John Battye in The Chron

The problem in moving to Thameside would be estimating how many fans would we lose, if it was not easy to get to on public transport, against how many we may gain. Thameside is a big Man C area, but if promoted well, we could pick up more fans. Would we still be called Oldham Athletic or Oldham and Ashton Athletic?

If it were possible however I would much rather stay at BP if we could attract some investment.

I made the point about Manchester United because they too play outside of where thier name suggests, the club would still be Oldham Athletic. As for the fans we lose, if we don't move we could lose the club. So I have to say in a toss up between the two I couldn't give two hoots about losing fans, the club is what I support.

I'll be happy wherever we end up as long as the new stadium is new! I don't want a refurbished BP, many of these stadiums look poor. I can only think of one club who have been able to rebuild and expand thier stadium and make it look good and thats Old Trafford. I stand to be corrected on that point, just the only one off the top of my head.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made the point about Manchester United because they too play outside of where thier name suggests, the club would still be Oldham Athletic. As for the fans we lose, if we don't move we could lose the club. So I have to say in a toss up between the two I couldn't give two hoots about losing fans, the club is what I support.

I'll be happy wherever we end up as long as the new stadium is new! I don't want a refurbished BP, many of these stadiums look poor. I can only think of one club who have been able to rebuild and expand thier stadium and make it look good and thats Old Trafford. I stand to be corrected on that point, just the only one off the top of my head.

Some fans would probably see it as doing a Milton Keynes if we moved to tameside and any part of the name is changed. In my view, doing an 'MK' would constitute basically moving the club 50 miles away or more, miles away from the original fanbase, and renaming/rebranding the club. I think what made Milton Keynes unique was that the club moved 50 miles from its fanbase, and was essentially turned into a new club occupying wimbledons spot.

Whilst granted, some fans would not be happy moving to tameside, some would choose not to go because of this, heres how I would see things

The idea of moving to tameside: What I want to see as a fan is the club progress to, and establish itself in the 2nd tier of english football. Assuming that

- Tameside council would be happy to have us, and moving there was a possibility

- A site could not be found in Oldham that could facilitate Championship football, but could in Tameside

OR A site in tameside could be found that is head and shoulders above any site in Oldham

Then I would not be opposed to this

Now moving onto some of the issues that could come with moving to Tameside. I very much doubt we would be able to continue as Oldham Athletic, as I imagine tameside council would insist that tameside is incorporated into the name. So I would imagine the possibilites would be

1) Adapting the club name, eg Oldham and Tameside Athletic,

2) Completely removing Oldham from the name, eg Tameside FC, Tameside Athletic

Personally, I would rather watch the club under a different name or an adapted name play in a new stadium that can underprin progress to the next level than watch Oldham Athletic continue to limp along and gradually climb down the football league ladder. The only way I would accept staying put would be if BP as it is was demolished, and a new stadium was built in its place. Like Oldhamandy, I do not want a half arsed patched up done on the cheap 'redevelopment', if this happens then that will be it for me, as any such redevelopment will mean many more years of football at this level.

Edited by Lookers_Carl

lets hope the rugby are still involved with his ''unfinished business''

That's part of the issue; to get an all singing all dancing BP project back on track will no doubt require the Rugby sharing .It's all very quiet.................

That's part of the issue; to get an all singing all dancing BP project back on track will no doubt require the Rugby sharing .It's all very quiet.................

Said all along, the key to truly getting both the council and the townsfolk fully on board is a dual use stadium with community facilities - like at Leigh….

Said all along, the key to truly getting both the council and the townsfolk fully on board is a dual use stadium with community facilities - like at Leigh….

That went well for the football team who are now playing amatuer level. I remember them being in the conference about 5 6 years ago.

That went well for the football team who are now playing amatuer level. I remember them being in the conference about 5 6 years ago.

Look at the bigger picture!!!!! The stadium supports both the football club, RL Club and the wider community with some great community facilities surrounding and second to none corporate facilities.

Not sure if what been told is correct now, as should of been an announcement by now apparently.. But the source would know alot about the plans..

Same here, I heard stuff a good couple of months ago…heard nowt since…would have thought it would have been announced by now….

Same here, I heard stuff a good couple of months ago…heard nowt since…would have thought it would have been announced by now….

i got told a few days after supposed to be announcement, got told that some last min negotiations needed to take place with 2 people and hopefully announcement shortly, but that was few weeks ago so guessing their still on-going currently..

Look at the bigger picture!!!!! The stadium supports both the football club, RL Club and the wider community with some great community facilities surrounding and second to none corporate facilities.

What bigger picture? The football dosnt play there. They played about 7 matches there they spent nearly two seasons playing at Atherton LR. Now there not even semi pro because of it all. All I'm saying is Leigh is a bad example

What bigger picture? The football dosnt play there. They played about 7 matches there they spent nearly two seasons playing at Atherton LR. Now there not even semi pro because of it all. All I'm saying is Leigh is a bad example

:petesake:

Except OMBC havent found any money to help. There are no ongoing projects or money put aside to help the football club from OMBC. Time will prove me right, however, if you have a source which contradicts this, please reveal this.

They have found some money though. Source is someone who knows alot about it.