM: J Sheridan

CM: Wellens

RW: Croft

CF: Porter

CF: Hughes

Manager: J Sheridan

Assistant: Philliskirk

Kit: 2002/03 away

Edited by jsslatic

I was torn between him, Grant and Pogs but I never rated Kelly

Well Gary Kelly failed to make an appearance when i was watching Latics, think he was injured in 01/02 - From memory anyway

Pogs had to be the choice though, has been the best keeper in my time watching Latics anyway

Well Gary Kelly failed to make an appearance when i was watching Latics, think he was injured in 01/02 - From memory anyway

Pogs had to be the choice though, has been the best keeper in my time watching Latics anyway

Kelly played up until getting injured in December, we signed Rachubka, Kelly briefly returned in March before his final appearance for the club in 1-0 defeat at Wigan in March 2002. The week after we signed Goram to cover for Kelly. Miskelly finished the season - decently…

Edited by oafcprozac

Kelly played up until getting injured in December, we signed Rachubka, Kelly briefly returned in March before his final appearance for the club in 1-0 defeat at Wigan in March 2002. The week after we signed Goram to cover for Kelly. Miskelly finished the season - decently…

As for Tommy not rating Kelly? He played as much a part in keeping this club in this division that people like Shez, Beckett and Gregan have played, surely you have to admit that? As well as putting two match-winning displays v City in Dec '96 and March '99, saving penalties in both and is the best penalty saver I have seen since Paul Cooper was in his pomp. That alone secures legend status, before we mention his heroics at the JJB, Stoke a few times…yes he was a bit of short-arse and liked a beer and was lobbed and chipped for fun and was dodgy in the air because of this (height) but he's probably the best shot-stopper we've had since Goram in his first spell. He's the steadiest keeper we've had in the last 15 years, everyone else has blown hot and cold….and that includes the high profile loanees we've had….

Edited by oafcprozac

First game was against Blackpool in September 2001.. Not sure if Kelly played then but don't remember him playing at all, i remember us getting Rachubka in and him playing for a while, and who could forget the return of Andy Goram and the 7-1 defeat by Cardiff.. :)

I've never been a fan of goalkeepers who are slow off their line and don't come for crosses, I felt when Kelly left and Rachubka came in (eventually replaced by Pogs) it showed what we'd been lacking

If you can watch back the goals we conceded with Rachubka in the team you'll see how dodgy he was. Chesterfield away mare, Peterborough away mare, Bournemouth (h) mare, Vale away cost us the game, Bristol City away iffy etc, etc, he was particularly poor on corners…. as was Pollitt a few years before who was awful on crosses..

Edited by oafcprozac

First game was against Blackpool in September 2001.. Not sure if Kelly played then but don't remember him playing at all, i remember us getting Rachubka in and him playing for a while, and who could forget the return of Andy Goram and the 7-1 defeat by Cardiff.. :)

He saved a pen that day!!! We won 2-1, winning 1-0 through mini-Shez, Lashers level through Ormerod I think, then Kelly saves a pen and Dux pops up with a late winner….

He saved a pen that day!!! We won 2-1, winning 1-0 through mini-Shez, Lashers level through Ormerod I think, then Kelly saves a pen and Dux pops up with a late winner….

haha proves me wrong then :) only really remember the dux goal

Edited by Latics_Fanatic